Accept strong regional firm offer or hold out for target city?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
JayDubya

New

Accept strong regional firm offer or hold out for target city?

Postby JayDubya » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:51 pm

Im at a T60 in a Midwestern flyover state with 2L SA offers to very strong regional firms. Unfortunately, my spouse just accepted a job offer in Chicago, so I know I'm not going to stay here after graduation.

Should I accept the strong regional firms or turn them down in the hopes I land something in Chicago through mass mail and/or the spring public interest season?

acr

Silver

Re: Accept strong regional firm offer or hold out for target city?

Postby acr » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:55 pm

I personally would not turn down a job offer banking on Chicago. Chicago seems like it's really hard to break into, maybe even moreso this year, and I don't like your chances from a "T60." Where were you in the class? Have you done extensive networking in Chicago? When do the offers from the regional firms expire? I would try to land Chicago until your time runs out on the other offers then accept the regional offer if Chicago firms aren't panning out.

Sideshow Raheem

New

Postby Sideshow Raheem » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:12 pm

Chicago is a really tough market to crack. You've got six schools within the city limits plus Michigan, ND, UofI and the top kids from other Big Ten schools in addition to T14ers with ties. They're all competing for a fairly limited number of summer spots - there are maybe four firms (Kirkland, Sidley, Skadden, Winston...any others?) that take summer classes of 20+ students.

All of this is to say I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope for landing a 2L SA in Chicago unless you have really great grades, ties and have done significant networking with attorneys in the city. Keep looking until the offers expire then continue to hustle for the next two years to try and find something post-grad in Chicago.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:16 pm

Sideshow Raheem wrote:Chicago is a really tough market to crack. You've got six schools within the city limits plus Michigan, ND, UofI and the top kids from other Big Ten schools in addition to T14ers with ties. They're all competing for a fairly limited number of summer spots - there are maybe four firms (Kirkland, Sidley, Skadden, Winston...any others?) that take summer classes of 20+ students.

All of this is to say I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope for landing a 2L SA in Chicago unless you have really great grades, ties and have done significant networking with attorneys in the city. Keep looking until the offers expire then continue to hustle for the next two years to try and find something post-grad in Chicago.

This. Being from the highest-ranked school in the area and from the state, with above median grades, I still struggled for some cbs and offers. Thankfully it worked out, but I have the ties and grades. Best of luck on Chicago, but it's a really hard market.

JayDubya

New

Postby JayDubya » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:53 pm

Are the government legal gigs in Chicago (DA, PD, Municipal Law Dept.) difficult to break into as well? I have a strong public service background and, for those who asked above, top 25% gpa, secondary journal, and moot court team.

acr

Silver

Postby acr » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:24 pm

JayDubya wrote:Are the government legal gigs in Chicago (DA, PD, Municipal Law Dept.) difficult to break into as well? I have a strong public service background and, for those who asked above, top 25% gpa, secondary journal, and moot court team.

Yeah, I'm sorry, but I don't think that top 25% + secondary journal is good enough for Chicago biglaw from a T60 unless you've been networking your ass off and have fantastic interview skills. Top 25% at my Midwestern T20 is even dicey for Chicago. Can't speak for government.

tyroneslothrop1

Bronze

Postby tyroneslothrop1 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:53 pm

strong regional firm in hand is better than two big law firms in the bush . . . or something

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:56 pm

JayDubya wrote:Are the government legal gigs in Chicago (DA, PD, Municipal Law Dept.) difficult to break into as well? I have a strong public service background and, for those who asked above, top 25% gpa, secondary journal, and moot court team.

These are still quite difficult. They aren't difficult because of grade cut-offs/etc, but because many local students-particularly DePaul, Loyola, Kent, John Marshall types- work at these places during the school year and get first crack at the jobs post-grad.

misterjames

Bronze

Postby misterjames » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:05 pm

I'm actually extremely shocked you even got screeners from big firms with these stats. feel free to ignore but are you a URM?

Sideshow Raheem

New

Postby Sideshow Raheem » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:25 pm

misterjames wrote:

I'm actually extremely shocked you even got screeners from big firms with these stats. feel free to ignore but are you a URM?

I'm guessing the T60 is Nebraska so, I mean, where else are firms in Omaha and Lincoln gonna recruit from?

Return to “Legal Employment�