What the hell is going on

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

How many CBs have you gotten so far?

8%
4%
7%
6%
4+
75%

Total votes: 213

Anonymous User

Re: What the hell is going on

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:04 pm

So, I really feel like this thread's basic point holds true for a few firms. Know of at least 3 V20 firms that filled up a large % of their classes (as in pre-OCI offers, with acceptances) before OCI. I think a lot of this boils down to us @ OCI not really knowing which firm is which ...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:35 pm

Did the poll here kind of destroy the premise of this thread? Or are these (seemingly strong) results worse than prior years?

rwhyAn

Bronze

Postby rwhyAn » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did the poll here kind of destroy the premise of this thread? Or are these (seemingly strong) results worse than prior years?

I would venture to guess that the poll results aren't accurate due to the self-selective nature of the poll. According to TLS polls, there is a disproportionately high number of 170+ LSATs, $160K starting salaries, OCI callbacks, etc.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:35 pm

The reports about not getting callbacks are also entirely self-selective. There really aren't any statistical conclusions that can be drawn here.

iteachtenthgrade

Bronze

Postby iteachtenthgrade » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:41 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:The reports about not getting callbacks are also entirely self-selective. There really aren't any statistical conclusions that can be drawn here.

+1

All law schools should require an intro stats class, clearly. :roll:

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:54 pm

rwhyAn wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Did the poll here kind of destroy the premise of this thread? Or are these (seemingly strong) results worse than prior years?

I would venture to guess that the poll results aren't accurate due to the self-selective nature of the poll. According to TLS polls, there is a disproportionately high number of 170+ LSATs, $160K starting salaries, OCI callbacks, etc.

Also I graduated years ago but voted just to fuck with people.

Startled Rabbit

New

Postby Startled Rabbit » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:02 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
rwhyAn wrote:

Also I graduated years ago but voted just to fuck with people.

:D :lol: :lol:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:11 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/18/busin ... ctice.html

Nobody here is imagining anything. This is a real thing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/18/business/dealbook/2015-law-school-graduates-got-fewer-jobs-in-private-practice.html

Huh? The numbers over the last 2 years are exactly the same.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/18/business/dealbook/2015-law-school-graduates-got-fewer-jobs-in-private-practice.html

Also, the class of 2015 did OCI three years ago.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:30 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Really? Damn, that thought never occurred to me :roll:

I was just pointing that it is indicative of a trend.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Also, raw numbers are irrelevant. Yes there are less legal jobs, but law school enrollment is down. All that matters is the % of graduates employed in private practice. there is no evidence to support that % is being drastically reduced this year

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Actually no, it's not indicative of the trend you are advocating for.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Please enlighten me as to the relevance of the class of 2015 employment statistics with respect to whether or not hiring is down for summer associates in 2017.

bk1

Diamond

Postby bk1 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:52 pm

Not only that, the article explicitly states that large firms have generally gained jobs over the past 4 years:

The largest employers recently have been large law firms with 500 or more lawyers. The big firms added more than 1,000 jobs over the last four years, while every other job category lost positions. But those new positions offset the loss of law jobs since 2009, as the recession’s effects began to spread across the legal world.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:30 am

is it just me, or do others (with multiple CBs), sometimes give choppy answers in interviews? Such as not being able to find the right words sometimes, or not being able to concisely articulate a thought? Is this the reason I have 1 CB?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:30 am

same as above. accidental double post

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:is it just me, or do others (with multiple CBs), sometimes give choppy answers in interviews? Such as not being able to find the right words sometimes, or not being able to concisely articulate a thought? Is this the reason I have 1 CB?

No one is going to be able to tell you why you have one callback without a lot more information, some of which you probably don't want to give and some of which you probably don't know (because it's about the firm's needs and your competition and you won't have access to that info). All else being equal, though, yes, it's better to be able to concisely articulate a thought and find the right words than not. (More seriously - maybe try pausing to think about your answer before launching into it? A pause followed by a smooth answer often comes across better than starting to answer right away and getting hung up on something because you've haven't quite thought through what you're going to say.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:52 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:is it just me, or do others (with multiple CBs), sometimes give choppy answers in interviews? Such as not being able to find the right words sometimes, or not being able to concisely articulate a thought? Is this the reason I have 1 CB?

No one is going to be able to tell you why you have one callback without a lot more information, some of which you probably don't want to give and some of which you probably don't know (because it's about the firm's needs and your competition and you won't have access to that info). All else being equal, though, yes, it's better to be able to concisely articulate a thought and find the right words than not. (More seriously - maybe try pausing to think about your answer before launching into it? A pause followed by a smooth answer often comes across better than starting to answer right away and getting hung up on something because you've haven't quite thought through what you're going to say.)

OP here. Agree.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:56 am

At a lower T-14. Below median. Probably around 35-40th percentile.

21 screeners. 15 callbacks. Attended 10 interviews. 8 offers from V-50s (waiting on 2 more).

This is why TLS keeps stressing the importance of going to a T-14. So to rebut the earlier poster who thought firms prefer strong regionals over T-14.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:At a lower T-14. Below median. Probably around 35-40th percentile.

21 screeners. 15 callbacks. Attended 10 interviews. 8 offers from V-50s (waiting on 2 more).

This is why TLS keeps stressing the importance of going to a T-14. So to rebut the earlier poster who thought firms prefer strong regionals over T-14.

Compelling anecdata

Winter is Coming

Bronze

Postby Winter is Coming » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:04 am

Just want to make abundantly clear for people who don't read this: this old, kind of dumb article specifically says big law hiring is up (several years ago).

I understand everyone is nervous, but this thread has some of the most panicky interpretation of anecdotes, random irrelevant stats, and extrapolations of their own individual experience that I've seen in a long time on TLS.

Minnietron

Silver

Postby Minnietron » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Will trade soul for 2L SA.

+1

Just applied for an Atlanta SA.. Never been there, never want to go there.

Don't worry. They will pick up on this and make sure not to give you and offer! :lol:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:25 pm

Applied for a SA with a local secondary market firm about 2 months ago. They do one big interview day for all applicants.

Never even heard back from the firm, noticed the interview day passed and I never was contacted. I contacted the recruiter, he says, ''I am so sorry, I totally forgot about your application''

Ok

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:39 pm

Top 25% at CCN, Secondary Journal, Decent interviewer (I think).

Did 35 screeners. One CB.

Return to “Legal Employment?