1 offer, not the most desired, now what to do?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 316308
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

1 offer, not the most desired, now what to do?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:10 am

I got the offer today, not the tippy top on my list, but quite good one as well. They treated me well and I was apparently the top choice from day 1. I really don't want to leave a bad impression even before the start of SA. But I am still hopeful to hear back from a couple more firms.

This is 7 business days after in initial screener (which went very well) with my dream firm (V20) and I have not heard anything. How likely I will hear back at all? Can I reach out to them and ask?

I also have 7- 8 call backs in a line and I will cancel most of them. For 1 that I do still want to do, can I request a faster decision citing the offer i received?

Anonymous User
Posts: 316308
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1 offer, not the most desired, now what to do?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:18 am

I'm in almost the exact same boat, very interested in hearing thoughts on this. Can I ask the firms for your offer and top choice?

NotMyRealName09

Silver
Posts: 1396
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:50 pm

Re: 1 offer, not the most desired, now what to do?

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:23 am

Though a tough call, and maybe others will differ, but I say go on more callbacks and be up front about it with the firm that offered you. Ask them how long the offer is open for, as you have other callbacks lined up and you think you would be doing yourself a disservice if you did not explore every potential opportunity available to you at this early point in your career. This is a big decision.

I did this with the firm I eventually SA'd at - they give quick, rolling offers, and I told them after they offered that I needed a little more time to think about it and already had other callbacks scheduled that I planned to attend. They understood, I went on more callbacks, and eventually canceled my last one because it was scheduled out like a month (this was 2008, economy tanked, some firms delayed / canceled their OCI) and I knew I wanted to accept the first offer. They were understanding and while surely they would have liked me to accept on the spot, they didn't cold-shoulder me either.

Be the hot girl, be a little unavailable, if you're that desirable they will get it and wait patiently. In fact, they probably expect it if they are coming after you so hard. I really don't think they'll pull your offer if you tell them with sincerity that you very much appreciate it, you can see yourself working their, but you just think you owe it to your future to explore all options.

And I'll tell you what - it makes those extra callbacks go very smoothly because you KNOW you've got a job in your back pocket, so you can let your guard down and really explore the "fit" without worrying about rejection. I did this and discovered no other firm felt as right as the one I chose.

Anonymous User
Posts: 316308
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1 offer, not the most desired, now what to do?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:26 am

1) cancel CBs that you wouldn't take over your current offer.
2) call your #1 and tell them you have a time-sensitive offer.

So far all the CBs I went to they always said if I need a quick answer for an offer, give them a call.

User avatar
okaygo

Silver
Posts: 789
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:23 pm

Re: 1 offer, not the most desired, now what to do?

Postby okaygo » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:27 am

I would cancel the call backs of any firm that you wouldn't go to over the offer that you have in hand. I personally would not call your first choice firm and push them to make a decision, although reasonable minds may disagree. It doesn't seem like you actually need to know their answer for any reason other than general impatience. Firms generally don't care/wont remember when you accept as long as it's prior to any given deadline.

As far as your top choice firm, they'll let you know of their decision when they have one. Rushing them seems silly. There are a number reasons they may have you waiting (recruiting/hiring hasn't met, you're on a holding list etc) and you really don't need to know of your decision immediately.

My two cents.

NotMyRealName09

Silver
Posts: 1396
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:50 pm

Re: 1 offer, not the most desired, now what to do?

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:I got the offer today, not the tippy top on my list, but quite good one as well. They treated me well and I was apparently the top choice from day 1. I really don't want to leave a bad impression even before the start of SA. But I am still hopeful to hear back from a couple more firms.

This is 7 business days after in initial screener (which went very well) with my dream firm (V20) and I have not heard anything. How likely I will hear back at all? Can I reach out to them and ask?

I also have 7- 8 call backs in a line and I will cancel most of them. For 1 that I do still want to do, can I request a faster decision citing the offer i received?


I don't know that you can so much ask for them to accelerate their decision, but I think it fair to advise the hiring coordinator (or whoever is point person) that you enjoyed the callback, that you have a pending offer, that you would be receptive to an offer from them, and ask them to provide an estimate of when they'll make a decision. If they want you bad, they might speed up the decision of their own volition, and if they don't speed up the decision, then its up to you whether you accept your offer or hold out. I don't think they'll pull your offer for holding out, but clarify with everyone all the relevant timeframes for decision.

User avatar
OutCold

Bronze
Posts: 482
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:57 pm

Re: 1 offer, not the most desired, now what to do?

Postby OutCold » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:21 pm

Most firms want to know if you have an offer ticking. However, you have 30(?) days to accept under the NALP guidelines, so it's better to tell them when you need to accept the other offer by.

stoopkid13

Bronze
Posts: 271
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:31 am

Re: 1 offer, not the most desired, now what to do?

Postby stoopkid13 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:23 pm

OutCold wrote:Most firms want to know if you have an offer ticking. However, you have 30(?) days to accept under the NALP guidelines, so it's better to tell them when you need to accept the other offer by.


I think its 28 days



Return to “Legal Employment�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.