I Failed The Bar 3 Times Before Passing - Ask Me Anything

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: I Failed The Bar 3 Times Before Passing - Ask Me Anything

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:52 pm

Rahviveh wrote:The OP is either a troll or incredibly tone deaf in thinking his posts and story offers hope.

It's this guy:

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=151857

I've been through the war 4 times. During my first 3 attempts, I was scared shit. As soon as I heard the words, "You may begin", I basically froze. When I looked at the MBE's, it was like reading Swahili. While I was doing the essays, I second guessed myself. I nearly had a nervous breakdown.

If you're not a troll then I'm happy for you Op. But your story is not inspiring. Its terrifying and induces paranoia. Please stop posting until exam results are released.

I am not a troll nor am I the user you pointed out. With investigative skills like that, I sure hope you either do transactional law or are still a law student.

Remarks like yours are one of the reasons I have held off on posting something like this. But I posted it and will roll with it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:53 pm

reasonable_man wrote:What was your LSAT and UGPA?

GPA: 3.75
LSAT: 162

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:56 pm

Genius wrote:
Rahviveh wrote:The OP is either a troll or incredibly tone deaf in thinking his posts and story offers hope.

It's this guy:

I've been through the war 4 times. During my first 3 attempts, I was scared shit. As soon as I heard the words, "You may begin", I basically froze. When I looked at the MBE's, it was like reading Swahili. While I was doing the essays, I second guessed myself. I nearly had a nervous breakdown.

If you're not a troll then I'm happy for you Op. But your story is not inspiring. Its terrifying and induces paranoia. Please stop posting until exam results are released.

sounds like to him passing the bar on his 5th try was the highlight of his life so far and probably just wants to let it be known to the world. while tacky, i'll cut him some slack. i wouldnt take any career advice from him tho

User avatarGenius
Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)
Unread postSun Aug 21, 2016 1:44 am

so far 5 interviews and zero offers. what the shit. still waiting over a month on 2 firms. errrg

I WOULDN'T TAKE ANY ADVICE, ESPECIALLY INTERVIEW TIPS AND HINTS, FROM THIS GUY! Lol! Hope he passed the bar though...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:01 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Justify your practice of law. Three failures? How are you not malpracticinf the fuck out of the law.

For one, I proofread and use spell check. (*malpractinf)

Secondly, the threshold of malpractice is pretty high. You have to royally screw up to meet that threshold. I haven't don't that in practice, only on the bar exam.

I practice exclusively in civil litigation and criminal trials. I think I have found my niche and I love the work. Not too many, if any, clients will sue you for malpractice when you win for them at trial. ;)

Eldon Tyrell

Silver

Postby Eldon Tyrell » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Justify your practice of law. Three failures? How are you not malpracticinf the fuck out of the law.

For one, I proofread and use spell check. (*malpractinf)

Secondly, the threshold of malpractice is pretty high. You have to royally screw up to meet that threshold. I haven't don't that in practice, only on the bar exam.

I practice exclusively in civil litigation and criminal trials. I think I have found my niche and I love the work. Not too many, if any, clients will sue you for malpractice when you win for them at trial. ;)

The irony of pointing out typographical errors.

Genius

Silver

Postby Genius » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Genius wrote:

It's this guy:

sounds like to him passing the bar on his 5th try was the highlight of his life so far and probably just wants to let it be known to the world. while tacky, i'll cut him some slack. i wouldnt take any career advice from him tho

User avatarGenius

so far 5 interviews and zero offers. what the shit. still waiting over a month on 2 firms. errrg

I WOULDN'T TAKE ANY ADVICE, ESPECIALLY INTERVIEW TIPS AND HINTS, FROM THIS GUY! Lol! Hope he passed the bar though...

im not the one hiding behind anon and creating thread for passing the bar and doling out shit career advice. i did the right thing and NOT make my own thread for a minor achievement all of us pretty much attained. i did pass the bar tho, in California nonetheless. thank you. i just didn't take it 5 times in weaker jrx.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:19 pm

Stop giving the OP shit. There are people on this board who have failed the bar multiple times - none of you who are complaining about the thread will be in that position, I'm sure, but it happens. If you're not interested in dealing with that experience, don't comment on the thread. Also, try reading - there has been very little career advice, and more commentary on how the bar went and handling that side of things. Nor has the OP claimed that if you didn't fail the bar three times you should take any career advice from them. It's also perfectly appropriate for someone to post on this kind of topic anon. So just calm down and ignore the thread if it doesn't address your situation.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:26 pm

Genius wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Genius wrote:

It's this guy:

User avatarGenius

im not the one hiding behind anon and creating thread for passing the bar and doling out shit career advice. i did the right thing and NOT make my own thread for a minor achievement all of us pretty much attained. i did pass the bar tho, in California nonetheless. thank you. i just didn't take it 5 times in weaker jrx.

I'm glad you are putting that law license to good use, especially since it was such a difficult jurisdiction to obtain it in.

Hang in there, actually getting hired is easier and a minor achievement in the grand scheme of things. Not sure why you are struggling so bad, especially since you passed the bar on the first attempt. Maybe you aren't a very good interviewer or something else is extremely off. Think about it, you at giving me a hard time about 3 bar exams, you've bomber more interviews than I have bar exams! Hehe!
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:27 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Stop giving the OP shit. There are people on this board who have failed the bar multiple times - none of you who are complaining about the thread will be in that position, I'm sure, but it happens. If you're not interested in dealing with that experience, don't comment on the thread. Also, try reading - there has been very little career advice, and more commentary on how the bar went and handling that side of things. Nor has the OP claimed that if you didn't fail the bar three times you should take any career advice from them. It's also perfectly appropriate for someone to post on this kind of topic anon. So just calm down and ignore the thread if it doesn't address your situation.

Thanks Nony. As you correctly point out, I'm not giving career advice just relaying a story I thought might be helpful for others in the same boat or curious.

Rahviveh

Gold

Postby Rahviveh » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:33 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Stop giving the OP shit. There are people on this board who have failed the bar multiple times - none of you who are complaining about the thread will be in that position, I'm sure, but it happens. If you're not interested in dealing with that experience, don't comment on the thread. Also, try reading - there has been very little career advice, and more commentary on how the bar went and handling that side of things. Nor has the OP claimed that if you didn't fail the bar three times you should take any career advice from them. It's also perfectly appropriate for someone to post on this kind of topic anon. So just calm down and ignore the thread if it doesn't address your situation.

His story isn't helpful to anyone. All of the people who have actually asked questions are just waiting for bar results and he's feeding their paranoia. He's a troll

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:42 pm

Rahviveh wrote:

His story isn't helpful to anyone. All of the people who have actually asked questions are just waiting for bar results and he's feeding their paranoia. He's a troll

If people want to ask questions he can answer them. You don't have to read the thread. Further derailing of the thread on this topic will result in bans.

Rahviveh

Gold

Postby Rahviveh » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:43 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Rahviveh wrote:

If people want to ask questions he can answer them. You don't have to read the thread. Further derailing of the thread on this topic will result in bans.

Why are you such a shitty mod?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:53 pm

Rahviveh wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Rahviveh wrote:

Why are you such a shitty mod?

TLS isn't governed by what makes you comfortable. Banned.

cron1834

Gold

Postby cron1834 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:24 pm

I hope that's a lengthy ban. What a dick.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:56 pm

Let's see if we can get this thread back on track after an unfortunate detour.

Go ahead and ask questions. I don't mind answering them.

jchiles

Silver

Postby jchiles » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Genius wrote:

It's this guy:

User avatarGenius

Not trying to derail this thread but this is a weird and crappy thing to do. Genius or anyone else's job status has nothing to do with the merits of OP's story/advice.

Bach-City

Bronze

Postby Bach-City » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:19 pm

Last edited by Bach-City on Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:24 pm

jchiles wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Genius wrote:sounds like to him passing the bar on his 5th try was the highlight of his life so far and probably just wants to let it be known to the world. while tacky, i'll cut him some slack. i wouldnt take any career advice from him tho

User avatarGenius

Not trying to derail this thread but this is a weird and crappy thing to do. Genius or anyone else's job status has nothing to do with the merits of OP's story/advice.

Not a great look, but not unprovoked, either. Everyone just drop this whole line of discussion.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:33 pm

were you asked often on interviews whether you passed or failed? I'm currently clerking until August 2017 (so luckily if i fail this time around, my job is safe until then) however I'll be interviewing for positions all throughout the fall and likely around the time results are due to come out. I'm in a UBE jurisdiction so I guess its likely that I would be asked, but I do plan to interview in other states where I would need to take another exam anyway so hoping maybe it wouldn't come up..

haus

Gold

Postby haus » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:43 pm

With the increase in UBE states, have you observed any movement of test takers considering applying test scores that have come up short in their desired state to other states with lower score requirements?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:33 pm

Bach-City wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Let's see if we can get this thread back on track after an unfortunate detour.

Go ahead and ask questions. I don't mind answering them.

Could you talk a little more about managing your career while trying to pass the bar? Did it get more difficult over time?

Yes, it got very difficult. Not only is it difficult to study while working full time, it compounds when you realize you need to focus more on studying but are continually busy and trying to perform at the place that pays your bills and you hope brings you on as a lawyer once you pass.

Not too mention the mental toll multiple failures begins to take on you. It is damn tough.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:were you asked often on interviews whether you passed or failed? I'm currently clerking until August 2017 (so luckily if i fail this time around, my job is safe until then) however I'll be interviewing for positions all throughout the fall and likely around the time results are due to come out. I'm in a UBE jurisdiction so I guess its likely that I would be asked, but I do plan to interview in other states where I would need to take another exam anyway so hoping maybe it wouldn't come up..

Didn't come up in interviews because I stuck with the same job (non lawyer role) until I passed. But it came up at work often because people would ask about results or assume o had passed. It came up a lot in social situations or meeting new people. It was terribly awkward and it made me feel awful. I wouldn't wish continued failure like this on my own worst enemy.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help in the interview question. The only way I think you could address it in an interview is to just be staraight forward and upfront. Some will understand and some won't. It is what it is until you pass.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:42 pm

haus wrote:With the increase in UBE states, have you observed any movement of test takers considering applying test scores that have come up short in their desired state to other states with lower score requirements?

I have seen some of that taking place. In fact, I know of at least 3 attorneys who are licensed because of that.

It just wouldn't have worked out for me and my job to transfer to some state I have never even been to before.

Maybe not in the next 5-7 years, but soon every state will be a UBE state.

Genius

Silver

Postby Genius » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I'm glad you are putting that law license to good use, especially since it was such a difficult jurisdiction to obtain it in.

Hang in there, actually getting hired is easier and a minor achievement in the grand scheme of things. Not sure why you are struggling so bad, especially since you passed the bar on the first attempt. Maybe you aren't a very good interviewer or something else is extremely off. Think about it, you at giving me a hard time about 3 bar exams, you've bomber more interviews than I have bar exams! Hehe!

i am trying to lateral... not that I was jobless since passing the bar. it doesn't make sense to quote an isolated out of context post to make an untrue point.

to help this topic get back on track, im also open to answering questions about how I got 6-7 interviews from massmailing within a span of 6 weeks.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:51 am

To be fair, the Vale is usually for people who are unemployed, not for people trying to change jobs.

Return to “Legal Employment�