Interviewing tips for socially awkward

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Frayed Knot

New

Re: Interviewing tips for socially awkward

Postby Frayed Knot » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:52 pm

Bluem_11 wrote:In my firm life we sometimes categorize people into schmoozers or grinders. Not everyone is built to be a recruiter, or wine and dine clients, or go to conferences. Some lawyers are introverted research & writing office grinders. Make yourself seem like a great fit for the latter!

I'm not saying it's the perfect strategy, but it would be persuasive to me as an interviewer.

Also, without going too far OT, I want to add that I would be very cautious as getting typecast as a "grinder" in this sense at most firms. I think in most places, that road leads to working hard, only to be pushed out without great exit options—or, at best, to an of counsel position. For the best exit options/partnership prospects (though that's not likely for anyone), my understanding is that firms reward those who can present the complete package.

This isn't to say that you need to become some sort of extroverted master networker, capable of working the crowd at a cocktail party and emerging with three new best friends. But even if you're on the introverted/research & writing side of the spectrum (as I tend to be) you need to find a way to sell yourself a bit. That may be through developing a subject matter expertise, publishing, or presenting at CLR/bar meetings—plenty of introverted options, especially as more and more business these days comes from pitch meetings than from golf-course networking. But I would caution against falling into the role of someone who grinds out work without playing a role in bringing more work in.

All that is a little off topic; the first objective is to get a job; you can worry about your reputation within the firm once you're employed. This thread has some good advice on interviewing; I second (most of) what others have said above.

Return to “Legal Employment?