What the hell is going on Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

How many CBs have you gotten so far?

8%
4%
7%
6%
4+
75%

Total votes: 213

Anonymous User

Re: What the hell is going on

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:Maybe it's feast or famine? I'm barely above median at my t14, straight through, male, not URM, with 16 callbacks (2/4 DC screeners). All my friends have done as well or better.
lol, mentioning the words "barely above median" and "male" and "white" as if being an above-average white male is some kind of disadvantage and you got 16 callbacks despite this 'disadvantage', good for you

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Very happy with Fordham experience. I know people say T14 or bust, but a huge number of Fordham students (even those outside of top 1/3 and Law Review) seemed to be getting callbacks and offers.
I was talking to a V30 partner at a CCN reception and he was talking about how the T14 or bust is BS and how he and his firm are increasingly looking for driven, ambitious students from other schools. He actually referred to Fordham specifically.
That is really going to throw a wrench into the TLS mindset haha.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Very happy with Fordham experience. I know people say T14 or bust, but a huge number of Fordham students (even those outside of top 1/3 and Law Review) seemed to be getting callbacks and offers.
I was talking to a V30 partner at a CCN reception and he was talking about how the T14 or bust is BS and how he and his firm are increasingly looking for driven, ambitious students from other schools. He actually referred to Fordham specifically.
No it's not because no one thinks it's tls or bust (unless you're talking about the anon 0Ls who give advice--like half this thread)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
CCN anon: agreed. I don't think it's new that NY firms look for top students at Fordham, Brooklyn, and other NY schools. It's more that personal qualities are mattering more and more and the school/grades combo less so. Interestingly, he said the best predictor of law firm success is SAT scores, probably because they proxy how inherently hardworking a person is. It's easy to get a twenty something to cram for the LSAT or law school exams. It's harder to get a 15 year old to cram for the SAT. Also said asking work-life questions raises red flags.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:07 am

Almost everyone at Chicago seems to be getting at least one or two callbacks, some are getting several. We still have three more days of screeners. A few people have nothing so far. A lot of skepticism from New York firms about whether we will actually be interested in New York. A lot of them got burned last year (maybe because Chicago hiring picked up unexpectedly).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
CCN anon: agreed. I don't think it's new that NY firms look for top students at Fordham, Brooklyn, and other NY schools. It's more that personal qualities are mattering more and more and the school/grades combo less so. Interestingly, he said the best predictor of law firm success is SAT scores, probably because they proxy how inherently hardworking a person is. It's easy to get a twenty something to cram for the LSAT or law school exams. It's harder to get a 15 year old to cram for the SAT. Also said asking work-life questions raises red flags.
That is a disgusting statement. 15 year olds are largely at the mercy of their parents and the resources their parents have. I did not even know that people studied for the SAT because none of my (largely poor) friends studied for the SAT. That guy is an asshole, like many V30 partners.

I got a 1480 on the (old) SAT and a 34 on the ACT with no prep so this is not bitterness talking.

(Anon so I'm not bragging about my SAT)

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Lol. How do such turds become partners, or is that a prerequisite I wonder.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:Will trade soul for 2L SA.
Haha same here, my friend.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Maybe it's feast or famine? I'm barely above median at my t14, straight through, male, not URM, with 16 callbacks (2/4 DC screeners). All my friends have done as well or better.
lol, mentioning the words "barely above median" and "male" and "white" as if being an above-average white male is some kind of disadvantage and you got 16 callbacks despite this 'disadvantage', good for you
Firms are targeting URMs and women because they are image-conscious and their partnerdoms are overwhelmingly white male. I really don't think median white guys are a hot commodity right now (unless it's bro culture).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DELG

Gold

Post by DELG » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Firms are targeting URMs and women because they are image-conscious and their partnerdoms are overwhelmingly white male. I really don't think median white guys are a hot commodity right now (unless it's bro culture).
LOL. Don't confuse the public gnashing of teeth with an actual willingness to overcome their baises and hire affirmative action style.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
LOL multiple interviewers have explicitly compared me with their wife...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:34 am

Everyone just keep in mind that it only takes one. I know multiple people that only got 1 cb and they ended up with an offer from 1 cb. I have a good feeling that some of you guys will get calls today.

Mr. nobody

New

Post by Mr. nobody » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

White's still have a huge advantage over Asians, indians and immigrants. Which is a big chunk of the oci participation

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:40 am

Mr. nobody wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

White's still have a huge advantage over Asians, indians and immigrants. Which is a big chunk of the oci participation
I disagree with this. At least 1/2, if not 2/3, of my interviewers were Asian, Indian, or immigrants. I don't think I had an advantage over the Asian, Indian, or immigrant students they interviewed.

DELG

Gold

Post by DELG » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Interview tips as a woman:

Note how you got back to school quickly after your tube tie surgery, because you're driven to keep working.

Mention your wife, the elementary school teacher, keeps your life running smoothly.

Ask if you would be the only T in their LGBT contingent.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:41 am

Every tried and true "bro" at my t14 murdered oci. Anecdotes, but yeah.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:43 am

Well, as a second career law student who just did 23 screeners, only got 2 callbacks, it is more than just WM...I got a lot of frat/sorority feel and since I am not from that type background I felt like a few times the interviewers looked at me like I had two heads.

I think the diversity goals claimed by biglaw firms are at odds with their screening for fit. If you are a bro-dude or sorority gal who is interviewing for generic biglaw firm, you are going to fit with other bro-dudes and sorority gals. It is kind of the way of the world. You need to be URM but also upper middle class.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mr. nobody

New

Post by Mr. nobody » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mr. nobody wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I disagree with this. At least 1/2, if not 2/3, of my interviewers were Asian, Indian, or immigrants. I don't think I had an advantage over the Asian, Indian, or immigrant students they interviewed.
Most Asians and indians are uncle Chan's or uncle pradeeps who prefer white applicnsts. Especially Asians who have no sense of loyalty

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Did you get a CB?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:47 am

the bros have seemed to do well at my tx school too but i'm not surprised. i have had one female and female interview team and a bunch of all male teams where bro-ing down would have been very welcome.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:47 am

I feel like the speculation about affirmative action in hiring is getting unproductive and distracting from the point of this thread. Try to keep the focus elsewhere.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:47 am

Mr. nobody wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Mr. nobody wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Most Asians and indians are uncle Chan's or uncle pradeeps who prefer white applicnsts. Especially Asians who have no sense of loyalty
This thread is taking a nice turn

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:
I wouldn't use this anecdote as some sort of trend in NY firms hiring less out of T14. At the large NYC firm I summered at, various partners, especially the partners who came from non-T14 schools, emphasized the importance of school prestige. Fordham was mentioned at a number of lunches, but not in the positive light mentioned above.

There were even instances where a partner would specifically ask for a "top school" summer to go with him/her to a negotiation or whatever because the opposing firm was bringing a summer from a brand name school. I specifically remember a G-Town summer working with a partner on a deal for a month, only to have the said partner ask recruiting to grab another summer (and the recruiting dept. sent a feeler out for availability to summers at higher ranked schools) to go meet the opposing firm. This was the most extreme case I saw this summer... and I was surprised that even GTown didn't cut it for this partner.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:49 am

Anonymous User wrote: LOL multiple interviewers have explicitly compared me with their wife...
This cuts both ways. I've been compared with many husbands.

ETA: also compared with several wives based on my interest so mine may be more of a grain of salt type thing
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:51 am

I am of Asian descent.

There is no doubt in my mind, the bro act works... especially after I tell them I was in a non-ethnic fraternity. The body language and topic of conversation almost immediately change. If somehow I fail to bring on the bro act, they just assume I am another uptight Asian kid that only wants to talk about work and my credentials.

I had the same experiences during banking interviews in undergrad, even with non-white people.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Legal Employment”