Do You Think This Cost Me The Possibility of Getting An Offer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Do You Think This Cost Me The Possibility of Getting An Offer?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:10 pm

During my CB with a NYC firm, I had 4 interviews - each 30 minutes. During my third interview with a partner, he caught me looking at my watch at the 26 minute mark and then I awkwardly started playing with my fingers to make it seem like I wasn't. I was only trying to make sure I was on schedule and wouldn't be late to the next interview since each interviewer was supposed to take me to my next interview at the 30 minute mark and all of them kept forgetting to stay on schedule. My interview with this partner was INCREDIBLE and it was a conversation with a lot of laughter. Do you think this instance could possibly cost me getting an offer? After this happened though, he continued to talk and told me "let me share another story with you" and continued on as normal. At the end of the interview I told him how much I enjoyed his stories about his work experience and he told me to come talk to him again to hear some more. I just hope what happened at the 26 minute mark wasnt a deal breaker. He also did not respond to my thank you email (which is totally normal I know but I tend to overthink everything).

Anonymous User

Re: Do You Think This Cost Me The Possibility of Getting An Offer?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:During my CB with a NYC firm, I had 4 interviews - each 30 minutes. During my third interview with a partner, he caught me looking at my watch at the 26 minute mark and then I awkwardly started playing with my fingers to make it seem like I wasn't. I was only trying to make sure I was on schedule and wouldn't be late to the next interview since each interviewer was supposed to take me to my next interview at the 30 minute mark and all of them kept forgetting to stay on schedule. My interview with this partner was INCREDIBLE and it was a conversation with a lot of laughter. Do you think this instance could possibly cost me getting an offer? After this happened though, he continued to talk and told me "let me share another story with you" and continued on as normal. At the end of the interview I told him how much I enjoyed his stories about his work experience and he told me to come talk to him again to hear some more. I just hope what happened at the 26 minute mark wasnt a deal breaker. He also did not respond to my thank you email (which is totally normal I know but I tend to overthink everything).

-_-

Blunt talk: in the future, whether they take you to the next interviewer at minute 5 or 50, it is up to the interviewer to pace things. They didn't "forget" to stay on schedule; they wanted to keep talking to you. They're aware of their colleagues' schedules and the longer you run, the better sign it is. I'm time-conscious as well, but if you can't resist the urge to check your watch during an interview, don't wear one.

Positive talk: hopefully he either didn't notice or assumed that you were adjusting the strap. I wish you the best of luck and if everything else genuinely went well, I highly doubt that'll be the dealbreaker.

Clemenceau

Silver

Postby Clemenceau » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:36 pm

Wow. Seriously?

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Postby LaLiLuLeLo » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:03 pm

I was going to say it's not a big deal until I realized it's a callback. Jeez...it's not like OCI. It's not your responsibility to worry about the interview schedule. Don't do it again is all I can say.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:01 pm

At my firm, I am always looking for the little pop-up message (email/IM) on my screen from your next interviewer that they're ready for you. They are not "forgetting to stick on schedule" if they are running late. They are trying not to take you to an empty office.

PSA: Don't worry about the callback's timing. We will.

PSA pt. 2: Little gaffes like this one are probably fine if you're otherwise likeable.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Postby jbagelboy » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:At my firm, I am always looking for the little pop-up message (email/IM) on my screen from your next interviewer that they're ready for you. They are not "forgetting to stick on schedule" if they are running late. They are trying not to take you to an empty office.

PSA: Don't worry about the callback's timing. We will.

PSA pt. 2: Little gaffes like this one are probably fine if you're otherwise likeable.

^I like this answer. If you are otherwise likeable and a good candidate, this won't "cost you" the offer. But don't do it again or worry about this.

Return to “Legal Employment�