(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:51 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

zot1

Gold

Re: What to do if you strike out of OCI (BigLaw)?

Postby zot1 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:53 pm

Mass mail. Network. Hustle.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:56 pm

Op here, I don't think mass mailing will help because firms will look for prior SA experience.

Do BigLaw firms hire 3Ls with no prior SA experience due to striking out at OCI as a transfer?

bk1

Diamond

Postby bk1 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:01 pm

zot1 probably means mass mail now to get an SA for next summer. You haven't struck out yet (even if you struck out of OCI, firms hire plenty of people outside of OCI). Also, don't focus on 3L hiring because it is irrelevant at the moment (and it is also nearly nonexistent).

If you don't end up working in biglaw then figure out what kind of non-biglaw work you want to do and aim for that.

Platinum

Postby 2014 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:02 pm

T10 schools barely get 25 employers to their 3L OCIs, I wouldn't hang your hat on the like 4 that show up to your school. You are certainly not going to get anything if you don't apply to jobs outside of the OCI process.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Op here, I don't think mass mailing will help because firms will look for prior SA experience.

Do BigLaw firms hire 3Ls with no prior SA experience due to striking out at OCI as a transfer?

I don't know about striking out as a transfer, but I struck out at OCI, worked an unpaid internship as a 2L, and landed a biglaw gig as a 3L. If you want a shot, focus on your grades, network your ass off, mass mail, and hustle.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:08 pm

OP here. Thanks for the advice. I will start mass mailing immediately. To the other anon, how did you land a gig at BigLaw after atriking out? Were they hiring 3Ls, as others mentioned which firms rarely do?

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:08 pm

bk1 wrote:zot1 probably means mass mail now to get an SA for next summer. You haven't struck out yet (even if you struck out of OCI, firms hire plenty of people outside of OCI). Also, don't focus on 3L hiring because it is irrelevant at the moment (and it is also nearly nonexistent).

If you don't end up working in biglaw then figure out what kind of non-biglaw work you want to do and aim for that.

Yes. I took for granted that s/he'd know what I meant.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:00 am

If you do strike out, what is the best way to get back on par 3L year and have a shot at BigLaw?

One would assume moot court, clinics, externships, journal/review, job, difficult substantive law classes.

Would grades be still the most important thing, particularly 2L grades and rank?

goodman1

New

Postby goodman1 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:I have a feeling that I may strike out. I was a transfer from a crappy T4 (ranked as bad or close to Cooley) to Lower ranked T1. Had a few screeners(3-5) but they all seemed to look down on the school I came from.

Have a strong feeling that I may strike out. The interviews did not go too well. Are my hopes for BigLaw forever ruined, or is it possible to recover, such as 3L OCI after actually having new grades at school?

The big issue is I don't have a GPA at this new school due to transfer and firms are hesitant of my past school.

Return to “Legal Employment�