Canceling callback over the weekend, travel booked

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Canceling callback over the weekend, travel booked

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:12 am

Sorry, I know this is generally a topic that's been asked before, but the other threads I found on the subject weren't quite the same as my situation.

Got an offer late Friday, no longer interested in a callback I have on Monday. Travel's already booked (can't get a refund), supposed to leave today. What am I supposed to do here, etiquette-wise? Would really appreciate some advice.

Anonymous User

Re: Canceling callback over the weekend, travel booked

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:18 am

Right, someone literally just asked this question 2 hours ago since I checked last night.

Sorry 'bout that.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Postby kellyfrost » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:35 am

I have never been in this situation before; however, I do recognize how challenging it is.

You should reach out to rpupkin and see what he says. As a know it all, he has either expirienced this first hand, works with someone who did, or he will pretend he knows the propert ettiqutte. You may not even need to ask him though, he might just come on here and chime in with his two cents anyways.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:23 pm

I was in a similar situation and just went. Just see the sights, meet some friends, and just do the three hour interview. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. And who knows, maybe they'll wow you.

grades??

Silver

Postby grades?? » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:26 pm

kellyfrost wrote:I have never been in this situation before; however, I do recognize how challenging it is.

You should reach out to rpupkin and see what he says. As a know it all, he has either expirienced this first hand, works with someone who did, or he will pretend he knows the propert ettiqutte. You may not even need to ask him though, he might just come on here and chime in with his two cents anyways.

He did in the other thread. His answer "you can cancel".

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:27 pm

I'd say it's really up to you; you can go and see the place, or if you really dont want to, cancel it.

If you dont cancel, you are wasting everyone's time, and will be making the firm pay even more money [cab, hotel, food].

Law firms are businesses and they understand that it is part of the process that some of the people they want will take offers elsewhere.

retaking23

Bronze

Postby retaking23 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:29 pm

kellyfrost wrote:I have never been in this situation before; however, I do recognize how challenging it is.

Rofl. To echo what others have said, you can cancel. No big deal.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:37 pm

Don't be a sore loser, dude.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Postby kellyfrost » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:55 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:

I'm not. Can I not speak my mind?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:58 pm

kellyfrost wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

Posting just to snark about another poster doesn't answer the OP's question though.

FSK

Platinum

Postby FSK » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:00 pm

OK you god damn dillweeds could you think about your qeustions before you ask them. You'll meet with two partners for one half of ano hour each on a callback who probably bill at close to a grand an hour. They don't GAF about your flight (and they also don't gAF about you, don't let them fool you)
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Postby kellyfrost » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:13 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

Posting just to snark about another poster doesn't answer the OP's question though.

It gives him advice and names a resource he could reach out to.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:26 pm

kellyfrost wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

It gives him advice and names a resource he could reach out to.

What, you were actually being serious?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:02 pm

OP here, thanks for the advice.

And yeah, I know the lawyers aren't really gonna give a shit (probably be relieved they get the time back), but regardless it's kind of an awkward last minute thing so I just wanted to make sure.

Return to “Legal Employment�