Lateral Salary Negotiation Question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Lateral Salary Negotiation Question

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:56 pm

I anticipate an offer from an AmLaw 200 firm in a recently established satellite office. This particular office hasn't hired any new associates since its creation, so no "associate salary scale" has been established. I'm coming from a small firm, and the AmLaw firm knows my currently salary, which is significantly below "market" for my area (think 70-85k). Other large firms in the area start first years anywhere from 135-145k, so I would be ok starting with a "first year" salary, but I think I might get lowballed on the salary offer. Any thoughts on how to approach the situation if they offer me something below the local "market" rate for other large firms? Also, FWIW, this firm known to pay market in all states it has an office (old market scale, at least).

Anonymous User

Re: Lateral Salary Negotiation Question

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:45 pm

Wondering how would they know your current salary? Do they verify with previous employer as a hiring procedure, or did you just tell them voluntarily?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Wondering how would they know your current salary? Do they verify with previous employer as a hiring procedure, or did you just tell them voluntarily?

They asked me during a callback and I didn't want to start off being untruthful if they some how found out.

ClubberLang

Bronze

Postby ClubberLang » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:46 pm

Just take whatever they offer. You aren't really "negotiating" from a position of power here. They aren't going to lowball you or anything like that. I wouldn't risk the prospective offer by saying something stupid.

kcdc1

Silver

Postby kcdc1 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:53 pm

ClubberLang wrote:Just take whatever they offer. You aren't really "negotiating" from a position of power here. They aren't going to lowball you or anything like that. I wouldn't risk the prospective offer by saying something stupid.

This is lame. If you have an offer in hand, you have leverage. Come up with a reasonable ask and some reason why they should pay your ask. It's not rude, and it won't result in your offer being pulled. You're a lawyer. Negotiate.

ClubberLang

Bronze

Postby ClubberLang » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:14 pm

kcdc1 wrote:
ClubberLang wrote:Just take whatever they offer. You aren't really "negotiating" from a position of power here. They aren't going to lowball you or anything like that. I wouldn't risk the prospective offer by saying something stupid.

This is lame. If you have an offer in hand, you have leverage. Come up with a reasonable ask and some reason why they should pay your ask. It's not rude, and it won't result in your offer being pulled. You're a lawyer. Negotiate.

Whatever, OP, maybe check back when you actually get an offer. It is unlikely they'll lowball you and get you on anything other than their standard class year plan. To the extent you are quibbling about coming on at a first year salary vs. a second year salary, personally I'd be thrilled to move up from 70-85k to whatever it is they are paying.

Toni V

Bronze

Postby Toni V » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Other large firms in the area start first years anywhere from 135-145k, so I would be ok starting with a "first year" salary....

Routinely firms start you out at their predetermined figure based on when you graduated.

Return to “Legal Employment�