No Reply to Thank You Emails = Bad Sign?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

No Reply to Thank You Emails = Bad Sign?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:09 pm

Had a CB with a firm this week and out of the 4 thank you emails i sent to partners I interviewed with, I only got 1 reply. Is it a bad sign if they don't reply? Part of me wants to think they are just busy and don't feel the need to reply but does anyone have any insight?

To go off this question, had another CB where 3 out of the 5 replied, so is that considered a good sign?

Anonymous User

Re: No Reply to Thank You Emails = Bad Sign?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:20 pm

Not a partner, but I have never replied to a thank you email after receiving lots of them, unless there is a question buried in the email. I also don't reply to thank you notes. I would not worry about this.

ETA: I do like getting them, and if you come back, it makes me remember that we talked, but make sure you spell my name, your name, and the firm's name correctly if you're going to send them.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clemenceau

Silver

Postby Clemenceau » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:21 pm

It means nothing.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:21 pm

First off, your thank you'd weren't necessary to begin with. Second, do you suggest that they thank you for your thank you note? And if they do thank you for your thank you note, do you plan on sending them an email thanking them for thanking you about your original thank you note?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:25 pm

I would send thank-you notes with the expectation that you will not receive a reply. Unless you include follow-up questions about the firm, most thank-you notes wouldn't really call for or merit a reply. If you do receive a reply, I would interpret it as a neutral sign unless the partner explicitly says something really encouraging. Waiting sucks but trying to read tea leaves will only increase your anxiety

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:30 pm

A reply with encouraging words isn't necessarily a good sign either... I got a reply along the lines of "I really enjoyed getting to speak with you and you will be hearing from us soon!" and received an email ding about 20 min later.

thegrayman

Silver

Postby thegrayman » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:08 pm

biglaw associates and partners are busy as shit, it means nothing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:24 pm

When I was interviewing for a 1L summer positions, I sent out 4 thank you emails to my interviewers. Only the one partner I interviewed with responded, and I thought I for sure got the job. It was the longest response to a thank you email I'd ever received:

"Dear X:

Thank you for your kind note. I enjoyed you and learning about your varied experiences, especially in X and X. You are a strong candidate who knows what it takes to work in an environment such as X. Hope you receive good news!"

---> Rejection

On the other hand, I've had two callbacks and haven't bother to write thank you notes. ----> two offers

I'm not saying there's a correlation. I am saying not to stress it. Receiving a response to a thank you is rare and often times doesn't indicate anything.

Bilb0Baggins

New

Postby Bilb0Baggins » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:27 pm

Clemenceau wrote:It means nothing.

TCR

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:45 pm

Yeah meaningless. In fact, only response to a post callback thank you email I ever got was from an associate at firm that eventually dinged me.

Return to “Legal Employment�