What the hell is going on

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

How many CBs have you gotten so far?

8%
4%
7%
6%
4+
75%

Total votes: 213

bk1

Diamond

Re: What the hell is going on

Postby bk1 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:20 pm

jbagelboy wrote:I know normals with above median grades at T14s that are struggling (not entirely striking out though)

It's August. Nobody has struck out yet.

FSK

Platinum

Postby FSK » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:25 pm

I got one offer from 10 callbacks, but I'm an aspie. 2014 OCI.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:28 pm

It definitely seems feast or famine in SoCal. But class sizes out here are already super small in compared to NY/DC, so the amount of pre-OCI offers definitely seems like it would influence how many firms are giving CBs right now. Hopefully everyone sitting on offers will pick soon and firms will start reaching out to the next wave of people.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:05 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What's with all this trash talking about aspies and people with autism? I know aspie lawyers who have managed hardships without blaming others. Stop calling people autistic when you meant to call them dumb and irresponsible, thank you.

I literally meant autistic. As in, actual autism is costing you callbacks.

I know normals with above median grades at T14s that are struggling (not entirely striking out though)

I know there's a lot of luck in the process. There has to be if a dork with shitty grades like me can get a Biglaw job (and at a firm I like, nonetheless). Sometimes you don't click, sometimes you have a bad run.

But a lot of people seem to be unaware that they're autistic, or perhaps more commonly, criminally boring to the extent that the interviewer doesn't want to see five more minutes of them, let alone five years.

FascinatedWanderer

Bronze

Postby FascinatedWanderer » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:16 pm

Is there any actual evidence that this season was unusually tough? (Besides random people on this board freaking out?)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:32 pm

I just received a callback. NYC V60.

Thought it would never happen. Friday afternoon via phone call. [a full week after OCI ended here at my T10]

Late callback, dont lose hope

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is there any actual evidence that this season was unusually tough? (Besides random people on this board freaking out?)

I am a callback interviewer at a V50. We have more SA spots than last year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is there any actual evidence that this season was unusually tough? (Besides random people on this board freaking out?)

I am a callback interviewer at a V50. We have more SA spots than last year.

Even for the Greeks?

arock111

New

Postby arock111 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:41 pm

:(
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:if you're at or below median:

did you network? I mean, did you REALLY network? like were attorneys at the firm writing letters to recruiters on your behalf? If not, that's a huge misstep

were your interviews question and answer style? did you think you crushed those questions? nice, but it doesn't matter because if you let it get to the point of question-and-answer, there is likely no recovering. it's a conversation - BOTH SIDES should be relaxed and laughing throughout

there are just some basic things that people overlook. according to my CCN career services, this is far from a strange year. lots of CBs all around.

You are an insufferable asshole. For example I'm
Below median at uva/penn who spent the summer in DC. Networked all summer, met with partners from over 30 firms for either lunch or dinner. Had 4 pre oci callbacks and an offer. Had a ton of screeners at oci, only 2 callbacks both in nyc. So even the people who actually had followed your advice were in a tougher spot this year with # of cbs than previously.

Blue0613

New

Postby Blue0613 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:55 pm

Last edited by Blue0613 on Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nebby

Diamond

Postby Nebby » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This guy is awful, but not quite as bad as the token minority student at median who thinks he/she has so may offers because of his/her self-professed stunning personality... Cravath NYC/ Covington DC seems to love median with a self-described great personality...

It's a shitty thing to say, but sometimes the truth is shitty... Top 25% joint degrees lose to diverse median almost every time...

I understand you're probably upset because of your current situation, but literally making up statistics or blaming other people is not going to help you solve this predicament

mvp99

Silver

Postby mvp99 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This guy is awful, but not quite as bad as the token minority student at median who thinks he/she has so may offers because of his/her self-professed stunning personality... Cravath NYC/ Covington DC seems to love median with a self-described great personality...

It's a shitty thing to say, but sometimes the truth is shitty... Top 25% joint degrees lose to diverse median almost every time...

no need to hide, anon

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:07 pm

Just got another call from a firm saying sorry they are slow, and they will be in touch. Optimism!!

WeeBey

Silver

Postby WeeBey » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:20 pm

I hope that Top 25% joint degree doesnt come off like that.

stoopkid13

Bronze

Postby stoopkid13 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got another call from a firm saying sorry they are slow, and they will be in touch. Optimism!!

I actually wouldn't be surprised if hiring isn't more competitive, it's just on a longer timeline. Almost all of the firms I have looked at on NALP are expanding their summer classes. Once people start accepting, firms will extend interviews down the list.

It's like trickle down OCI.

runinthefront

Gold

Postby runinthefront » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:02 am

You shouldn't have expected an offer from Covington DC with those grades, anyway.

Also, the median URM is almost certainly the reason why your grades + resume combo arent nailing you callbacks, considering the firms you mentioned are overwhelmingly white

Just be real with yourself

CheddarArachnid

New

Postby CheddarArachnid » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:50 am

Lol. From what the hell is going on to its your fault. The TLS mob has turned!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:59 am

Tippy-top grades at CLS: I got 18 of 22 CBs from OCI and an 4/5 so far on converting CBs to offers (2 of these were pre-OCI). All my friends I talked to are doing similarly well (don't know their grades but I think they're all pretty smart)

El Pollito

Diamond

Postby El Pollito » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:Tippy-top grades at CLS: I got 18 of 22 CBs from OCI and an 4/5 so far on converting CBs to offers (2 of these were pre-OCI). All my friends I talked to are doing similarly well (don't know their grades but I think they're all pretty smart)

Do you have a horse cock too?

jbagelboy

Diamond

Postby jbagelboy » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:Lol. From what the hell is going on to its your fault. The TLS mob has turned!

fuck the mob

you're all a bunch of noisome rats. ANON posters on a law school message board bragging about their OCI success to enlighten their peers as to full pathetic extent of their struggle to secure gainful employment--or worse, to trash their personalities and further chasten their already dangerously deflated self-esteems. Because that's not important in what functionally amounts to corporate image-driven speed dating. As if you needed to sap just a little more ego out of the world.

fuck law students

eyeofvigilence

Bronze

Postby eyeofvigilence » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:11 am

jbagelboy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Lol. From what the hell is going on to its your fault. The TLS mob has turned!

fuck the mob

you're all a bunch of noisome rats. ANON posters on a law school message board bragging about their OCI success to enlighten their peers as to full pathetic extent of their struggle to secure gainful employment--or worse, to trash their personalities and further chasten their already dangerously deflated self-esteems. Because that's not important in what functionally amounts to corporate image-driven speed dating. As if you needed to sap just a little more ego out of the world.

fuck law students

. . . crickets . . . crickets . . . crickets . . .
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

eyeofvigilence

Bronze

Postby eyeofvigilence » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:Tippy-top grades at CLS: I got 18 of 22 CBs from OCI and an 4/5 so far on converting CBs to offers (2 of these were pre-OCI). All my friends I talked to are doing similarly well (don't know their grades but I think they're all pretty smart)

Why are you posting here?

Sdowling

New

Postby Sdowling » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:16 am

Come on buddy, I'm sure if you really applied yourself you could dig your own grave a little deeper than this for being absolutely intolerable. There's always a lower rock bottom to scrape.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Why are you posting here?

Sorry, I thought we were debating whether there was a change in OCI this year? My experience and the experience of my friends has been good. Frankly I'm confused by the Yale and Harvard people on here getting nothing

Return to “Legal Employment?