major typo in writing sample - callback coming up

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

major typo in writing sample - callback coming up

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:47 pm

I have an upcoming callback with a firm that required a writing sample. I sent it to the recruiter, and then today just realized I made a huge error in the very first sentence, where I accidentally repeated a word.

I want to make a full disclosure and send an amended version to the recruiter, and apologize. Does anyone have any advice on how I can overcome this error? I truly want to work for this firm and was looking forward to the interview, and I do not want this to bomb my whole callback. Thanks.

Anonymous User

Re: major typo in writing sample - callback coming up

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:51 pm

Full disclosure - I am not a recruiter. But I faced a similar problem when I was applying for firm jobs as I realized that my writing sample had a typo in the second sentence before the callback. I didn't say anything. They didn't say anything. My second interviewer had my writing sample out in front of her during our chat and I could see that she had circled the typo. She still didn't say anything. Got the offer.

Just an anecdote, but there's a good chance they won't notice. Even if they do, I don't think telling them really helps you, and could really hurt you. I would roll the dice on it.

zot1

Gold

Re: major typo in writing sample - callback coming up

Postby zot1 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:05 pm

Let it go.

Return to “Legal Employment�