biglawrefuge - a site for aggregating OCI statistics, request for feedback

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
codeandcodes

New

biglawrefuge - a site for aggregating OCI statistics, request for feedback

Postby codeandcodes » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:19 pm

Hi guys,

I'm the creator of http://www.biglawrefuge.com/, a website for law students to aggregate anonymous statistics during OCI. I noticed over the course of this OCI cycle that biglawrefuge hasn't seen as much use, so I'm reaching out to the community to see if you guys have any feedback why. My hope with the website is that as more users use it, it would become a more useful repository of information that could benefit the community. Any information would be much appreciated. Thanks!

-codeandcodes

http://www.biglawrefuge.com/

Internetdan

New

Re: biglawrefuge - a site for aggregating OCI statistics, request for feedback

Postby Internetdan » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:34 am

Don't know except a login screen as the first thing you see will turn a lot of people off.

And building a tenable online blog/ community that hits critical mass will take years and years if ever.

gaddockteeg

Bronze

Postby gaddockteeg » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:37 pm

Internetdan wrote:Don't know except a login screen as the first thing you see will turn a lot of people off.

And building a tenable online blog/ community that hits critical mass will take years and years if ever.

Agreed. I clicked OP's website before reading this comment and immediately closed after seeing a sign on screen.

OP: also, as a potential user, I'm not really incentivized to sign up if I don't know what I'm getting for it.

For example, the front page is too vague for me to want to jump through all the hoops right now. What law firms are there? E.g., as someone going through OCI, I might want to know what Cooley's CB/offer ratio is or GPA is generally needed, etc etc. I have no idea if this info is there, and if so, if Cooley is even one of the firms you have data for. Usually what draws people to these websites is that they have a specific question they want answered first. For instance, I'll bet like 95% of the people people who find TLS come through with a google search for some unique question. Then lurk for a while - and then thye don't create an account until much later.
Last edited by gaddockteeg on Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:37 pm

Make data more visual like law school numbers.

Auxilio

Silver

Postby Auxilio » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:51 pm

Another problem I noticed is that I actually made an account, planned on doing a few firms, but it looked like a really tedious input process (especially if I do a lot of firms) so I didn't bother.

codeandcodes

New

Postby codeandcodes » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:14 am

Thanks for the great feedback so far!

Yes, I'm toying with the idea of getting rid of the login screen entirely and just allowing anonymous browsing. Originally, I wanted to drive user signups, but that doesn't seem to be the issue (truthfully). Other things I'm thinking of include adding a general search bar.

Thanks for all this. Will work to improve it!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:38 am

General search bar would go a long way. Allowing for search by law school, gpa, firm name. Please include a URM option also. Love the idea, btw.

codeandcodes

New

Postby codeandcodes » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:22 am

Ok, you guys asked so I delivered (to be fair, I was already working on these features over the weekend). I've removed the landing page and added a general search bar. Let me know what you think!

Thanks again and hope the site is helpful to you all.

JenDarby

Diamond

Postby JenDarby » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:51 am

This is an excellent idea and the updates are a big improvement. It's awesome that you are both open to and actually taking feedback.

gaddockteeg

Bronze

Postby gaddockteeg » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:59 am

How do I add a firm if I want to contribute my job/interview data?

codeandcodes

New

Postby codeandcodes » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:26 pm

If you log in on the main page there's "Add job data". If you don't see your firm(s) send me a PM and I can add it!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:03 pm

codeandcodes wrote:If you log in on the main page there's "Add job data". If you don't see your firm(s) send me a PM and I can add it!

That's kind of a hasssle, no?

Ive got at least 10+ firms that aren't in the v100 and I'm trying to help you and others out by adding in this data. but not if i have to message you to add stuff all the time. At the very least, you could include all the NLJ350 and amlaw 200 firms?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
codeandcodes wrote:If you log in on the main page there's "Add job data". If you don't see your firm(s) send me a PM and I can add it!

That's kind of a hasssle, no?

Ive got at least 10+ firms that aren't in the v100 and I'm trying to help you and others out by adding in this data. but not if i have to message you to add stuff all the time. At the very least, you could include all the NLJ350 and amlaw 200 firms?

Yes I agree with you. My goal was to remove the possibility of duplicate firms being entered and start with a subset that works for most people seeking biglaw. That said thanks for your feedback and I'll add more shortly.

Return to “Legal Employment�