Screeners v. Callbacks Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Screeners v. Callbacks

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:10 pm

Should I be approaching cbs differently? Was pretty content with how my screeners went, but actually getting offers has been another story :?

Anonymous User

Re: Screeners v. Callbacks

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:11 pm

I haven't really noticed a huge difference. There's maybe a little more emphasis in callbacks on you asking questions about the firm, so make sure you have some good ones chambered.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I haven't really noticed a huge difference.There's maybe a little more emphasis in callbacks on you asking questions about the firm, so make sure you have some good ones chambered.
This. Definitely this. There's more time with callbacks, and bound to be at least some awkward moments even if you interview well just because the chances with that many people. Make sure to have some questions in your back pocket for each interviewer, and some general ones as well. I think this is where I messed up last year. Don't make my stupid mistake.

Edit: My screeners went swimmingly and I had a pretty good screener to callback ratio. Ended up striking out. When I think about what I did differently this is really the only thing that comes to mind.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I haven't really noticed a huge difference. There's maybe a little more emphasis in callbacks on you asking questions about the firm, so make sure you have some good ones chambered.
Agreed

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:28 pm

Seems like callbacks generally focus more on fit. Maybe you did great in screeners because of grades/etc. and need to work a little harder on the fit aspect? The frequency of "what questions do you have for me?" is likely a part of it as well, as mentioned above.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:38 pm

Can someone post examples of questions you asked that were "firm specific"? I have a really hard time figuring out questions to ask that are well thought out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:39 pm

Can someone post examples of questions you asked that were "firm specific"? I have a really hard time figuring out questions to ask that are well thought out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:Can someone post examples of questions you asked that were "firm specific"? I have a really hard time figuring out questions to ask that are well thought out.
Really simple example: the firm has an unassigned associate period or rotation system for new associates. Ask about how it works in practice, or if it's an associate, their experience in the program/rotation. Shows you researched/know something about the firm that makes it unique from other firms

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:Can someone post examples of questions you asked that were "firm specific"? I have a really hard time figuring out questions to ask that are well thought out.
^^^^^^^^
I will generally follow up a question like that used above, with a question like: "when do you typically find that junior associates begin to specialize?"

From there you can go to the classic into the classic: "How did you first become interested/choose xxx practice group".

"I noticed that this office of your firm appears to have a pretty even split between partners and associates, In your experience does this lead to more interactions between young associates and partners? Do you feel this leads to young associates getting more hands on work early on?" This worked pretty well for me.

I still like to start with, "why this firm?" or some alteration. In my experience the interviewers are chomping at the bit to tell you about their experiences, why they think their place is the best.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:43 am

If they've worked on a case you find interesting and you can easily find that out from their official bio (meaning, don't be creepy), another good one is "you worked on x case, right? What was it like?" For partners in a free market system, "how do you staff your cases? Do you often find that more associates want to be on a case than you have bandwidth for?" And the vice versa for associates: "how do you get on cases?"

But I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to come ready with good questions and kind of learn how to talk yourself up without seeming like a douche while asking them, especially for the nightmare scenario when you show up and the interviewer immediately asks you what questions you have for them (which has happened to me a bunch).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:27 am

Like others have said, having more and better questions is key. It's a longer time slot and you're supposed to be there to get to know the firm just like they are getting to know you. I decided to have different sets of questions for jr. associates, mid or sr associates, and partners. For example, I don't like wasting a partner's time asking too much about the work of junior associates, so I tried to ask a bigger picture question like how the firm has adapted in recent years to the market, the growth of X practice group, a recent big case, or something like what they see is their firm's approach to work/any particular case. It just shows a bit of awareness about the firm's place in the larger landscape than basic question.

Associates would get questions focused more on the actual WORK they do – like for litigation, what's the level of responsibility you've been given so far? What kind of assignments? What's been the most difficult/interesting assignment and how did the firm help them work through it? I'll also ask about training/mentoring, etc.

fistfullofdollhairs

New

Post by fistfullofdollhairs » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:42 am

My callback experiences have been similar to my screeners with the only difference being that I am speaking with more people. Use Chambers Associates, Google, and other standard sources to get background info on the firms. Ask intelligent questions (this site is ripe with them). Know your resume. Be human.

The best advice I've gotten from this site is be prepared but remember that they are looking for personality fit. My worst interviews were ones where I had key points that I forced into the conversation. My interviewer was trying to be casual and I turned things serious. When I relaxed and talked about their recent vacation to my hometown instead of steering the conversation back to more details about my work experience, I was golden.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:21 pm

Maybe I am dumb, but I found my energy level at the end of callbacks, either the last interview or lunch, was low and that definitely influenced my performance. I did not have this issue with screeners and I had 15 screeners within one day. Know that callbacks are exhausting and be aware that you should be highly focused for the entire time no matter how exhausted you will be. You will cope with this issue much better if you are prepared.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:32 pm

If you're at the callback phase, you've already passed the preliminary phase. Firms aren't going to invite you for a callback if your grades or any other hard factor do not meet their threshold. They're looking for fit at the callback phase.

One of my best callbacks, was a partner and I talking about college football for the entirety of the callback. We both went to traditional football schools; he asked if I was a fan and the conversation went from there. They're looking for someone they want to work with on late nights or grab a beer with.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”