SA research memo question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

SA research memo question

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:52 pm

edited to follow the advice below :lol:
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sprout

Silver

Re: SA research memo question

Postby Sprout » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:55 pm

Don't ask TLS specific things your SA assigns you.

When I doubt, I always start with google. Sometimes answers are out there or other useful info/links to other places not necessarily found on west law or lexis. Also both west law and lexis have help lines for searches and live chat features

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What should I say if a partner asked me to research a specific issue, but there is no law regarding it, no statute or anything. Specifically, I have to research on if there is anything preventing a party from releasing a document that is under government investigation/audit (think a situation like Trump's tax returns). But, there is no statute/case law barring, or even referring to, this scenario.

If a partner asks you to research the question of whether the law prevents your client from doing something, and if you find no law that prevents your client from doing that thing, then you have a nice answer for the partner/client.

reasonable_man

Gold

Postby reasonable_man » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:16 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What should I say if a partner asked me to research a specific issue, but there is no law regarding it, no statute or anything. Specifically, I have to research on if there is anything preventing a party from releasing a document that is under government investigation/audit (think a situation like Trump's tax returns). But, there is no statute/case law barring, or even referring to, this scenario.

If a partner asks you to research the question of whether the law prevents your client from doing something, and if you find no law that prevents your client from doing that thing, then you have a nice answer for the partner/client.

Assuming you have correctly arrived at that conclusion. :D

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:26 pm

How are you still a summer associate? Have to know this firm, so I can go back, redo life and get paid out for like 16 weeks.

nunumaster

Silver

Postby nunumaster » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:28 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:How are you still a summer associate? Have to know this firm, so I can go back, redo life and get paid out for like 16 weeks.

OP probably split or something. I was jealous af of all these people who got paid for 12+ weeks.

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:29 pm

nunumaster wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:How are you still a summer associate? Have to know this firm, so I can go back, redo life and get paid out for like 16 weeks.

OP probably split or something.

Or goes to a school on the quarter system.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:26 pm

It's not a biglaw firm. I've actually been clerking part-time for the firm since February, and started full-time as an SA right after finals. Plus, I'm assuming I'll be going back to part-time once the semester starts next week...yay money

Return to “Legal Employment�