What the hell is going on Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

How many CBs have you gotten so far?

8%
4%
7%
6%
4+
75%

Total votes: 213

Anonymous User

Re: What the hell is going on

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Top 25% at CCN, Secondary Journal, Decent interviewer (I think).

Did 35 screeners. One CB.
I don't think you're as good of an interviewer as you think if you have one CB from 35 screeners, esp. considering your grades

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:At a lower T-14. Below median. Probably around 35-40th percentile.

21 screeners. 15 callbacks. Attended 10 interviews. 8 offers from V-50s (waiting on 2 more).

This is why TLS keeps stressing the importance of going to a T-14. So to rebut the earlier poster who thought firms prefer strong regionals over T-14.
Compelling anecdata
I agree for the most part that attending a T-14 gives students an advantage, but I think it has more to do with the # of screeners you get, not the # of callbacks.

For example, I'm at a T-20 and there aren't many biglaw firms that come to campus for OCI. I've had to participate in off-campus programs, and even then I was only interested in about 15 firms that participated.

I bid on those 15, got 9 screeners (only top 1/3, no journal) and then 6 callbacks.

Whether or not you get a CB seems more dependent on how good of an interviewer you are, IMO, rather than what school you go to

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Top 25% at CCN, Secondary Journal, Decent interviewer (I think).

Damn brother. I'm at a T10 and only got 1 CB. In a way, nice to hear it's not only me... but I feel your pain.

Also, what are your next steps? mass mail? meet with career services?

tyrant_flycatcher

Bronze

Post by tyrant_flycatcher » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:At a lower T-14. Below median. Probably around 35-40th percentile.

21 screeners. 15 callbacks. Attended 10 interviews. 8 offers from V-50s (waiting on 2 more).

This is why TLS keeps stressing the importance of going to a T-14. So to rebut the earlier poster who thought firms prefer strong regionals over T-14.
Compelling anecdata
I agree for the most part that attending a T-14 gives students an advantage, but I think it has more to do with the # of screeners you get, not the # of callbacks.

For example, I'm at a T-20 and there aren't many biglaw firms that come to campus for OCI. I've had to participate in off-campus programs, and even then I was only interested in about 15 firms that participated.

I bid on those 15, got 9 screeners (only top 1/3, no journal) and then 6 callbacks.

Whether or not you get a CB seems more dependent on how good of an interviewer you are, IMO, rather than what school you go to
The more screeners you get, the more callbacks you get. It's as simple as that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:02 pm

tyrant_flycatcher wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Compelling anecdata

The more screeners you get, the more callbacks you get. It's as simple as that.
Same anon here. I agree with you, but I'm just saying that if someone at a T-14 cannot interview well, it's not going to matter how many screeners he has. At the end of the day, you only need 1 offer, so someone who's a good interviewer will do well even if he isn't at a T-14

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Applied for a SA with a local secondary market firm about 2 months ago. They do one big interview day for all applicants.

Never even heard back from the firm, noticed the interview day passed and I never was contacted. I contacted the recruiter, he says, ''I am so sorry, I totally forgot about your application''

Ok
It happens. People aren't perfect. This is why following up is generally a good idea.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Will trade soul for 2L SA.
+1

Just applied for an Atlanta SA.. Never been there, never want to go there.
Don't worry. They will pick up on this and make sure not to give you and offer! :lol:
Original anon- sold soul, now have SA

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:48 am

Funny enough, I got my fourth CB the day this poll went up, and I haven't gotten any more since.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Will trade soul for 2L SA.
+1

Just applied for an Atlanta SA.. Never been there, never want to go there.
Don't worry. They will pick up on this and make sure not to give you and offer! :lol:
One can hope. That was such a douchey comment.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I don't think you're as good of an interviewer as you think if you have one CB from 35 screeners, esp. considering your grades
I had no issue getting jobs pre-law school. And I don't think law firm interviews are all that different from most job interviews I've done.

I'm thinking ties to the market hurt me more than my interviewing skills, though I really thought my ties were good enough.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I had no issue getting jobs pre-law school. And I don't think law firm interviews are all that different from most job interviews I've done.

I'm thinking ties to the market hurt me more than my interviewing skills, though I really thought my ties were good enough.
Top-20 here, top 1/3, LR. doing pre-select, got 33 screeners and 10 CB so far. Good amount of DC firms yet to hear back from. I'm honestly shocked reading the experiences of the T-14 schools here, me and my friends were musing that if we were doing so well the T-14's must be cleaning up this cycle.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Did you bid Cali?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:11 pm

Just want to push back on the T14 skepticism a little bit, because I've seen some people suggest that law firms are starting to drift away from traditional "T14 focused" recruiting practices. I'm at a mid T-14 school, and everyone I know is lighting it up. The five people in my study group all received more than 4 CB's and all have offers in the V20. I've spoken to several people who were at or below median who received 5-10 CBs with V50 firms. Spoke to a guy who was in the 40th percentile who has offers from Skadden and Kirkland. People who wanted to go outside of our school's region are getting offers in the secondary markets that they wanted. The people at the top of the class are landing offers at V5 firms exactly like they should be.

My only point is that there seems to be real value in attending a T14 that extends up and down the class ranking. I also seriously doubt that we are in the middle of a crazy recruitment cycle. From the feedback I've heard, it's business as usual.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

OutCold

Bronze

Post by OutCold » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:15 pm

Nobody should be drawing conclusions about shifts in legal hiring from this thread.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:31 pm

Above median at CCN, 22 screeners, 8cbs. dont think im a particuarly good interviewer. a lot of my friends are doing well but that being said i know of a few who are struggling (1 or 0 cbs). t14 is important but it's important to then remember the job of getting employed isnt over the day you matriculate.

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:57 pm

FYI talking to your group of friends at your T14 about how they're doing is completely worthless anecdata. TLS is already a self-selected group of people, and how your study group did will not help determine broader trends.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:38 am

As bad as it is to extrapolate from TLS, extrapolating from your study group is considerably more dumb.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Toni V

Bronze

Post by Toni V » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:18 am

Anonymous User wrote: My only point is that there seems to be real value in attending a T14 that extends up and down the class ranking. I also seriously doubt that we are in the middle of a crazy recruitment cycle. From the feedback I've heard, it's business as usual.
You can double-down on that opinion fact!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:12 pm

Anonymous poster who posted about the experience of his mid T14 school here. Forgot that everyone in the forum minored in statistics on their way to an English degree. To the people who pointed out the sampling errors in my anecdotes, please get off TLS and start running the US census, because we really can't waste your genius for data analysis.

Let me qualify my previous statement, as many people have qualified their own statements, by saying that I'm providing OBVIOUSLY ANECDOTAL evidence that is not broadly representative of the entire population of law students. In a thread that feels like it's boiling over with frantic anecdotes about how the sky is falling, I thought it might help to hear an anecdote about how the sky is not falling. My apologies; obviously we're trying to build a "pre-OCI offers are destroying conventional recruiting" and "law firms are fundamentally re-thinking their T14-centric recruiting strategy" narrative, so i guess I should've provided another anecdote that supported that narrative.

And why the hell would you put a hyphen in the phrase "double-down"? You're an idiot. Way to attack a straw man by representing my position as, "everything I say is an incontrovertible fact." Does this type of argument work with your nephew?

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anonymous poster who posted about the experience of his mid T14 school here. Forgot that everyone in the forum minored in statistics on their way to an English degree. To the people who pointed out the sampling errors in my anecdotes, please get off TLS and start running the US census, because we really can't waste your genius for data analysis.

Let me qualify my previous statement, as many people have qualified their own statements, by saying that I'm providing OBVIOUSLY ANECDOTAL evidence that is not broadly representative of the entire population of law students. In a thread that feels like it's boiling over with frantic anecdotes about how the sky is falling, I thought it might help to hear an anecdote about how the sky is not falling. My apologies; obviously we're trying to build a "pre-OCI offers are destroying conventional recruiting" and "law firms are fundamentally re-thinking their T14-centric recruiting strategy" narrative, so i guess I should've provided another anecdote that supported that narrative.

And why the hell would you put a hyphen in the phrase "double-down"? You're an idiot. Way to attack a straw man by representing my position as, "everything I say is an incontrovertible fact." Does this type of argument work with your nephew?
Thanks for the hot take, bro.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anonymous poster who posted about the experience of his mid T14 school here. Forgot that everyone in the forum minored in statistics on their way to an English degree. To the people who pointed out the sampling errors in my anecdotes, please get off TLS and start running the US census, because we really can't waste your genius for data analysis.

Listen you nasty little child, i'm glad everything is going well at YOUR T14 and among YOUR friends, but the overwhelming majority of anecdotes here militate very strongly in favor of the conclusion that legal hiring is going to be significantly down this year and many candidates who would have been nutting all over the OCI process are going to find themselves going into 2L blue balled by unemployment.

While we're all very happy that you've been getting your V10 rocks off as fast as your callback refractory period resets, the fact is that there are many here ITT who are going to find themselves without an offer, and we don't need you coming in here and bragging about all the sweet biglaw action you've been getting.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:38 pm

No one can possibly draw any conclusions about the state of legal hiring generally this year based on one thread on TLS populated by an unknown number of anons, about whom we know almost nothing, on August 22. Everybody calm down and stop fighting about what we don't know. I get that it's a stressful time of year and people need to vent and that's why I haven't locked this yet, but it's getting increasingly pointless.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:40 pm

Reminder: do not use anon to attack other posters, even while simultaneously posting personal info. If you continue to attack people while using anon, your post runs the risk of being outed for failure to follow forum rules.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:12 pm

mid t14er here, I got CBs at literally every firm where I screened (including multiple V10s) and offers at half of them. I don't buy this "the sky is falling" recruitment panic. So what if firms are recruiting earlier in the summer? Why do you expect to be able to sit back on your haunches and have a job handed to you (regardless of where you go to school) by the OCI process? That isn't how life works in literally any other employment context; why would you expect it to work that way at law schools?

Out of the people in my class, everyone I know who was even remotely 'good' at law school has an offer at a firm paying NY market rate, whether they got that offer through early recruiting or OCI. It's a free market world and we're just living in it. Adjust your strategy appropriately, dudes. (And I'm sure you're almost all dudes; I've found women are much more strategic at things like this so they aren't gonna have this problem.)

e: just to be clear, this is my first post ITT; I'm a different 'mid t14er' than the other guy posting in this thread :lol:
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arock111

New

Post by arock111 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:mid t14er here, I got CBs at literally every firm where I screened (including multiple V10s) and offers at half of them. I don't buy this "the sky is falling" recruitment panic. So what if firms are recruiting earlier in the summer? Why do you expect to be able to sit back on your haunches and have a job handed to you (regardless of where you go to school) by the OCI process? That isn't how life works in literally any other employment context; why would you expect it to work that way at law schools?

Out of the people in my class, everyone I know who was even remotely 'good' at law school has an offer at a firm paying NY market rate, whether they got that offer through early recruiting or OCI. It's a free market world and we're just living in it. Adjust your strategy appropriately, dudes. (And I'm sure you're almost all dudes; I've found women are much more strategic at things like this so they aren't gonna have this problem.)
anon doesn't exist for you to be a dick

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Legal Employment”