Mediocre reviews?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Mediocre reviews?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:50 pm

I got good reviews midsummer, but pretty mediocre ones at the end--stuff like attention to detail and not asking enough questions mixed in with some positive stuff. Still got an offer, etc. Should I actually be concerned about this aside from improving once I start?

Anonymous User

Re: Mediocre reviews?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:34 am

Bump as I am also interested to know.

jarofsoup

Gold

Postby jarofsoup » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:37 am

Just have a positive attitude. You are super junior and it is expected. You got an offer still so dont worry so much.

jkpolk

Silver

Postby jkpolk » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I got good reviews midsummer, but pretty mediocre ones at the end--stuff like attention to detail and not asking enough questions mixed in with some positive stuff. Still got an offer, etc. Should I actually be concerned about this aside from improving once I start?

That's normal. As you work at the job you'll learn what questions to ask and what to pay attention to. These things aren't self-evident and take time to develop. Honestly, dodging the "THIS KID WAS THE WORST NEVER WANT TO WORK WITH HIM AGAIN" review is basically the goal every time reviews come up.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:31 pm

I'll go against the grain. Attention to detail is what you will be paid to do, and a partner who was reviewing me said that attention to detail is basically the only skill you're expected to have as a junior. You won't know which details you should be paying attention to, but the ability to pay attention to detail globally is important.

None of this is worth freaking out over. You'll be fine. But it might be helpful to think about (1) what sort of attention to detail you were missing (typos? misreading cases? misusing defined terms?) and (2) find something you can do that will build that skill. You can work on improving your attention to detail by doing things like clinic/drafting classes and journal assignments (I swear to god, learning to care about whether a comma is improperly italicized is like the best training for avoiding typos/drafting errors ever).

Return to “Legal Employment�