Magic Circle Firms in the US

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Magic Circle Firms in the US

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:49 pm

I know this has been touched upon in other threads, but I'm hoping someone can shed some light on how working in the New York office of a Freshfields or Linklaters compares in terms of the type of deals, training, and options for lateraling 4-6 years down the road to working corporate at a V10 firm in NYC

I guess I haven't spoken with anyone who can really articulate clearly why working at a US satellite office of a big UK firm is potentially a drawback...but this seems to be the vibe I'm getting from the lawyers I've spoken with. Hoping TLS has some wisdom.

Anonymous User

Re: Magic Circle Firms in the US

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know this has been touched upon in other threads, but I'm hoping someone can shed some light on how working in the New York office of a Freshfields or Linklaters compares in terms of the type of deals, training, and options for lateraling 4-6 years down the road to working corporate at a V10 firm in NYC

I guess I haven't spoken with anyone who can really articulate clearly why working at a US satellite office of a big UK firm is potentially a drawback...but this seems to be the vibe I'm getting from the lawyers I've spoken with. Hoping TLS has some wisdom.

This is the problem. There is nothing wrong with these firms -- they just don't carry the same level of prestige as their UK counterparts. I wouldn't compare them to V10 firms in NY. I'd compare them to V50 firms. That's more where they're at.

Return to “Legal Employment�