Kirkland (Houston) Associate - Taking Questions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Kirkland (Houston) Associate - Taking Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:59 pm

lawyersHATEhim wrote:Anyone know how fast offers are coming after CBs and what the CB to offer ratio is?

IME from last year they move fast and send their 'no thanks' letters fast too. I got their actual letter faster than I got a bunch of call backs from screeners I did at the same time.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:53 am

How often does your office work with the China offices?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:41 am

This question was asked a year or so ago and not really acknowledged, so i'll ask it again. What is the difference in terms of exit options/ lateral options to cities/states outside of Texas between the Houston office of a V10 firm (LW, KE, etc.) and the NYC office of a global V50 (Orrick, KS, Goodwin, etc.)? Assume corporate work.

Does the prestige/ difference in rankings kind of balance out here or would a V10 associate still be the more attractive candidate all else being equal?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:02 pm

You usually go on house where clients are. So better exits in the city you wanna be in if you're already coming from there. Little diff beyond that in terms of law firm hiring

Right2BearArms

New

Postby Right2BearArms » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This question was asked a year or so ago and not really acknowledged, so i'll ask it again. What is the difference in terms of exit options/ lateral options to cities/states outside of Texas between the Houston office of a V10 firm (LW, KE, etc.) and the NYC office of a global V50 (Orrick, KS, Goodwin, etc.)? Assume corporate work.

Does the prestige/ difference in rankings kind of balance out here or would a V10 associate still be the more attractive candidate all else being equal?

V10 vs. V50 for clients makes little difference when it comes to in house hiring. The difference will be what clients know you and where they are located. There are times when a job that is not related to any work you do will come along, but those are going to be far more rare than going directly to a client or a parent/subsidiary of a client.

Truth is though, with email and electronic transmittal/signatures/teleconferencing, clients are all over the place. I work in Houston and in the last week have billed clients in Texas, Colorado, PA/WV and California. We have clients based in Oklahoma, Louisiana, Wyoming the Dakotas and Ohio as well (just ticking off deals/clients I have worked on in the last year or so), so physical location matters less. If you are looking to go in house at a bank or PE fund, those are going to be concentrated in NYC or Chicago or California, but many have offices in other cities, and if you work in energy, a good part of their teams tend to be based in Houston or sometimes Dallas in addition to NYC (at least in my experience).

Return to “Legal Employment?