lateral to new region - how to use connections

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

lateral to new region - how to use connections

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:39 pm

Hi All: Any advice is appreciated.

I am three years out of law school trying to lateral to a firm closer to home. I know a number of good connections in the area, but I have started applying independently to open positions just to see what would stick. 2 weeks ago I had an interview at a firm (I would say it is a large law firm in size, but not necessarily "BigLaw") where I met the entire practice and I felt went extremely well. All the language used ("when you start we will have you do X", "how soon can you start," "We should have you do X before you start" etc etc) made me feel as if I would get an offer in a matter of days and we all seemed to match personality-wise. The biggest knock seemed to be the fact I am not currently living in region (however, I reiterated my commitment to relocating as well as my strong ties to the region). Now it is coming up to be a few weeks without a response and I am getting nervous; though grounded in the fact they are very busy, likely interviewed others, and may even have taken an august vacation.

So here is my dilemma: During one of the 5 interviews, a partner connected some dots and asked if I knew a general counsel at one of the largest employers in the state and who I have a very very strong tie to (pretty much family without being blood related). I was asked straight up if they use outside counsel (they do) and if I was interested in doing work for them (I am). While I found the question a bit tacky, I felt like it was very positive at the time. After post-interview digging, I found out that another very very good family friend who is a general counsel at a Fortune50 and knows these lawyers personally (kicking myself that I did not find this out prior). Prior to the interviews, I did offer references (and I would have used both these people) but they didn't find it necessary.

My question is: Should I reach out to these friends and let them know the situation (I already know that without me asking, they would say "oh i know [Mr. Partner], I'll give him a call")? Should I just let it play out and risk the rejection? Going forward, how do you go about using your personal references, especially when these two know the partners personally, know me personally, and would give me huge credibility? I am a bit prideful in that I would prefer to get a job without using my contacts, but at the same time I know I am highly qualified and I have a very strong need to move closer to home and absolutely felt like I am a perfect fit for this position.

Thank you for any advice.

Return to “Legal Employment�