Callback WAY out of my league

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Callback WAY out of my league

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:40 am

I'm going on a callback tomorrow and it's so far out of my league it's ridiculous. Everyone who is interviewing me is HYS for undergrad and grad, law review board, latin letters, prestigious clerkship. I have exactly none of those things, and I'm not on track for any of them, either. My work experience is a joke.

One person did summer at that firm from my school---the editor-in-chief of the law review.

Callbacks are about fit, but not exclusively about fit. And I don't see how I'd "fit" at a firm that has clearly prioritized hiring people with the kinds of credentials I don't have.

I'm sure this has happened to someone else---how did you approach the callback? Was it awkward? Did you get an offer? Any tips?

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Re: Callback WAY out of my league

Postby PeanutsNJam » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:45 am

Everyone interviewing is HYS for undergrad and grad, on their respective school's law review, and had prestigious clerkships? All 4-6 interviewing you? Is this Susman? Just be yourself there's nothing else you can do.

If this is instead a firm like Cravath, then don't worry if you get a callback your credentials are up to par. If it's Sullivan and Cromwell, you already have the job just don't undress during the interview or something.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:05 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:Everyone interviewing is HYS for undergrad and grad, on their respective school's law review, and had prestigious clerkships? All 4-6 interviewing you? Is this Susman? Just be yourself there's nothing else you can do.

If this is instead a firm like Cravath, then don't worry if you get a callback your credentials are up to par. If it's Sullivan and Cromwell, you already have the job just don't undress during the interview or something.

Yeah, thinking about it further, I think it might be because they put me with people in their appellate lit group and I'm...not necessarily interested in appellate lit. Maybe that's the only group that isn't slammed right now?

Thanks

jbagelboy

Diamond

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:08 pm

Nearly every firm can straggle together 10-15 people like this to show off for callback interviews. It's hardly ever representative of the "typical associate." Don't feel out of your league based on interviewer profile. Focus on doing your best on the callback, the same as you would at any other firm, and don't get psyched out. People that go to ivy league schools and clerk aren't a different species.

Sideshow Raheem

New

Postby Sideshow Raheem » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:13 pm

Had a really similar experience last week - CB with a firm that exclusively hired LR kids (which I am not) from my school in the past. My interviewers weren't all HYS but the office as a whole was heavily staffed with LR e-board members from T14 schools/top local regionals.

Got an offer less than a day later. Callbacks really are mainly about fit. Project confidence that you're the best candidate for the job (even if, based on their past hiring standards, you think you aren't) and you'll be fine.

Return to “Legal Employment�