IRS Honors Program or any other gov. Honors program 2016-2017

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

IRS Honors Program or any other gov. Honors program 2016-2017

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:52 pm

Recently had an interview with the IRS for an honors program position. Anyone have any information on call back time? Or when they extend offers? Or anything insightful at all.

They mentioned the notes and reccomendations from my interview would be sent to DC, where a hiring committee makes the decisions.

Also anyone know anything about how many they plan to hire or usually take?

Any information helps. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: IRS Honors Program or any other gov. Honors program 2016-2017

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:48 am

Had initial screener at one of the minority job fairs in July, and have an interview next week at the location I want to work at. Not sure of the timetable after that or of the number they hire.

Good luck, hope you hear something soon.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:39 pm

Had 2nd interview as I mentioned above at the field office I was most interested in. Went very well and received a call from DC the next day extending an offer to start at my preferred field office about a year from now with their SB/SE division as an Honors Attorney which I accepted. They asked for a 3 year commitment which works for me as I hope to make a career there. So excited to have this opportunity and to have this process wrapped up.

Good luck to everyone still going through the process. Things moved VERY fast for me once I got the call last week to come in for the callback, and I am extremely grateful for that.

TransferHopeful17

New

Postby TransferHopeful17 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:48 am

Congrats. I had no clue the IRS moved so fast with its honors program. The deadline must have been fairly early.

Farcry25

New

Postby Farcry25 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:36 pm

Op here. That is great, congrats. I still haven't heard from them, so it's not looking too good. I had my first interview 2 weeks 2 days ago. It was an OCI interview. I'm from the northeast what region are you in? And what are your stats like?

Also, anyone else have any more information? Like do they extend offers by region? On a rolling basis? Is it likely I'm still in the running or were all offers already extended?

Farcry25

New

Postby Farcry25 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Had 2nd interview as I mentioned above at the field office I was most interested in. Went very well and received a call from DC the next day extending an offer to start at my preferred field office about a year from now with their SB/SE division as an Honors Attorney which I accepted. They asked for a 3 year commitment which works for me as I hope to make a career there. So excited to have this opportunity and to have this process wrapped up.

Good luck to everyone still going through the process. Things moved VERY fast for me once I got the call last week to come in for the callback, and I am extremely grateful for that.

Hey, if you don't mind, PM me I have a couple questions.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:01 am

Farcry25

PM sent

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:04 pm

I am slightly confused about what the difference between the Honors Program and a regular internship is for these government agencies is. Is there a difference? My school's OCI had the IRS Chief Counsel's Office and the SSA General Counsel's Office interview for positions for next summer. I was pre-selected for both. Had my second interview with SSA and have my interview with the IRS this coming week. I do not recall if the SSA was listed on the bid list as an "honors" program, but I know the IRS was not listed as "honors" on the bid list. SSA was at a hotel during an off campus EIW, and the IRS contacted me directly from an OCI associated resume collect and is having me come into the local field office. My second interview with SSA went very well, and I am looking forward to the IRS interview. My main concern is whether or not these summer internships usually turn into full time offers like a Summer Associate position does, and if whether or not they are classified as an "honors" program has any bearing on that outcome. The agency jobs sound super sweet and cushy and I would probably take the pay cut associated with either in a heartbeat if given the opportunity because the qol is fantastic (SSA told me they telecommute three days a week, they have on site day care, they are not allowed to work more than 8.5 hours a week etc). However, if I have private sector opportunities I also do not want to pass those up if these summer government internships do not usually turn into post graduation work.

Thanks. Any insight would be super appreciated.

Leprechaun

Bronze

Postby Leprechaun » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am slightly confused about what the difference between the Honors Program and a regular internship is for these government agencies is. Is there a difference? My school's OCI had the IRS Chief Counsel's Office and the SSA General Counsel's Office interview for positions for next summer. I was pre-selected for both. Had my second interview with SSA and have my interview with the IRS this coming week. I do not recall if the SSA was listed on the bid list as an "honors" program, but I know the IRS was not listed as "honors" on the bid list. SSA was at a hotel during an off campus EIW, and the IRS contacted me directly from an OCI associated resume collect and is having me come into the local field office. My second interview with SSA went very well, and I am looking forward to the IRS interview. My main concern is whether or not these summer internships usually turn into full time offers like a Summer Associate position does, and if whether or not they are classified as an "honors" program has any bearing on that outcome. The agency jobs sound super sweet and cushy and I would probably take the pay cut associated with either in a heartbeat if given the opportunity because the qol is fantastic (SSA told me they telecommute three days a week, they have on site day care, they are not allowed to work more than 8.5 hours a week etc). However, if I have private sector opportunities I also do not want to pass those up if these summer government internships do not usually turn into post graduation work.

Thanks. Any insight would be super appreciated.

Here's a general link to their different programs. I can't speak toward how often Summer positions turn into FT offers.

https://jobs.irs.gov/resources/job-desc ... cent-grads

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:38 am

Honors program is the post-graduation entry level position. What you applied for is the summer program, the position that is usually between 2L and 3L and I have heard occasionally these are follows by offers to be an attorneys attorneys. They don't hire all of their summers though because there are more summer positions available than honors attorneys positions.

globetrotter659

New

Postby globetrotter659 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:Honors program is the post-graduation entry level position. What you applied for is the summer program, the position that is usually between 2L and 3L and I have heard occasionally these are follows by offers to be an attorneys attorneys. They don't hire all of their summers though because there are more summer positions available than honors attorneys positions.

It gets confusing because some agencies call their summer programs "honors programs" too. The vast majority of summer programs do not lead to full time employment but will help you when you apply for a full time job because it shows commitment. I know some agencies (and components at DOJ) that will automatically extend interviews to anyone who summered with them. One exception to this rule that I can think of is the CIA which hires 2Ls into its "honors program" with the expectation of hiring them full time after the summer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:48 am

I had an interview recently too. Would you recommend following up with an email to see the status? I have heard government takes a while to get back to you, anyone know the average time frame?

Return to “Legal Employment�