Latham (LA) vs. Skadden (NY) for corporate work

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Latham LA or Skadden NY

Latham LA
50%
Skadden NY
50%

Total votes: 18

Anonymous User

Latham (LA) vs. Skadden (NY) for corporate work

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:05 am

This seems like it would be an easy call on paper given my interest in corporate work. But, I'm having trouble wrapping my head around accepting at Skadden because I don't think it would be a great personality fit - whereas, with Latham I got the "gut feeling" that I would like the people/culture of the office/city.

Some additional info:
Not from either of these two regions, though I think living in LA would be preferable to NY.
Within corporate, I don't know what type of work I want to do.
I like that the LA firms generally don't require as much face time.

So, I'm looking for some additional opinions/feedback on this choice to give me better information to make a decision. I think it boils down to - am I crazy for not going with Skadden given my interest in corporate work? Thanks.

On a sidenote - if anyone has any info on the commute from Santa Monica to DTLA, that would be much appreciated.

Anonymous User

Re: Latham (LA) vs. Skadden (NY) for corporate work

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:45 am

At Latham, you are unassigned for your first two years, so that would sort of give you an opportunity to figure out which corporate practice you want to focus on.

SLS_AMG

Bronze

Postby SLS_AMG » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:00 am

These cities are polar opposites. They have almost nothing in common besides both being large cities. I think you should really do your best to learn about both of them, because few New Yorkers could enjoy living in Los Angeles, and vice-versa. Are you at least from California, and/or have you spent a lot of time in L.A.? To me it's the type of city that you either love or hate, and there's not much in-between. I suppose the same can be said of NYC, too, though.

And the commute from SM to DTLA is awful. I wouldn't live that far away.

cookiejar1

Silver

Postby cookiejar1 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:52 am

While I think the two firms do meaningfully different kinds of corporate work (especially when you consider something narrower like the types of clients these firms represent in M&A transactions), you should be basing this decision off of which city you rather live in.

If you're not from LA you might literally burn out from the SM to DTLA commute alone. Seriously. LA natives were bred for this type of dehumanizing shit but I worry for the transplants. It really is hell for them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:02 pm

Could go with either

leslieknope

Silver

Postby leslieknope » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:13 pm

cookiejar1 wrote:While I think the two firms do meaningfully different kinds of corporate work (especially when you consider something narrower like the types of clients these firms represent in M&A transactions), you should be basing this decision off of which city you rather live in.

If you're not from LA you might literally burn out from the SM to DTLA commute alone. Seriously. LA natives were bred for this type of dehumanizing shit but I worry for the transplants. It really is hell for them.

I'm an LA native and I would rather die than subject myself to that commute while working biglaw hours. Maybe this alleged new metro to Santa Monica makes things better but if I had to rely on the 10 to do it? Never ever. OP, there are some nice neighborhoods much closer to DTLA; if you're in LA or Latham will fly you for a second look, I would definitely recommend spending some time there and seeing if you could live on the east side and be happy. Feel free to PM me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This seems like it would be an easy call on paper given my interest in corporate work. But, I'm having trouble wrapping my head around accepting at Skadden because I don't think it would be a great personality fit - whereas, with Latham I got the "gut feeling" that I would like the people/culture of the office/city.

Some additional info:
Not from either of these two regions, though I think living in LA would be preferable to NY.
Within corporate, I don't know what type of work I want to do.
I like that the LA firms generally don't require as much face time.

So, I'm looking for some additional opinions/feedback on this choice to give me better information to make a decision. I think it boils down to - am I crazy for not going with Skadden given my interest in corporate work? Thanks.

On a sidenote - if anyone has any info on the commute from Santa Monica to DTLA, that would be much appreciated.

Agree that this is really about which city you want to live in as both are top players in their respective cities and both HQ offices.

I will say, though, as a current Skadden junior that facetime is not a huge requirement here at all. At least in my experience and in the experience of my friends in the firm, no one cares if you're here so long as you're getting your work done. Are you going to be here a lot working? Yeah, of course. But if you aren't busy, no one cares if you aren't around. If they aren't looking for you, they won't even know you aren't here. This place is massive.

SLS_AMG

Bronze

Postby SLS_AMG » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:33 pm

I actually like LA, but if I were gonna be there it'd have to be at a firm in Century City. I'm not sold on DTLA's Renaissance yet, and don't like the east LA neighborhoods.

Also agree you should choose based on city, which is what I was trying to get at in my post.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:57 pm

You would not commute from santa monica. That is an entirely different city. Do you understand LA and its urban landscape? To reasonably commute downtown you can live IN downtown, in south pas, in echo park/silverlake, in ktown, or in mid-wilshire. Otherwise you are living somewhere highly undesirable or spending 3+ hours on the road.

Yes, I recognize there are exceptions and everyone has a friend that commutes from Venice. These people have highly idiosyncratic lifestyles: they wake up and sleep at bizarre hours to work around traffic and place an abnormally high value on some other QoL indicator, like surfing. This is not realistic for a first year associate.

Insofar as transactional practice is concerned, New York has the most sophisticated work, but Latham is the top of the LA market for many corporate areas whereas Skadden shares with Cravath/DPW/ect. Industry mix is important; do you want mostly financial clients (large banks, insurance brokerages, ect), or something else? My sense is the associate experience would be better in LA and at Latham, unless there's a downturn.

SLS_AMG

Bronze

Postby SLS_AMG » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:11 pm

jbagelboy wrote:You would not commute from santa monica. That is an entirely different city. Do you understand LA and its urban landscape? To reasonably commute downtown you can live IN downtown, in south pas, in echo park/silverlake, in ktown, or in mid-wilshire. Otherwise you are living somewhere highly undesirable or spending 3+ hours on the road.

Yes, I recognize there are exceptions and everyone has a friend that commutes from Venice. These people have highly idiosyncratic lifestyles: they wake up and sleep at bizarre hours to work around traffic and place an abnormally high value on some other QoL indicator, like surfing. This is not realistic for a first year associate.

Insofar as transactional practice is concerned, New York has the most sophisticated work, but Latham is the top of the LA market for many corporate areas whereas Skadden shares with Cravath/DPW/ect. Industry mix is important; do you want mostly financial clients (large banks, insurance brokerages, ect), or something else? My sense is the associate experience would be better in LA and at Latham, unless there's a downturn.

Yeah, OP, I feel maybe you aren't familiar enough with LA to make an informed decision here. I'd really try and take a second look and spend as many days as possible there if you're gonna seriously consider this, cause it seems like you might be idealizing the LA lifestyle (particularly since you asked about Santa Monica) too much. You will not be taking full advantage of beaches and weather as an associate.

Anyway, I'll shut up now, but I just worry a bit for people who decide to move to LA more or less sight unseen thinking they're gonna love it. More than perhaps any other major city in the country, I feel that you really have to know what you're getting into with LA.

cookiejar1

Silver

Postby cookiejar1 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:18 pm

LA is fucking great though, don't get us wrong.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:51 pm

OP here - thanks for the feedback so far re: LA.

I suspected the Santa Monica commute would be a bit much for an associate - and looks like even with the metro expansion, commute times will be 45min+ each way. I was planning on using airbnb this summer to spend a few weeks in a few areas to try and get a good feel for the QOL/fit in each neighborhood.

Again - thanks for the feedback and recommendations!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here - thanks for the feedback so far re: LA.

I suspected the Santa Monica commute would be a bit much for an associate - and looks like even with the metro expansion, commute times will be 45min+ each way. I was planning on using airbnb this summer to spend a few weeks in a few areas to try and get a good feel for the QOL/fit in each neighborhood.

Again - thanks for the feedback and recommendations!

Yea, that's not a bad idea. But try some realistic areas. There are great apartment buildings downtown that have much more economical $/sq ft than New York, SF or DC and lots of amenities (rooftop pools, ect.). Just 10 minutes northwest you can rent part of a house or a small apartment with a backyard and have a totally different lifestyle. That's probably the biggest contrast. But yea, while LA is an incredible city, its not immediately accessible.

Return to “Legal Employment�