Complainers with Offers

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Complainers with Offers

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:20 pm

Please stop complaining if you have an offer. I get that it may not be your first choice, but it's a dick move for all those around you who don't have anything.

Contrary to popular belief on TLS, there are plenty of people who strike out and it has nothing to do with their legal competence or future ability as a lawyer. Sometimes people just get unlucky for a variety of reasons.

This is as much of a message to people discussing on TLS and people talking about job offers around friends at school.

Octavius

New

Re: Complainers with Offers

Postby Octavius » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:26 pm

Well yeah, nobody should be a dick about it. But why does this need to be posted anon?

MKC

Diamond

Postby MKC » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Please stop complaining if you have an offer. I get that it may not be your first choice, but it's a dick move for all those around you who don't have anything.

Contrary to popular belief on TLS, there are plenty of people who strike out and it has nothing to do with their legal competence or future ability as a lawyer. Sometimes people just get unlucky for a variety of reasons.

This is as much of a message to people discussing on TLS and people talking about job offers around friends at school.

Re: People doing this at school - totally agree. Douchebag move.

Re: People doing this on TLS - Settle down Skippy. People talk about this shit on TLS because it is completely unacceptable in a law school setting and no one outside of law school has any idea what the fuck is going on. I say this as someone who got no-offered and didn't find a job until after graduation. TLS is absolutely the appropriate place to do what you're describing.
Last edited by MKC on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:33 pm

I've complained because I have too many offers and don't know how to choose, but I don't just complain to random people and I always caveat with the understanding complaining makes me sound like a douche. Still, for me, it's a hard situation. I get to complain, just like you get to complain when you're stuck in traffic even though there are homeless people. All of our complaints are privileged and douchey compared to the complaints of someone worse off, but that doesn't mean we should just keep quiet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:35 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Please stop complaining if you have an offer. I get that it may not be your first choice, but it's a dick move for all those around you who don't have anything.

Re: People doing this on TLS - Settle down Skippy. People talk about this shit on TLS because it is completely unacceptable in a law school setting and no one outside of law school has any idea what the fuck is going on. I say this as someone who got no-offered and didn't find a job until after graduation. TLS is absolutely the appropriate place to do what you're describing.

Not OP, but I think OP is referring to people who are doing it in threads talking about striking out. Having an offer is not striking out, and it's annoying when people characterize it as such.

WhiskeyAndCupcakes

Silver

Postby WhiskeyAndCupcakes » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:38 pm

Last edited by WhiskeyAndCupcakes on Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:42 pm

WhiskeyAndCupcakes wrote:Also, to the extent you are actually friends with someone (and not just a random classmate), there could be reasons a person with an offer is still really anxious about how the cycle will turn out. Someone may have an offer in NYC, for example-- and be really grateful to have that opportunity-- but still be really hoping their home market comes through. Or whatever. It's not the same position as not having an offer. However, it can be still be nerve-wracking.

I guess "I want a V10 so I am not happy" is not a good look. But I completely understand that there are valid reasons why my friends with an offer may still be stressed about how their recruiting cycle is playing out.

People with offers certainly carry some stress, I don't think anyone is denying that. I think the point of this post was just to remind people to maybe be a bit more courteous to our friends who are dealing with the stress of nothing. I think they are different and one is arguably more stressful, but I suppose that could be debated.

Kaizen428

New

Postby Kaizen428 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
WhiskeyAndCupcakes wrote:Also, to the extent you are actually friends with someone (and not just a random classmate), there could be reasons a person with an offer is still really anxious about how the cycle will turn out. Someone may have an offer in NYC, for example-- and be really grateful to have that opportunity-- but still be really hoping their home market comes through. Or whatever. It's not the same position as not having an offer. However, it can be still be nerve-wracking.

I guess "I want a V10 so I am not happy" is not a good look. But I completely understand that there are valid reasons why my friends with an offer may still be stressed about how their recruiting cycle is playing out.

People with offers certainly carry some stress, I don't think anyone is denying that. I think the point of this post was just to remind people to maybe be a bit more courteous to our friends who are dealing with the stress of nothing. I think they are different and one is arguably more stressful, but I suppose that could be debated.

Accidental anon.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:50 pm

Yes, agreed that having an offer is less stressful. I guess I wasn't trying to debate that.

I think people with offers should 100% be courteous and aware and gracious. But I guess people all around should recognize that when people are worried they may say something that feels insensitive. Posting in a thread about striking out because you aren't happy with your offer is pretty tone deaf. Talking with friends and saying "I really hope DC works out because my life is here" is the type of thing a friend should be able to share-- even if you would love to be in their shoes.

WhiskeyAndCupcakes

Silver

Postby WhiskeyAndCupcakes » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:56 pm

Last edited by WhiskeyAndCupcakes on Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

MKC

Diamond

Postby MKC » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:03 pm

I was taking issue with the blanket statement as the OP made it: "Don't complain about your offer on TLS."

Apparently I'm missing some context here, because my response to the OP's blanket statement is reasonable.
Last edited by MKC on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:04 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:

It absolutely is, in general OCI/employment threads or your own thread. It absolutely is not appropriate to go into a thread about striking out and complain about your offer. (You probably weren't saying it is, but that's what people did earlier this afternoon, so that's why I reiterate it.)

Return to “Legal Employment�