"What Questions Do You Have About the Firm?"

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

"What Questions Do You Have About the Firm?"

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:49 am

What types of questions are callback interviewers looking for when they ask this? I feel like my questions end up going into firm culture and the interviewer's practice area....but they seem almost generic. Any tips/advice/examples on questions to ask about the firm?

Eldon Tyrell

Silver

Re: "What Questions Do You Have About the Firm?"

Postby Eldon Tyrell » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:01 pm

Ask about mentorship, staffing, development, practice areas, culture, differences between other firms in the market, etc. They are all generic questions but you have to personalize them to the firm and to how the conversation is going in the moment. The biggest thing you should realize is there are no silver bullet questions - only ones that demonstrate your thoughtfulness and preparation and skills as a future attorney.

Good Guy Gaud

Platinum

Postby Good Guy Gaud » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:11 pm

If you're dealing with a smaller firm or one that focuses on a particular area of law, you can ask where they think the firm is heading in the future.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:21 pm

When all else fails I've always found showing an interest and just asking (especially a partner) what he's been working on recently is a good way to have them talk about themselves and if you're not completely inept will lead to a a few more natural follow-up questions. It seems to usually be welcomed, but who knows for sure.

Interested to hear what others think about asking such a general question.

Good Guy Gaud

Platinum

Postby Good Guy Gaud » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:When all else fails I've always found showing an interest and just asking (especially a partner) what he's been working on recently is a good way to have them talk about themselves and if you're not completely inept will lead to a a few more natural follow-up questions. It seems to usually be welcomed, but who knows for sure.

Sounds good to me

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:When all else fails I've always found showing an interest and just asking (especially a partner) what he's been working on recently is a good way to have them talk about themselves and if you're not completely inept will lead to a a few more natural follow-up questions. It seems to usually be welcomed, but who knows for sure.

this is my usual approach as well

Return to “Legal Employment�