In-House to Big Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

In-House to Big Law

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:04 am

Just wanted a little advice on if a switch is at all possible.

Currently, I am working for a large hedge fund as an in-house attorney. My boss, the General Counsel, and I are the only lawyers for the firm. We handle all of the legal matters for the firm, and work with outside counsel on a number of matters. My main focus is securities law, but get my hands involved in things like insurance, employment, and real estate. I like my role currently, but I am envisioning a time in the somewhat near future that my responsibilities will be somewhat "capped," and may need to look for a new opportunity for increased exposure.

I wanted to get an opinion on if it would be possible to move from this in-house role to a securities/fund formation/investment management group at a large firm. Some additional background: I came to my current role straight out of law school and have been here for two years. I went to a second tier school and finished in the top 40%. I work with big law firms everyday within my current role, and want to work on that side of the business as well.

Any advice would be helpful on how to make this switch, and to rid any doubts a large firm may have about bringing in someone who only worked in-house.

Thanks!

WhiteCollarBlueShirt

Bronze

Re: In-House to Big Law

Postby WhiteCollarBlueShirt » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:12 am

Doesn't seem to be all that uncommon at the of counsel/partner-level. Less so at the associate level (also most associates would think you're nuts if you're truly the no. 2 counsel at the fund, considering that's often a desirable exit at any year), but you'd prob get some bites in NYC, particularly if you're willing to take a hit to your class year. I'd guess that you'd probably be asked to demonstrate your actual knowledge more than most given your school/gpa.

*I'd highlight any compliance responsibilities if I were you.

synergy

New

Postby synergy » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just wanted a little advice on if a switch is at all possible.

Currently, I am working for a large hedge fund as an in-house attorney. My boss, the General Counsel, and I are the only lawyers for the firm. We handle all of the legal matters for the firm, and work with outside counsel on a number of matters. My main focus is securities law, but get my hands involved in things like insurance, employment, and real estate. I like my role currently, but I am envisioning a time in the somewhat near future that my responsibilities will be somewhat "capped," and may need to look for a new opportunity for increased exposure.

I wanted to get an opinion on if it would be possible to move from this in-house role to a securities/fund formation/investment management group at a large firm. Some additional background: I came to my current role straight out of law school and have been here for two years. I went to a second tier school and finished in the top 40%. I work with big law firms everyday within my current role, and want to work on that side of the business as well.

Any advice would be helpful on how to make this switch, and to rid any doubts a large firm may have about bringing in someone who only worked in-house.

Thanks!

OP, if you wouldn't mind, could you PM me? I just started at a fund doing half legal and half compliance and would love to pick your brain.

misterjames

Bronze

Postby misterjames » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:08 pm

seems like a reasonable move with your current experience. hitting up firms you've used as outside counsel is probably the best route, but I could see you landing a few interviews through cold applications as well. as another poster said, you should probably be prepared to take a hit in class year (which if anything just incentivizes you to move sooner rather than later)

Return to ‚ÄúLegal Employment‚Ä?