Firm receptions for students with callbacks- attend?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Firm receptions for students with callbacks- attend?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:22 pm

Hey folks. Just wanted your thoughts as to whether one should attend firm receptions for callback students. I'm not sure if I'm reading too much into it, but it seems like a soft requirement for an offer.

Anonymous User

Re: Firm receptions for students with callbacks- attend?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey folks. Just wanted your thoughts as to whether one should attend firm receptions for callback students. I'm not sure if I'm reading too much into it, but it seems like a soft requirement for an offer.

Is this really a question? You've been invited to an exclusive event with a firm that I'm assuming you would like to work for. Why would you even consider not attending? That just gives them a reason to not take you as a serious applicant anymore.

Atmosphere

Silver

Postby Atmosphere » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hey folks. Just wanted your thoughts as to whether one should attend firm receptions for callback students. I'm not sure if I'm reading too much into it, but it seems like a soft requirement for an offer.

Is this really a question? You've been invited to an exclusive event with a firm that I'm assuming you would like to work for. Why would you even consider not attending? That just gives them a reason to not take you as a serious applicant anymore.

"I'm just really not into free drinks"

Joscellin

Gold

Postby Joscellin » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I suppose if the reception is in one city and you have a CB scheduled in another city on the same day it makes sense. If you're in the city with the reflection, though, go.

WheninLaw

Silver

Postby WheninLaw » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:17 pm

Between this and the other thread where someone suggested lying about other CBs, I seriously worry about all of you.

Mr. Blackacre

Bronze

Postby Mr. Blackacre » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:17 pm

I'll offer a different perspective from the hive mind. If you are good at socializing, meeting people, and making small talk, sure, attend the reception. There's really no reason not to. But if you are on the more socially awkward side, as many of us are, going to a reception might make you look bad compared to other applicants. I guess my experience is slightly different - I didn't attend a callback dinner after OCI, but I went to my firm's offer dinner and regretted it. I was a lot less talkative and social than other admitted students, and it showed. I'm convinced if this had been a callback dinner, it would have hurt me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:24 pm

Mr. Blackacre wrote:I'll offer a different perspective from the hive mind. If you are good at socializing, meeting people, and making small talk, sure, attend the reception. There's really no reason not to. But if you are on the more socially awkward side, as many of us are, going to a reception might make you look bad compared to other applicants. I guess my experience is slightly different - I didn't attend a callback dinner after OCI, but I went to my firm's offer dinner and regretted it. I was a lot less talkative and social than other admitted students, and it showed. I'm convinced if this had been a callback dinner, it would have hurt me.

have to agree with this. if you can't work a room, don't do it. as far as I'm aware, most of these post-CB receptions are with younger people - think SAs and juniors. imagine fraternity/sorority recruitment. if you can't do that, say you have another obligation or something.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mr. Blackacre wrote:I'll offer a different perspective from the hive mind. If you are good at socializing, meeting people, and making small talk, sure, attend the reception. There's really no reason not to. But if you are on the more socially awkward side, as many of us are, going to a reception might make you look bad compared to other applicants. I guess my experience is slightly different - I didn't attend a callback dinner after OCI, but I went to my firm's offer dinner and regretted it. I was a lot less talkative and social than other admitted students, and it showed. I'm convinced if this had been a callback dinner, it would have hurt me.

have to agree with this. if you can't work a room, don't do it. as far as I'm aware, most of these post-CB receptions are with younger people - think SAs and juniors. imagine fraternity/sorority recruitment. if you can't do that, say you have another obligation or something.

I mean, do these guys actually have much impact on offer decisions though? I don't think you need to be a social expert to pull these off, merely passable.

Given that they're mostly juniors, these are like the perfect opportunity to gauge the people you may be choosing to come work with. If you're trying to figure out whether the firm is a fit for you, this seems invaluable.

Joscellin

Gold

Postby Joscellin » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I mean, do these guys actually have much impact on offer decisions though? I don't think you need to be a social expert to pull these off, merely passable.

Given that they're mostly juniors, these are like the perfect opportunity to gauge the people you may be choosing to come work with. If you're trying to figure out whether the firm is a fit for you, this seems invaluable.

Accidental anon, I'm above poster.

dedede

New

Postby dedede » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:44 pm

My former firm did this and basically treated it as an extension of the interview. You should absolutely go.

favabeansoup

Bronze

Postby favabeansoup » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Note this is often not the case re: only juniors going to these events. I have been to many of them as an applicant and as an attorney. Yes there are usually a lot of junior people, but there are usually also several partners, probably a hiring partner, as well who have substantial influence on whether you proceed.

Not going because of your bad social skills is fine and all, but the others who do go have an advantage. Not to offend anyone or hurt feelings, but not having adequate social skills to network and talk with several attorneys for like an hour isn't the best sign.

Return to “Legal Employment�