..am i in ethical trouble or am I being paranoid?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

..am i in ethical trouble or am I being paranoid?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:01 pm

alright guys. clinical student. I let my anger get the best of me, and now I'm paranoid that somehow this will come back to haunt me. tell me if I am being paranoid.

basically have been working to settle a case and opposing counsel has been a nightmare. on my final efforts via phone call today he was very, very rude. i was exceedingly polite to him throughout the convo and always have been. no problems there. however, I emailed the client a status update and told the client that opposing counsel was being an asshole and unfortunately we are out of luck.

i probably shouldn't have said that..right. how bad?

Anonymous User

Re: ..am i in ethical trouble or am I being paranoid?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:alright guys. clinical student. I let my anger get the best of me, and now I'm paranoid that somehow this will come back to haunt me. tell me if I am being paranoid.

basically have been working to settle a case and opposing counsel has been a nightmare. on my final efforts via phone call today he was very, very rude. i was exceedingly polite to him throughout the convo and always have been. no problems there. however, I emailed the client a status update and told the client that opposing counsel was being an asshole and unfortunately we are out of luck.

there is zero ethical trouble. Describing the opp. counsel as being an asshole is something lawyers do on a daily basis. you think you're going to get in trouble because you said the A word? lawlz

favabeansoup

Bronze

Postby favabeansoup » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:alright guys. clinical student. I let my anger get the best of me, and now I'm paranoid that somehow this will come back to haunt me. tell me if I am being paranoid.

lol. You will call people worse than assholes trust me. You are terribly, terribly ok.

If you are really worried and you are in a clinic, go to your supervising attorney/person and get their opinion.

estefanchanning

Bronze

Postby estefanchanning » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:09 pm

you should start mass mailing firms

Tanicius

Gold

Postby Tanicius » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:16 pm

Just try not to say things like that in writing because it doesn't paint you in the best light. But, unless your jurisdiction has a weird ethical rule on courtesy with third parties regarding opposing counsel, you're probably okay.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:17 pm

Curious why you even think you would be in trouble. I always let clients know if the other side is being "pushy" (and "asshole" is often precisely the right word to describe it). All depends on the relationship you have with the client. With some clients, I speak much more formally and in a more refined way. With others, we shoot the shit, chat informally, curse a bit, etc. So saying that opposing counsel is being a bit of an asshole wouldn't be a big deal at all. You just need to know your audience since you don't want to turn the client off.

Also, I agree that, to the extent you make these kinds of comments, only say them over the phone. Best not to put certain things in writing since you don't really want a record of that.

Return to “Legal Employment�