Should it matter how a firm treated its associates during the recession?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Should it matter how a firm treated its associates during the recession?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:33 pm

Does it matter how firms treated (laid off, etc.) associates during the recession? [I may edit with my personal circumstance in asking this question]

Leonardo DiCaprio

Bronze

Re: Should it matter how a firm treated its associates during the recession?

Postby Leonardo DiCaprio » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:35 pm

hey should i marry this guy who used to beat the shit out of his ex-wife?

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does it matter how firms treated (laid off, etc.) associates during the recession? [I may edit with my personal circumstance in asking this question]

Yes, of course. If you're interviewing now as a rising 2L, there's a good chance--probably a better-than-even chance--that there will be a recession of some sort before or during your years as a junior associate.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:52 pm

How do we find out information regarding this?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:59 pm

Firms have already been laying off juniors during the current minor recession for economic reasons. Unlike 2009, you likely already signed something that bounds you to confidentiality if laid off for economic reasons, and you'd possibly be on the hook for millions of dollars so firms now can lay associates off for economic reasons but not have to worry about repercussions. Further, if this happens to you, it's likely you will be reminded that it's a small world, and partners at different firms talk. If somebody brave wants to be more, please go ahead.

If you're concerned about 2009, know that unlike 2009 if you're laid off for economic reasons, you will be sued if you tell anyone. Once you actually read your work for hire agreement, it's already too late to change firms but if possible the work for hire agreement should factor into your decision.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:07 pm

Okay, so has information on this been assembled anywhere in bulk? One of my firms was all over Above the Law, but for the others.

Return to “Legal Employment�