STB v. Cleary v. Debevoise Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which firm is best SA option?

STB
52%
Cleary
16%
Debevoise
32%

Total votes: 31

huskypearq

New

STB v. Cleary v. Debevoise

Post by huskypearq » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:07 am

I'm trying (and having a hard time) deciding between these three...I want to do corporate work although I'm undecided within that group. I liked all three firms a lot during my CB's and wanted to get others opinions as to quality of work, culture, and prestige. Anyone have opinions or incites? Also if anyone has been a SA at any of these firms feel free to PM!

SLS_AMG

Bronze

Re: STB v. Cleary v. Debevoise

Post by SLS_AMG » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:23 pm

All three are great firms. I think Debevoise is great if you're interested in one of their specialty areas (private M&A--particularly fund formation--for example), but if you're unsure I'd say STB and Cleary offer a broader range of top-notch practices. Between the two, STB is perhaps a shade more "prestigious" in that it's a traditional white-shoe firm along with CSM, S&C and DPW. But really that's just splitting hairs. I think STB people have a reputation for being a bit reserved and Cleary has a reputation of being quirky, whatever that means. Can't really go wrong with any of the three, though. Good luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:34 pm

Cleary for sure.

ernestng

New

Post by ernestng » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:35 pm

^ Sorry accidentally anon'd. But Cleary.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:43 pm

sorry to hijack the thread but how does the calculation change if DPW is added to the mix? I realize these firms are all very similar substantively so culture plays a big role. Which firm is the most social? If you're looking for somewhere where people go out to grab drinks frequently but without the "fratty" atmosphere of a Skadden, which of these four is the best choice?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:49 pm

I'd say Cleary, Debevoise, followed by STB. DPW is a lot less drinky.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'd say Cleary, Debevoise, followed by STB. DPW is a lot less drinky.
Than Debevoise and STB?! Lol no. I summered at one of these firms and have friends at all of them. DPW and Cleary are far and away more social than the other two.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:46 pm

I must've had a different experience from you then because DPW has been pretty quiet generally to me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'd say Cleary, Debevoise, followed by STB. DPW is a lot less drinky.
Than Debevoise and STB?! Lol no. I summered at one of these firms and have friends at all of them. DPW and Cleary are far and away more social than the other two.
I am an associate at one of these firms and have friends at all of them and can confirm that anecdata is anecdata. This is going to depend on what group you end up in and the people you work for way more than the firm you choose. These firms all have very similar cultures.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:54 pm

For the widest variety or top notch transactional work, Simpson. For the firm I like most culture wise, Cleary Gottlieb, which is a very very close second to Simpson in terms of work quality. Debevoise would be last of the three.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:06 pm

Can I piggyback on this same comparison trio, but w/r/t white collar and/or IP litigation?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”