Tech Equipment for Home-Office Use in Big Law Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Tech Equipment for Home-Office Use in Big Law

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:39 pm

I'll be starting as an associate in a couple weeks, and have been looking at buying a computer setup for my own apartment. Wanted to ask current lawyers what they prioritize in terms of a home-office setup.
  • Monitors. Dual monitors or an ultrawide monitor?
  • Printers and scanners. Is a simple hybrid printer/scanner enough? Is there any need for the super fast scanners and such? Wondering if it'll actually make working remotely much easier.
  • Other. Any other home equipment you found helpful for working remotely?
Thanks!

WhiteCollarBlueShirt

Bronze

Re: Tech Equipment for Home-Office Use in Big Law

Post by WhiteCollarBlueShirt » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:21 pm

Ultrawide + mouse. I never use the home printer/scanner.

I preferred my single, old, large, normal monitor (it worked more seamlessly with leaving the laptop open and extending the screens). If I worked remotely more often, I would replicate work and get dual screens (or more) with a docking station and keyboard.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:26 pm

Dual monitors for me, but we use Macs for work, so I just use my iMac as a monitor with my work laptop. But I like having some things on one monitor, and then my actual work that I am focusing on at the moment on the main (larger) monitor.

bowser

Bronze

Post by bowser » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:06 pm

I'm in corporate, looking for an affordable home printer that will print blacklines/document comparisons (so lots of blue and red ink showing changes) fast and won't break. Anyone have any suggestions?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
  • Monitors. Dual monitors or an ultrawide monitor?
Both.
Anonymous User wrote:
  • Printers and scanners. Is a simple hybrid printer/scanner enough? Is there any need for the super fast scanners and such? Wondering if it'll actually make working remotely much easier.
I don't really find a use for my home printer/scanner for work.
Anonymous User wrote:
  • Other. Any other home equipment you found helpful for working remotely?
I have both my own PC and a work laptop. I have a docking station that I plug into the work laptop into (https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Display-Doc ... 693&sr=1-3) and use this (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LV ... UTF8&psc=1) to share my mouse/kb between both computers (I manually flip the inputs on my monitors). I would have used a KVM station to switch between the two, but all the KVMs I found were either crappy or obscenely expensive.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:53 pm

Get a dock that's compatible with your work laptop. Make sure it supports at least two monitors. You can start with one and expand to a second if you want it. Get a good keyboard and mouse.

When you want to work at home, you just drop the laptop into the dock. In the morning, one button to eject it and you're on your way.

champloo

Bronze

Post by champloo » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:02 am

Get both and ultrawide and a 24"/27". You can get both for cheap nowadays as long as they arent 4k/144hz/gsync/etc. If you dont use color get a laser printer thats compatible with 3rd party toners. 3rd party toners are cheap but still reliable. Get a gaming mouse or something similar (logitech mx master is a great non-gaming mouse).

Eta: invest in a good chair

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:07 am

three monitors

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:20 am

I'm a year in and never needed to use a printer, I'd skip that unless you know you'll need it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:20 am

I'm a year in and never needed to use a printer, I'd skip that unless you know you'll need it.

Eta: And I print stuff all the time at work, pretty much any blackline or diligence item I print out. I've just never needed to do it at home. Either print it out before leaving the office or wait until the next morning.

toast and bananas

Bronze

Post by toast and bananas » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:17 am

Ergonomics are important too. Get a vertical mouse for home and office and never look back

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:44 pm

Printer/scanner probably isn't necessary but a simple one can help--you probably need one for everyday life every so often, anyway.

For the rest--I think a balance of comfort and efficiency is probably king. Some people like ultrawide monitors, some like two monitors, some like two ultrawide monitors, some probably like full on battlestations, and so on... some people like certain kinds of keyboard (i use mechanical) or mice, some people like laptops over desktops, etc. Also, some of this probably depends on what you get from your biglaw firm; if you get a firm issued laptop, then you probably want a docking station for it and connections to a monitor or whatever makes things easier.

The only thing I would add is to invest in a good office/gaming chair if you're going to be working from home a lot.

merde_happens

New

Post by merde_happens » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:02 pm

I use an ultrawide 4k monitor - I can fit more on that single screen than on my dual monitors at my office. You should check to see if your work laptop is 4k compatible, though.

I also got a phone for my home office, which makes working from home totally seamless.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:19 pm

The monitors are now mounted to the wall because I didn't like the giant base for that stand.
Last edited by MKC on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:47 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:Image

The monitors are now mounted to the wall because I didn't like the giant base for that stand.
Ok Mr. Mansion.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:49 pm

Landline is key. If you're the one who sends around a dial in for a closing call, a board meeting, or some important call with 20 people on it and you open the call from your cellphone at home at 5am, you dont want to have the call cut out and everyone get dropped and have to re-dial.

Landline.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:49 pm

merde_happens wrote:I use an ultrawide 4k monitor
I don't think such a thing exists? The closest, afaik, is LG's 38UC99-W.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:56 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote:
Ok Mr. Mansion.
Our house is 1,800 square feet. The average new home is 2,700 square feet. If you think having a home office makes it a mansion, I assume you're living in one of those dystopian hellholes known as a "major city."

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:04 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote:
Ok Mr. Mansion.
Our house is 1,800 square feet. The average new home is 2,700 square feet. If you think having a home office makes it a mansion, I assume you're living in one of those dystopian hellholes known as a "major city."
If dystopian hellhole is surfing, followed by the dankest breakfast burrito with a single origin coffee, followed by rolling into my AmLaw 10 office at 11:15, but making sure I am out by 6 for happy hour on the beach, then sign me up for 1984.

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:40 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:[img]photos[/img]

That ceiling looks really low in this shot, how high is it?
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:40 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote: Landline.
So long as you have decent internet, you should be able to go VOIP with a fixed line phone without paying the phone company rental.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

merde_happens

New

Post by merde_happens » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:42 pm

bk1 wrote:
merde_happens wrote:I use an ultrawide 4k monitor
I don't think such a thing exists? The closest, afaik, is LG's 38UC99-W.
You're right - I guess it doesn't technically qualify as an "ultrawide," though it still seems huge to me. I have the Samsung - UE590 Series 28" LED 4K. Highly recommend.

Also, my firm provides a phone that connects via the WiFi. You have to have a router near your home office setup - I put in a mesh internet system for that purpose.

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:50 pm

Kummel wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote:[img]photos[/img]

That ceiling looks really low in this shot, how high is it?
7 feet. Fuck old houses. I have to duck under some of the light fixtures.

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:51 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote:
Ok Mr. Mansion.
If dystopian hellhole is surfing, followed by the dankest breakfast burrito with a single origin coffee, followed by rolling into my AmLaw 10 office at 11:15, but making sure I am out by 6 for happy hour on the beach, then sign me up for 1984.
Dude if you can work 7 hours a day and hang out at the beach the rest of the time, more power to you. I was more thinking NYC/Chicago/LA 2 hours from the beach.

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:59 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote: The monitors are now mounted to the wall because I didn't like the giant base for that stand.
I'm curious why you don't have any monitors in portrait? I find portrait mode to be the best way to read documents.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”