Wilson Sonsini (Palo Alto) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Wilson Sonsini (Palo Alto)

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:40 pm

Wondering about Wilson Sonsini Palo Alto - have an offer there, but wondering if anyone could chime in on their current strength in corporate work in the valley. Are they still considered the top firm in the Bay Area for corporate? Also, there are a bunch of TLS threads re: Wilson Sonsini from around 2010-2012 and people consistently referring to the firm as a bit of a sweatshop. I wonder if that culture has changed at all? I know it seems like they seem to champion the LAUNCH program (i.e. keeping juniors as generalists for some time early on).

Anonymous User

Re: Wilson Sonsini (Palo Alto)

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:55 pm

I don't work there but have good friends who do.

Your experience will heavily depend on what group you get slotted into. Launch helps by allowing you to experiment with groups. Unfortunately the biggest groups (Pacific, Saper, to a lesser extent Presidio) tend to be sweatshops.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I don't work there but have good friends who do.

Your experience will heavily depend on what group you get slotted into. Launch helps by allowing you to experiment with groups. Unfortunately the biggest groups (Pacific, Saper, to a lesser extent Presidio) tend to be sweatshops.
Thanks! How do your friends feel about the potential exit options?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I don't work there but have good friends who do.

Thanks! How do your friends feel about the potential exit options?
very bullish

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:37 am

Does anyone know what the facetime requirement is at WSGR? Also whether juniors share offices/have internal offices early on?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:24 pm

Sorry if this is irrelevant, but if Palo Alto offers have gone out, have other offices' offers gone out as well?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sorry if this is irrelevant, but if Palo Alto offers have gone out, have other offices' offers gone out as well?
Which office? Palo Alto has the largest class and has been extending offers since pre-OCI (job fairs and such)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:30 pm

DC?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Sorry if this is irrelevant, but if Palo Alto offers have gone out, have other offices' offers gone out as well?
Which office? Palo Alto has the largest class and has been extending offers since pre-OCI (job fairs and such)
Okay good. I'm looking at an East Coast satellite

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:DC?
I was told I'd hear within 2 weeks from my CB last week, but nothing since.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Wondering about Wilson Sonsini Palo Alto - have an offer there, but wondering if anyone could chime in on their current strength in corporate work in the valley. Are they still considered the top firm in the Bay Area for corporate? Also, there are a bunch of TLS threads re: Wilson Sonsini from around 2010-2012 and people consistently referring to the firm as a bit of a sweatshop. I wonder if that culture has changed at all? I know it seems like they seem to champion the LAUNCH program (i.e. keeping juniors as generalists for some time early on).
First off, congrats on your offer.

Former summer in PA office and will be returning. Worked with all three of the corporate groups mentioned above and did not really pick up on a "sweatshop" vibe among associates. Hopefully people know what they're getting into if they join a big law firm. I had heard similar rumors about the firm when I went through the recruiting process (mostly from TLS), but I was pleasantly surprised by how things turned out. I got the sense that the Launch program has definitely helped associates get a better feel for different groups and finding work that interests them. Launch also helps balance the workload across the corporate associates in different groups.

Echoing the other anon, I wouldn't be too concerned about exit opps - after a couple years, seems like associates had great options if they choose to leave. The few exits i saw over the summer were, unsurprisingly, in-house positions with top tech clients.

I don't think WSGR (or biglaw in general) is for everybody, but I think your experience can be as good/bad as you want it to be.

I'd be happy to PM you or connect offline if you have more specific questions about the firm or the summer program.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Wondering about Wilson Sonsini Palo Alto - have an offer there, but wondering if anyone could chime in on their current strength in corporate work in the valley. Are they still considered the top firm in the Bay Area for corporate? Also, there are a bunch of TLS threads re: Wilson Sonsini from around 2010-2012 and people consistently referring to the firm as a bit of a sweatshop. I wonder if that culture has changed at all? I know it seems like they seem to champion the LAUNCH program (i.e. keeping juniors as generalists for some time early on).

Former summer in PA office and will be returning. Worked with all three of the corporate groups mentioned above and did not really pick up on a "sweatshop" vibe among associates. Hopefully people know what they're getting into if they join a big law firm. I had heard similar rumors about the firm when I went through the recruiting process (mostly from TLS), but I was pleasantly surprised by how things turned out. I got the sense that the Launch program has definitely helped associates get a better feel for different groups and finding work that interests them. Launch also helps balance the workload across the corporate associates in different groups.

Echoing the other anon, I wouldn't be too concerned about exit opps - after a couple years, seems like associates had great options if they choose to leave. The few exits i saw over the summer were, unsurprisingly, in-house positions with top tech clients.

I don't think WSGR (or biglaw in general) is for everybody, but I think your experience can be as good/bad as you want it to be.

I'd be happy to PM you or connect offline if you have more specific questions about the firm or the summer program.
Thanks! Randomly - do you know what the office situation (i.e. internal/external or shared/solo) is like for a 1st year associate?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks! Randomly - do you know what the office situation (i.e. internal/external or shared/solo) is like for a 1st year associate?
Sure - I saw a mixture of internal and external offices. If you've visited, you know the office layout is a bit quirky with different wings, which makes for lot of offices with windows. (Internal offices were reserved mainly for paralegals and other office support staff).

To my knowledge (admittedly, I only worked in the main "650" building), always solo. I did not see any shared offices.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

other anon from above. depends on the group you are sitting with. nobody shares offices. if you are sitting with pacific you will probably have an interior office.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:57 pm

Launchers rotate offices every six months (four rotations). You only get an interior once. I don't think it really matters all that much which group you sit in re interior. No lawyer shares. In fact I don't even think paralegals share. We have a lot of office space. This is all re launch/general corporate in Palo Alto.

The sweatshop thing I think is just a thing said a few times that now gets repeated. I don't think we work any harder than Fenwick/Cooley, for the most part. Maybe, if you tend to work on the bigger deals, you work slightly more. But that's the nature of doing LinkedIn, NetSuite, Lyft, etc's biggest deals.

I think its a great place to work. Exit options appear to be simply top notch.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:03 am

Is WSGR still largely considered slightly above cooley and fenwick?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:26 am

Different anon with an offer and am curious about the group system. How do we know which group does what? Should I just ask one of the associates I interviewed with?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:27 pm

Mind me asking what the turnaround is for the Palo Alto office?
Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Mind me asking what the turnaround is for the Palo Alto office?
Thanks!
I've heard their hiring committee meets every Wednesday. And offers usually go out that same afternoon/evening

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Mind me asking what the turnaround is for the Palo Alto office?
Thanks!
I've heard their hiring committee meets every Wednesday. And offers usually go out that same afternoon/evening
I got an offer on a Wednesday evening...not sure of anything beyond that, though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Thanks!
I got an offer on a Wednesday evening...not sure of anything beyond that, though.
Same

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:53 pm

Any thoughts on lit at WSGR?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:13 pm

Does WSGR do any corporate work out of the SF office?

What are the chances a lateral has at landing in the SF office (I am looking to lateral from an NYC v5 but I will not work in the valley)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does WSGR do any corporate work out of the SF office?

What are the chances a lateral has at landing in the SF office (I am looking to lateral from an NYC v5 but I will not work in the valley)
Former PA summer anon from above. WSGR seemed very lateral-friendly and on the lookout for talent, so you should definitely reach out if you're interested. Regarding the two SF offices, experience in the following corporate areas probably gives you the best shot for each...

SOMA office (139 Townsend): Start-ups
SF office (1 Market Street): M&A

Best of luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:Different anon with an offer and am curious about the group system. How do we know which group does what? Should I just ask one of the associates I interviewed with?
Congrats on the offer. Assuming this is an offer for the summer and you're leaning Corporate, you really don't need to worry about the different groups right now. As a summer doing corporate, you'll end up with a mix of projects from different groups depending on the type of work that interests you. There seemed to be a fair amount of overlap in the kind of work that the general corporate groups do anyway.

But sure, you can always reach out to the attorneys you interviewed with if you're particularly curious about the groups.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”