Stay Regional for the Summer or Move on to Big City

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Stay Regional for the Summer or Move on to Big City

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:47 pm

Here's the conundrum:

I am a 2L, top 25%, at a T60 school currently applying for 2L summer internships.

After applying to local firms, my spouse gets a job in a different state in a Major Midwestern city with a good sized legal market. I will finish school in our current state, but will move after graduation to the new city.

I am currently interviewing for strong well-known regional firms who have 6 week programs, and they are going well. I will know in the next few weeks whether or not I got the internships.

I feel I have missed my opportunity to apply to firms in the new city, plus I don't have OCI contacts in the new city. So firms are basically out for the new city. I could apply, and would be cool with, public interest work in the new city.

My number one goal is to whatever I can to ensure my chances of being employed in the new city after graduation.

My question is, if I get any offers from the regional firms, should I accept?

If I accept, I am missing out on a full summer of employment in the new city, but maybe I could swing a 6 week gig in the new city to try and make up for that? Another thing I am worried about is, if I accepted the regional offers, and then declined permanent employment because my spouse had already moved to new city, will I run a big risk of ruining my chances for a good recommendation from the regional firm?

If I don't accept, I miss out on the chance to intern at some really great firms, and could run the risk of not getting an internship at all in the new city, as I would have to decline my regional offers before I had anything in the new city.

SO... do I stay on tract with the regional firms, and hope for a 6 week thing in the new city, or should I drop all the regional stuff now and paper bomb the new city with my app?

THANKS!!!

Mullens

Silver

Re: Stay Regional for the Summer or Move on to Big City

Postby Mullens » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:09 pm

You should massmail all the firms in the new city asap. Today. You haven't missed anything.

landshoes

Silver

Re: Stay Regional for the Summer or Move on to Big City

Postby landshoes » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:11 pm

Paper bomb everyone in both cities.

Return to “Legal Employment�