Choosing a secondary market

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Choosing a secondary market

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:56 pm

I currently hold offers from firms in two different secondary markets (TX v Bos). Both pay market price. I'm curious what I should be looking at to help my decision. I want to do transactional work (really undecided on what type). Do vault rankings matter in these markets? Would lateral opportunities exist in my home state if I don't choose it now? If I choose TX will I be stuck in oil & gas/ restructurings? Obviously the COL is much cheaper in one than the other so I'm not sure how much weight I should give that. Any general market advice between the two would be helpful.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Re: Choosing a secondary market

Postby RaceJudicata » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I currently hold offers from firms in two different secondary markets (TX v Bos). Both pay market price. I'm curious what I should be looking at to help my decision. I want to do transactional work (really undecided on what type). Do vault rankings matter in these markets? Would lateral opportunities exist in my home state if I don't choose it now? If I choose TX will I be stuck in oil & gas/ restructurings? Obviously the COL is much cheaper in one than the other so I'm not sure how much weight I should give that. Any general market advice between the two would be helpful.

Does the Boston firm allow split summers? Most Texas firms do, so if you can swing a split summer go that route.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:16 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I currently hold offers from firms in two different secondary markets (TX v Bos). Both pay market price. I'm curious what I should be looking at to help my decision. I want to do transactional work (really undecided on what type). Do vault rankings matter in these markets? Would lateral opportunities exist in my home state if I don't choose it now? If I choose TX will I be stuck in oil & gas/ restructurings? Obviously the COL is much cheaper in one than the other so I'm not sure how much weight I should give that. Any general market advice between the two would be helpful.

Does the Boston firm allow split summers? Most Texas firms do, so if you can swing a split summer go that route.

Both are close to 100% offer firms. Would a split hurt my chances of offer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:50 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:

The firms I inquired to about splits in Boston were not receptive to it, but ymmv.

OP, this is going to have to do with specifically what kind of transactional work you want to do, and what firms you're looking at. E.g., if you wanted to do startup work, Boston makes more sense. Oil and Gas? Obviously Texas. Finance/Banking? Probably better off in Texas unless you're at Ropes or one of the other firms like Morgan Lewis that has a banking practice (my firm pays market and really doesn't have a banking practice).

Chambers is pretty helpful to get an idea of what firms do in Boston.

favabeansoup

Bronze

Postby favabeansoup » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:23 pm

Where in TX? Houston or Dallas? That will very much change the type of transactional work available to you.

Vault rankings mean crap with these markets, look at chambers instead.

Is Boston your home? Have you ever lived in Texas? You seem very concerned about future lateral and exit opportunities more so than the more immediate choice of living in two very different cultures and climates (not even about col). There are things outside of law that are important to, please don't discount them in choosing your job.

You are not likely to lateral/exit from TX-->Boston or vice versa

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:58 pm

favabeansoup wrote:Where in TX? Houston or Dallas? That will very much change the type of transactional work available to you.

Vault rankings mean crap with these markets, look at chambers instead.

Is Boston your home? Have you ever lived in Texas? You seem very concerned about future lateral and exit opportunities more so than the more immediate choice of living in two very different cultures and climates (not even about col). There are things outside of law that are important to, please don't discount them in choosing your job.

You are not likely to lateral/exit from TX-->Boston or vice versa

Please don't quote

Lived in Texas 20+ years, go to school in Boston area, SO is Boston with me, but also from Texas. Houston is the market. I'm not worried that much about future lateral options, I love the Boston culture/climate, COL not so much. Texas has all my family, but they're in DFW. I'm just not sure what is the better choice currently and what I should be using to differentiate the markets and the firms since they are in two very different areas. I'm really not sure I want to be pigeon holed into oil and gas, that's a fear. I guess sitting down with my CSO and SO should ultimately make the decision.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:47 pm

Do you want to make about a 1000 dollars more each month? Choose Texas. No income tax.

Return to “Legal Employment�