LA v. OC Office Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

LA v. OC Office

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:00 am

Considering two offers, one from Gibson and one from Latham. One of the offers is for LA and the other is for OC. I'm mostly interested in litigation, though I guess that could change over the summer, but doubtful.

I'm wondering if anyone could shed light on how important it is to work in a larger/HQ office. I liked the people better in my OC callback and wondering how much this should play into the decision.

Sprout

Silver

Re: LA v. OC Office

Post by Sprout » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:Considering two offers, one from Gibson and one from Latham. One of the offers is for LA and the other is for OC. I'm mostly interested in litigation, though I guess that could change over the summer, but doubtful.

I'm wondering if anyone could shed light on how important it is to work in a larger/HQ office. I liked the people better in my OC callback and wondering how much this should play into the decision.
Don't really feel like anyone can answer this for you but if you liked the people better at a certain office, I would definitely pick that office... why does working in the larger/HQ office matter, esp if the firms are Gibson & Latham? I know people on here might disagree with me re: latham at least but I feel like it is relatively safe for you either way. Unless there is some way to see offer rates (there is) and likelihood of a job post-SA comparatively for each office/firm, and one place is significantly higher, I would pick the office you liked the people at the most.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:10 am

You should base this off of where you want to live -- OC and LA are way different. I chose OC b/c I "preferred" the work environment, but in the end, I regret my decision everyday: I am an urban culture vulture who is allergic to suburbia -- clearly I have no place in OC.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:52 am

I don't know why tf you'd want to live in Orange County, but you do what you want.

-guy who lived in OC for years

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:51 am

I loved my time in OC... I don't think it will affect your career in the slightest if you pick OC over LA

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hearsay77

Silver

Post by hearsay77 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:08 am

I summered at one of these firms in OC this summer. PM if you want to discuss!

Glasseyes

Silver

Post by Glasseyes » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:09 am

I wouldn't lock in the next few years of a career based on the random sampling of callback attorneys you happened to like better unless it's clear there's some significant cultural difference between the firms/offices.

Things that matter more: where you want to live, as others have said. I can't stand Orange County and would never willingly choose to live there, whereas LA is a much more diverse, non-homogenous city capable of accommodating virtually anyone (living on the west side vs east side has a massive impact on quality of life, depending what you like).

HQ vs satellite is also significant. Smaller offices might be easier to navigate in some ways, but they can potentially greatly restrict your autonomy and ability to avoid shitty partners. HQ's are more likely to offer some flexibility due to larger practice groups, more clients, potentially easier/better exit options, though every firm and office will vary on this.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:24 pm

Thanks for the responses, I hear what you guys are saying re: location as a major factor.

Does anyone have any idea how easy/difficult it would be to make a jump between offices from OC -> LA or vice-versa at either of these firms/peer firms?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for the responses, I hear what you guys are saying re: location as a major factor.

Does anyone have any idea how easy/difficult it would be to make a jump between offices from OC -> LA or vice-versa at either of these firms/peer firms?
I was in a similar situation a week ago. I accepted an offer from a firm (not one of the ones you listed) in OC over one in LA. The ability to move to the other city later on was a huge concern for me. Everyone I spoke to said the hardest part is getting into big law. After a couple of years, you can relatively easily lateral to a firm in the other city or transfer within your own firm, provided you are competent.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

still

Bronze

Post by still » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:59 pm

i think i can speak on this matter a little
-grew up in an LA county suburb right next to OC (5min from anaheim)
-went to highschool in OC
-went to UG/Law school at UCLA

-OC offices are nice. many are on jamboree (irvine), fashion island/newport beach
-OC is very republican - probably the most republican (non-poor) district in all of CA
-OC traffic is pretty bad. not LA/405/10 bad but bad nonetheless
-demographics by race in OC is extremely diverse but at the same time lifestyles are very extremely non-diverse (generally very middleclass whitewashed)
-terrible restaurant variety in OC in general - besides some South American restaurants (think sushi places run by Koreans, fusion restaurants, etc)
-generally much quieter and safer than LA (at least where most of the big law firms are situated)

LA is LA. you either hate it (i.e. youre a complete stiff) or you love it (youre a combination of young, attractive, and open minded)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:22 pm

Gibson LA is better for lit unless you're into environmental law, then go to Latham OC. Latham OC is actually great at corporate considering its size. I wonder how many new associates lathams smaller offices lathamed during the last recession?...

unsure if it matters to you but OC offices are super white. from what i remember, latham OC was all white with less than a handful of Asian guys

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”