What the hell is going on

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

How many CBs have you gotten so far?

8%
4%
7%
6%
4+
75%

Total votes: 213

Anonymous User

Re: What the hell is going on

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:38 am

TheoO wrote:Grades? What range t14? And mm'ing won't result in immediate callbacks. Unless you get a rejection, the firms will hold off until they know their class needs. Hang in there and keep mailing.

T10, transfer, but was top 5% at TT.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:53 am

Im at Berkeley, [transferred in], and have 0 callbacks, and pretty sure callbacks are 98% done by now.

This thread has honestly made me nervous as shit. People at Harvard are striking out -- what the hell. Is it just a bloodbath this season? Also, starting to seriously question my decision to transfer if I do strike out

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:57 am

same anon as above.

There should be a rule that no one can schedule more than 8 callbacks or something like that. Some people are flush, others have nothing.

Johann

Diamond

Postby Johann » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:same anon as above.

There should be a rule that no one can schedule more than 8 callbacks or something like that. Some people are flush, others have nothing.

should have voted for bernie

my take is its still very early and there is lots of time for this to unfold. recruiting season will still be going strong in late september imo.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:Im at Berkeley, [transferred in], and have 0 callbacks, and pretty sure callbacks are 98% done by now.

This thread has honestly made me nervous as shit. People at Harvard are striking out -- what the hell. Is it just a bloodbath this season? Also, starting to seriously question my decision to transfer if I do strike out

Harvard is a fucking shitshow this year. Look at the eip thread. A ton of ppl I know are scrambling with one cb or less in nyc with the week basically over.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:25 am

JohannDeMann wrote:

should have voted for bernie

my take is its still very early and there is lots of time for this to unfold. recruiting season will still be going strong in late september imo.

I really hope this is right and the process is just more stretched out than past years due to the pre-OCI hiring. Out of 26 firms, I have yet to hear anything from at all from 13.

Redfactor

Bronze

Postby Redfactor » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:37 am

Sorry to hear about this.

Wishing everyone the best during this stressful time.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:30 am

I have more than 8 callbacks and honestly I've gotten conflicting advice. I'm tempted to drop and focus on the firms I'm more interested in, but then others are telling me its silly to drop until you have a hard offer.

lavarman84

Platinum

Postby lavarman84 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:

I have more than 8 callbacks and honestly I've gotten conflicting advice. I'm tempted to drop and focus on the firms I'm more interested in, but then others are telling me its silly to drop until you have a hard offer.

Yea, get an offer first before you drop callbacks. But once you have one, you can drop the callbacks you're not that interested in.

El Pollito

Diamond

Postby El Pollito » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:

people have struck out w more callbacks (though it's not likely)

Br3v

Gold

Postby Br3v » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:48 am

Everyone stay calm. This OCI season might play out longer for many of you, but your peers can't accept 8 offers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:01 am

For summer 2016 we saw lot of the V50 firms took a large amount of 1Ls which I think translates into some 1Ls holding onto offers pre-OCI and the firms waiting on them to accept/deny before moving forward. For example, I know that Skadden NYC and Hogan DC increased their 1L class (Hogan went into double digit 1Ls for the first time). I also agree that it could be many of the other reasons discussed above.

Good luck everyone and stay strong!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:17 am

For what it's worth, my firm (NYC) is actually expanding the summer class, so if there is some systemic tightening of belts happening due to $180k or whatever else, it isn't universal.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:22 am

My lower v100 NYC firm has a much weaker appetite for summers right now, especially for non NYC offices but also in general. 180k definitely a factor along with other financial concerns. We have also been hiring 3Ls or candidates who got here less traditional ways. Good luck kids.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:37 am

Will trade soul for 2L SA.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Don't drop anything until you get an offer.

Once you get an offer, feel free to drop away (but don't feel as though you owe anyone - you should only drop CBs with firms that you are sure you wouldn't go to over your best offer. On the other hand, if you are sure you wouldn't take an offer from a particular firm, you definitely should drop that CB fast).

Nebby

Diamond

Postby Nebby » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Nebby wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:-Maybe this was the class that got into law school with the lowest LSAT, GPA average, work-experience, personality in the last decade and are therefore not desirable to law firms in general. Maybe schools are finally paying for their blind acceptances purely based on numbers.

is this true?

I don't think so but obviously this anon has other personal issues to work out

Think what you want, this is as low LSAT/GPA numbers have been in years. Student quality has correspondingly fell over that time. Not so dramatically in the T14 necessarily, but significantly in lower ranked schools.

Even look at T14 GULC as an example.
http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/gulc/2015/

They've let in every warm body with a 167+ this past year. To compensate, they've shored up the class with a slightly higher GPA median. Personally I've seen people admitted from barely accredited undergraduate institutions that give out A+'s like candy.

When 95% of admissions so acutely is based off a 100 question test and inflated GPAs from poppycock institutions, you're gonna get plenty of bad apples no self-respecting law firm is going to pay $180,000 to.

Are you even a law student? Do you practice? Ask any practicing attorney and they'll tell you that there are many things that can determine someone's quality as an attorney--and UG GPA & LSAT are not one of those things

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:Im at Berkeley, [transferred in], and have 0 callbacks, and pretty sure callbacks are 98% done by now.

I transferred to a T14 and gave up a huge scholarship. I only got 1 CB. I'm just mass mailing midlaw firms and biglaw firms I didn't interview with. Good luck, anon.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:42 am

Very happy with Fordham experience. I know people say T14 or bust, but a huge number of Fordham students (even those outside of top 1/3 and Law Review) seemed to be getting callbacks and offers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:46 am

Maybe it's feast or famine? I'm barely above median at my t14, straight through, male, not URM, with 16 callbacks (2/4 DC screeners). All my friends have done as well or better.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:Very happy with Fordham experience. I know people say T14 or bust, but a huge number of Fordham students (even those outside of top 1/3 and Law Review) seemed to be getting callbacks and offers.

Hey, I'm happy to hear that. It's nice to hear some good news amongst the madness, and it's a good reminder that T14 isn't a sure bet.

@all, don't give up or panic. I'm guilty of going full-neurotic at times like this, but just focus on what you can control (e.g., prepping for the interviews you have, mass-mailing) and keep your heads up. You're all great.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Very happy with Fordham experience. I know people say T14 or bust, but a huge number of Fordham students (even those outside of top 1/3 and Law Review) seemed to be getting callbacks and offers.

Hey, I'm happy to hear that. It's nice to hear some good news amongst the madness, and it's a good reminder that T14 isn't a sure bet.

@all, don't give up or panic. I'm guilty of going full-neurotic at times like this, but just focus on what you can control (e.g., prepping for the interviews you have, mass-mailing) and keep your heads up. You're all great.

You're a good person, the positivity is definitely needed around here.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:Maybe it's feast or famine? I'm barely above median at my t14, straight through, male, not URM, with 16 callbacks (2/4 DC screeners). All my friends have done as well or better.

"I am male and white and have 16 callbacks yay"

was it really necessary to say that?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:52 am

I was talking to a V30 partner at a CCN reception and he was talking about how the T14 or bust is BS and how he and his firm are increasingly looking for driven, ambitious students from other schools. He actually referred to Fordham specifically.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Maybe it's feast or famine? I'm barely above median at my t14, straight through, male, not URM, with 16 callbacks (2/4 DC screeners). All my friends have done as well or better.

"I am male and white and have 16 callbacks yay"

was it really necessary to say that?

Sorry, just thought it might be a useful counterpoint to the hysteria. Multiple interviewers have told me they are growing their summer classes.

Return to “Legal Employment?