Not impostor syndrome, just an impostor

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Not impostor syndrome, just an impostor

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:56 pm

Straightforwardly I don't think I ever deserved to go to law school. I've struck gold with with my 1L grades, and transferred into CCN. 30+ interviews over the screener interview period and only 1CB at a firm outside of v100. So I may have gotten good grades in 1L by some accident, but even an interviewer who has met me for 20 minutes can probably tell that I'm a total fake. I don't know what to do now, it's so frustrating. I thought I had impostor syndrome when I was first uncertain about myself, but now I know I'm just a real impostor who got into CCN despite not deserving it, and all the interviewers can tell even if I have shiny grades to try to hide it.

Wild Card

Bronze

Re: Not impostor syndrome, just an impostor

Postby Wild Card » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:10 pm

Fishing for compliments?

You're extremely skilled at taking law school exams, given your consistently strong performance. Some see exam-taking as a proxy for practice success, so you're well-prepared in their eyes--and in the eyes of NYU.

Perhaps you're letting your complexes get the better of you during interviews. It's obvious when your interlocutor has a chip on her shoulder. Cut that out.

Though there may be pedigree discrimination, it's still early. Firms are still extending callbacks. Relax.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:36 pm

Yeah sure I'm fishing for compliments with my 1 non-v100 callback and three hundred thousand dollars of debt wow look at how shitstained and disgusting i am go me i just have no idea why i ever thought i could do well

I am not skilled at taking exams. It's just this time that I managed to do well, not that it brought me anything but debt at CCN. I was always shit and will always be shit

kingpin101

Bronze

Postby kingpin101 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:38 pm

What is the point of the thread?

NoBladesNoBows

Silver

Postby NoBladesNoBows » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yeah sure I'm fishing for compliments with my 1 non-v100 callback and three hundred thousand dollars of debt wow look at how shitstained and disgusting i am go me i just have no idea why i ever thought i could do well

I am not skilled at taking exams. It's just this time that I managed to do well, not that it brought me anything but debt at CCN. I was always shit and will always be shit

I hope you're exaggerating or trolling, but if not, you need to be reaching out to family and friends right now, not people on TLS.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:40 pm

You're not shit. Your interviewers aren't magically seeing the truth about you that you've hidden from everyone else. Callbacks don't reflect intelligence or lawyering ability - they reflect the ability to fit in a particular kind of box desired by the employer. Isn't it possible that being a transfer is much more of an issue here than you sucking? From what I read around here, if the employers didn't hire from your old school they may well not hire you as a transfer. That doesn't have anything to do with your ability, though, but with assumptions that firms use to winnow down their applicant pool.

cron1834

Gold

Postby cron1834 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yeah sure I'm fishing for compliments with my 1 non-v100 callback and three hundred thousand dollars of debt wow look at how shitstained and disgusting i am go me i just have no idea why i ever thought i could do well

This is a bizarre response to someone who gave you some pretty honest talk. I'd suggest you read their message again, carefully this time.

gaddockteeg

Bronze

Postby gaddockteeg » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:07 pm

Dude, you have probably have a crappy personality and are plain unlikeable. That is what the interviewers are picking up on.

You're not an imposter, though.

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:22 pm

Maybe the interviewers are the impostors? :shock:

merlin-

New

Postby merlin- » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:27 pm

You are very likely way ahead of your class. The average law student thinks they know it all, when they know nothing. You already know that you don’t know anything. Since you know nothing, you can become anything – so fake it until you make it.
Good luck, and good job with fooling law school, now onto the legal world.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:35 pm

If this is how you feel and not trolling please call a friend or family member or seek professional help. Oci isn't done, hiring isn't done and even if it was there are many paths to being a successful and happy attorney. Big law feels like everything right now, it does to me but it really is not the only path to success or fulfillment. For many of us it probably won't end up being a good path to those things.

You are worth more than whatever comes out of oci.

thisiswater

Silver

Postby thisiswater » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

If this is how you feel and not trolling please call a friend or family member or seek professional help. Oci isn't done, hiring isn't done and even if it was there are many paths to being a successful and happy attorney. Big law feels like everything right now, it does to me but it really is not the only path to success or fulfillment. For many of us it probably won't end up being a good path to those things.

You are worth more than whatever comes out of oci.

Accidental anon sorry

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:07 pm

Interviewers are probably picking up on your pathological (and yes, baseless) lack of self-confidence. Most smart people feel this way sometimes. Buck up.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:48 pm

Here's a hint: nobody deserves it. Everybody is an imposter.

smallfirmassociate

Bronze

Postby smallfirmassociate » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:19 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:Here's a hint: nobody deserves it. Everybody is an imposter.

Return to “Legal Employment?