What the hell is going on

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

How many CBs have you gotten so far?

0
18
8%
1
9
4%
2
15
7%
3
12
6%
4+
159
75%
 
Total votes: 213

Anonymous User
Posts: 325755
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What the hell is going on

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:04 pm

So, I really feel like this thread's basic point holds true for a few firms. Know of at least 3 V20 firms that filled up a large % of their classes (as in pre-OCI offers, with acceptances) before OCI. I think a lot of this boils down to us @ OCI not really knowing which firm is which ...

Anonymous User
Posts: 325755
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What the hell is going on

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:35 pm

Did the poll here kind of destroy the premise of this thread? Or are these (seemingly strong) results worse than prior years?

rwhyAn

Bronze
Posts: 323
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:09 pm

Re: What the hell is going on

Postby rwhyAn » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did the poll here kind of destroy the premise of this thread? Or are these (seemingly strong) results worse than prior years?


I would venture to guess that the poll results aren't accurate due to the self-selective nature of the poll. According to TLS polls, there is a disproportionately high number of 170+ LSATs, $160K starting salaries, OCI callbacks, etc.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29314
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: What the hell is going on

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:35 pm

The reports about not getting callbacks are also entirely self-selective. There really aren't any statistical conclusions that can be drawn here.

iteachtenthgrade

Bronze
Posts: 135
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:42 pm

Re: What the hell is going on

Postby iteachtenthgrade » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:41 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:The reports about not getting callbacks are also entirely self-selective. There really aren't any statistical conclusions that can be drawn here.


+1

All law schools should require an intro stats class, clearly. :roll:

dixiecupdrinking

Gold
Posts: 3440
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: What the hell is going on

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:54 pm

rwhyAn wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Did the poll here kind of destroy the premise of this thread? Or are these (seemingly strong) results worse than prior years?


I would venture to guess that the poll results aren't accurate due to the self-selective nature of the poll. According to TLS polls, there is a disproportionately high number of 170+ LSATs, $160K starting salaries, OCI callbacks, etc.

Also I graduated years ago but voted just to fuck with people.

Startled Rabbit

New
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed May 25, 2016 3:37 am

Re: What the hell is going on

Postby Startled Rabbit » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:02 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
rwhyAn wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Did the poll here kind of destroy the premise of this thread? Or are these (seemingly strong) results worse than prior years?


I would venture to guess that the poll results aren't accurate due to the self-selective nature of the poll. According to TLS polls, there is a disproportionately high number of 170+ LSATs, $160K starting salaries, OCI callbacks, etc.

Also I graduated years ago but voted just to fuck with people.


:D :lol: :lol:

Anonymous User
Posts: 325755
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What the hell is going on

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:11 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/18/busin ... ctice.html

Nobody here is imagining anything. This is a real thing.

Anonymous User
Posts: 325755
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What the hell is going on

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/18/business/dealbook/2015-law-school-graduates-got-fewer-jobs-in-private-practice.html

Nobody here is imagining anything. This is a real thing.


Huh? The numbers over the last 2 years are exactly the same.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold
Posts: 3440
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: What the hell is going on

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/18/business/dealbook/2015-law-school-graduates-got-fewer-jobs-in-private-practice.html

Nobody here is imagining anything. This is a real thing.


Huh? The numbers over the last 2 years are exactly the same.

Also, the class of 2015 did OCI three years ago.

Anonymous User
Posts: 325755
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What the hell is going on

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:30 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/18/business/dealbook/2015-law-school-graduates-got-fewer-jobs-in-private-practice.html

Nobody here is imagining anything. This is a real thing.


Huh? The numbers over the last 2 years are exactly the same.

Also, the class of 2015 did OCI three years ago.


Really? Damn, that thought never occurred to me :roll:

I was just pointing that it is indicative of a trend.

Anonymous User
Posts: 325755
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What the hell is going on

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/18/business/dealbook/2015-law-school-graduates-got-fewer-jobs-in-private-practice.html

Nobody here is imagining anything. This is a real thing.


Huh? The numbers over the last 2 years are exactly the same.

Also, the class of 2015 did OCI three years ago.


Really? Damn, that thought never occurred to me :roll:

I was just pointing that it is indicative of a trend.


Also, raw numbers are irrelevant. Yes there are less legal jobs, but law school enrollment is down. All that matters is the % of graduates employed in private practice. there is no evidence to support that % is being drastically reduced this year

Anonymous User
Posts: 325755
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What the hell is going on

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/18/business/dealbook/2015-law-school-graduates-got-fewer-jobs-in-private-practice.html

Nobody here is imagining anything. This is a real thing.


Huh? The numbers over the last 2 years are exactly the same.

Also, the class of 2015 did OCI three years ago.


Really? Damn, that thought never occurred to me :roll:

I was just pointing that it is indicative of a trend.


Actually no, it's not indicative of the trend you are advocating for.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold
Posts: 3440
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: What the hell is going on

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/18/business/dealbook/2015-law-school-graduates-got-fewer-jobs-in-private-practice.html

Nobody here is imagining anything. This is a real thing.


Huh? The numbers over the last 2 years are exactly the same.

Also, the class of 2015 did OCI three years ago.


Really? Damn, that thought never occurred to me :roll:

I was just pointing that it is indicative of a trend.

Please enlighten me as to the relevance of the class of 2015 employment statistics with respect to whether or not hiring is down for summer associates in 2017.

bk1

Diamond
Posts: 20072
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: What the hell is going on

Postby bk1 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:52 pm

Not only that, the article explicitly states that large firms have generally gained jobs over the past 4 years:

The largest employers recently have been large law firms with 500 or more lawyers. The big firms added more than 1,000 jobs over the last four years, while every other job category lost positions. But those new positions offset the loss of law jobs since 2009, as the recession’s effects began to spread across the legal world.

Anonymous User
Posts: 325755
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What the hell is going on

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:30 am

is it just me, or do others (with multiple CBs), sometimes give choppy answers in interviews? Such as not being able to find the right words sometimes, or not being able to concisely articulate a thought? Is this the reason I have 1 CB?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 325755
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What the hell is going on

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:30 am

same as above. accidental double post

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29314
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: What the hell is going on

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:is it just me, or do others (with multiple CBs), sometimes give choppy answers in interviews? Such as not being able to find the right words sometimes, or not being able to concisely articulate a thought? Is this the reason I have 1 CB?

No one is going to be able to tell you why you have one callback without a lot more information, some of which you probably don't want to give and some of which you probably don't know (because it's about the firm's needs and your competition and you won't have access to that info). All else being equal, though, yes, it's better to be able to concisely articulate a thought and find the right words than not. (More seriously - maybe try pausing to think about your answer before launching into it? A pause followed by a smooth answer often comes across better than starting to answer right away and getting hung up on something because you've haven't quite thought through what you're going to say.)

Anonymous User
Posts: 325755
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What the hell is going on

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:52 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:is it just me, or do others (with multiple CBs), sometimes give choppy answers in interviews? Such as not being able to find the right words sometimes, or not being able to concisely articulate a thought? Is this the reason I have 1 CB?

No one is going to be able to tell you why you have one callback without a lot more information, some of which you probably don't want to give and some of which you probably don't know (because it's about the firm's needs and your competition and you won't have access to that info). All else being equal, though, yes, it's better to be able to concisely articulate a thought and find the right words than not. (More seriously - maybe try pausing to think about your answer before launching into it? A pause followed by a smooth answer often comes across better than starting to answer right away and getting hung up on something because you've haven't quite thought through what you're going to say.)


OP here. Agree.

Anonymous User
Posts: 325755
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What the hell is going on

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:56 am

At a lower T-14. Below median. Probably around 35-40th percentile.

21 screeners. 15 callbacks. Attended 10 interviews. 8 offers from V-50s (waiting on 2 more).

This is why TLS keeps stressing the importance of going to a T-14. So to rebut the earlier poster who thought firms prefer strong regionals over T-14.

Anonymous User
Posts: 325755
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What the hell is going on

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:At a lower T-14. Below median. Probably around 35-40th percentile.

21 screeners. 15 callbacks. Attended 10 interviews. 8 offers from V-50s (waiting on 2 more).

This is why TLS keeps stressing the importance of going to a T-14. So to rebut the earlier poster who thought firms prefer strong regionals over T-14.


Compelling anecdata

Winter is Coming

Bronze
Posts: 404
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:51 am

Re: What the hell is going on

Postby Winter is Coming » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/18/business/dealbook/2015-law-school-graduates-got-fewer-jobs-in-private-practice.html

Nobody here is imagining anything. This is a real thing.


Just want to make abundantly clear for people who don't read this: this old, kind of dumb article specifically says big law hiring is up (several years ago).

I understand everyone is nervous, but this thread has some of the most panicky interpretation of anecdotes, random irrelevant stats, and extrapolations of their own individual experience that I've seen in a long time on TLS.

Minnietron

Silver
Posts: 759
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:28 am

Re: What the hell is going on

Postby Minnietron » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Will trade soul for 2L SA.


+1

Just applied for an Atlanta SA.. Never been there, never want to go there.

Don't worry. They will pick up on this and make sure not to give you and offer! :lol:

Anonymous User
Posts: 325755
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What the hell is going on

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:25 pm

Applied for a SA with a local secondary market firm about 2 months ago. They do one big interview day for all applicants.

Never even heard back from the firm, noticed the interview day passed and I never was contacted. I contacted the recruiter, he says, ''I am so sorry, I totally forgot about your application''

Ok

Anonymous User
Posts: 325755
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What the hell is going on

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:39 pm

Top 25% at CCN, Secondary Journal, Decent interviewer (I think).

Did 35 screeners. One CB.



Return to “Legal Employment?

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.