Stop Posting Anonymously in Legal Employment Threads

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jbagelboy

Diamond

Stop Posting Anonymously in Legal Employment Threads

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:17 pm

Unless your post contains legitimately sensitive or personal employment information.

You don't need the anonymous function to discuss a collateral point, make a joke, or relay information or advise completely unrelated to who you are, where you work, or something else personal to you or your professional environment.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Re: Stop Posting Anonymously in Legal Employment Threads

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:18 pm

BTW this is me.

Anonymous User wrote:Unless your post contains legitimately sensitive or personal employment information.

You don't need the anonymous function to discuss a collateral point, make a joke, or relay information or advise completely unrelated to who you are, where you work, or something else personal to you or your professional environment.

cookiejar1

Silver

Postby cookiejar1 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:20 pm

Ignore bagelboy everyone, this is actually me.

Anonymous User wrote:Unless your post contains legitimately sensitive or personal employment information.

Auxilio

Silver

Postby Auxilio » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:30 pm

cookiejar1 wrote:Ignore bagelboy everyone, this is actually me.

I wish you guys wouldn't try and take credit for my post.

ETA: didn't actually mean to do this anonymously, but I think it works better.

lawlorbust

Bronze

Postby lawlorbust » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
cookiejar1 wrote:Ignore bagelboy everyone, this is actually me.

I wish you guys wouldn't try and take credit for my post.

ETA: didn't actually mean to do this anonymously, but I think it works better.

First anon is NOT me, the OP.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:11 pm

Okay, I think we are back on track here.

FuturePaulClement

New

Postby FuturePaulClement » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:18 pm

You're not the boss of me.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:25 pm

No, but I can out people who post anon.

smallfirmassociate

Bronze

Postby smallfirmassociate » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:28 pm

What's with the "accidental anon" posts? I have a hard time believing that a group of supposedly smart people who get paid to pay attention to detail regularly "accidentally" click the wrong button on a forum they visit multiple times per week.

I've suspected it's a way to keep open the option of deleting the "oops, that was me" post later, and if anyone quotes the substantial post, it just remains on the site as an anonymous quotation.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:41 pm

Actually the anonymous quote button (on the desktop version) is newer and looks a lot like the regular quote button. (Tougher on a phone where the options are spelled out.)

JenDarby

Diamond

Postby JenDarby » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:38 pm

smallfirmassociate wrote:What's with the "accidental anon" posts? I have a hard time believing that a group of supposedly smart people who get paid to pay attention to detail regularly "accidentally" click the wrong button on a forum they visit multiple times per week.

I've suspected it's a way to keep open the option of deleting the "oops, that was me" post later, and if anyone quotes the substantial post, it just remains on the site as an anonymous quotation.

If you post mainly from your phone in the lounge, you're clicking that upper right hand button way more than a few times a week. It's pretty easy to move into the on topics, click the upper right button, and accidentally be anon.

It's exactly the same but orange and overtakes the non anon lounge quote position.

smallfirmassociate

Bronze

Postby smallfirmassociate » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:45 pm

JenDarby wrote:It's exactly the same but orange and overtakes the non anon lounge quote position.

Ah, ok, that makes sense. I'm not a lounge poster. Thanks for the explanation.

1styearlateral

Silver

Postby 1styearlateral » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:59 pm

Most times I feel users use the anon feature to broadcast their opinions on various topics to have an unnecessary blanket of security (as if an arbitrary username wasn't anon enough). The people on these forums care wayyyy too much about what other people think about them. I'm sure if the attorneys who browse these forums could use the anon feature irl they'd be much more comfortable interacting with others on a more social level. Just goes to show you how socially autistic this profession is.

The above opinion and social commentary is proudly submitted non-anon.

Return to “Legal Employment�