What the hell is going on Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

How many CBs have you gotten so far?

8%
4%
7%
6%
4+
75%

Total votes: 213

marcusme

New

Re: What the hell is going on

Post by marcusme » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:>that feel when "[Your name]" is in a different font than the rest of the ding email.
I actually received a generic e-mail without my name/office location even filled out. It literally said, Dear [Applicant name], Unfortunately.... [office location].
Please tell me it also said, "While we were very impressed with your credentials..."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:>that feel when "[Your name]" is in a different font than the rest of the ding email.
I actually received a generic e-mail without my name/office location even filled out. It literally said, Dear [Applicant name], Unfortunately.... [office location].
Please tell me it also said, "While we were very impressed with your credentials..."
I was rejected from a firm I didn't even interview with or apply to. "Dear Anon, We were pleased to talk with you at X Off-Campus Program, but are unable to invite you for further interview despite your credentials."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
The worst is the during the screening/cb ding. "You have great grades, an excellent resume and a great personality, someone is going to give you an offer."

I got one of those doing a CB from a partner in SoCal when my resume screamed NorCal. He asked me what would make me choose LA over SF, I told him whatever firm I feel is a better fit. He told me I'd get plenty of SF offers, so far nothing.

eyeofvigilence

Bronze

Post by eyeofvigilence » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
The worst is the during the screening/cb ding. "You have great grades, an excellent resume and a great personality, someone is going to give you an offer."

I got one of those doing a CB from a partner in SoCal when my resume screamed NorCal. He asked me what would make me choose LA over SF, I told him whatever firm I feel is a better fit. He told me I'd get plenty of SF offers, so far nothing.
Sad to say... This is interview skills 101. Bad answer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Sad to say... This is interview skills 101. Bad answer.
I know, it was my first CB. I decided to go with an honest answer since I'm not attached to SF. I've changed it up since...but to be honest I got "the line" before he even asked the question.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Trevorange

New

Post by Trevorange » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:43 pm

brightthru2014 wrote:I'm a generic white male (was in a fraternity) at a lower t14 with a slightly below median GPA and got 4 call backs to V30-75 firms, which is more or less about what I would have expected before going through OCI.

Honestly I think the process is pretty fair, yall just aren't self aware enough to honestly evaluate yourselves.
I agree, my impression is that people think they are way better interviewers than they actually are.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is there really a problem this year or is this thread full of a handful of median kids who aren't getting CB...which happens every year.
Lol, it's such an inaccurate assumption that the people who are struggling were/are median. Grades aren't everything. Anecdotally, my best friend at school is comfortably riding the curve and she walked into the recruiting season with pre-OCI offers at V5-20 and is holding 5(?) CBs as of this morning. Blonde, KJD, didn't cure cancer. Another kid is at 8, below median. We go to an MVP school. The cycle is just weird.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

i got this yesterday in a screener from a small office of a firm that i was really interested in. i had done a bunch of research and was asking specific questions that i thought showed my interest but at the end I could tell i hadn't convinced the interviewer. so frustrating

wolfie_m.

New

Post by wolfie_m. » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I agree, my impression is that people think they are way better interviewers than they actually are.
Anonymous User wrote:I know, it was my first CB. I decided to go with an honest answer since I'm not attached to SF. I've changed it up since...but to be honest I got "the line" before he even asked the question.
These are probably both accurate. Some firms just aren't that interested in you, even when you have a screener with them, for reasons of fit or whatever. There's nothing you can do about those situations.

However, in the aggregate, if you aren't successful in interviews, the problem is usually some combination of ties/grades/interviewing.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:54 pm

I started early at a lower t14 and got three v10 early offers. I then went to OCI and basically struck out with all peer firms. My friends who have better grades tend to be getting all of the CBs and offers down the list. It's insane to me how many firm offers the cravath/sullcrom offers will turn down. At the same time, some kids with really good grades, or even jd/mba joint degrees, did not get a lot of offers or they struck out at all the firms they had a decent shot at (like Weil, Latham, PW, etc.). It's like the kids at the top grabbed a lot, and the kids in the top 25% seriously underperformed, the kids at the bottom cast wide nets and some got nothing. That's my 2-cents.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:03 pm

Cornell rising 2L checking in here.

For the greater part, things are good. Perhaps, this is just anecdotal?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:08 pm

Cornell 2L here as well. I have heard positive things. Like the anon above, the kids at the top have taken offers down the list and likely squeezed out some otherwise competitive people.

I don't want to get caught up in this race nonsense, but I will say that it was a bit disheartening when I followed another good candidate with a similar racial background as me into an interview. I think there is an underlying sense that top firms aren't going to take a lot of Cornell kids and if you and another candidate are very similar (with respect to grades and nationality), its hard to believe you're both going to get the CB. I felt this way particularly going into some interviews. One friend and I later joked which ever one of us went in first would get the offer.

Also, it was shitty to hear kids who had a GREAT interviewer at one firm and then I got the more weird person in another room. It kind of blew my shot at Simpson, but that's life.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:20 pm

ITT: People autistic enough to frequent TLS nervously theorize 15 other reasons why they don't have as many CBs as they thought they were gonna get

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Trevorange

New

Post by Trevorange » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:27 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:ITT: People autistic enough to frequent TLS nervously theorize 15 other reasons why they don't have as many CBs as they thought they were gonna get
Exactly.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:28 pm

Original Cornell anon 2L poster here.

I mean...I know for sure that people in the bottom 35% and bottom 25% are getting CBs and offers. I think it really comes down to interviewing.

Blue0613

New

Post by Blue0613 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:43 pm

Last edited by Blue0613 on Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:55 pm

Clerking is overrated anyways. Especially since the majority of Cornell kids go into transactional work.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

El Pollito

Diamond

Post by El Pollito » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:07 pm

i am laughing my ass off at the oppressed greek

Atmosphere

Silver

Post by Atmosphere » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:18 pm

El Pollito wrote:i am laughing my ass off at the oppressed greek
Yo. That was the first time I shook my head in real life at TLS.

chasie

New

Post by chasie » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:18 pm

What's with all this trash talking about aspies and people with autism? I know aspie lawyers who have managed hardships without blaming others. Stop calling people autistic when you meant to call them dumb and irresponsible, thank you.

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:20 pm

bk1 wrote:All this speculation about 180k when we don't even know if (or by how much) firms are going to lower bonuses to compensate for the increased salaries.
exactly. ill actually bet right now that this class size is larger than one of the previous 2. there is nothing different about this summer other than its not growing as fast as past years and might have levelled off. nothing indicates anything more than a tiny contraction if there is a contraction.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:27 pm

Cornell anon also checking in. A little above median (3.5) and got 11 callbacks at our OCI. Never did a mock interview, never practiced, just walked in and had honest, straightforward conversations with screeners. The whole process was relaxed and mainly just trading stories. I think one thing that might have been useful is that I didn't make the interviews all about me and my resume - I asked questions about the screener, where they were from, what they do/enjoy doing, etc.

Little birdies essentially told me though that some screeners found their interviewees to be arrogant in their interviews...Not saying this doesn't surprise me, but it doesn't surprise me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:07 pm

CCN and most people I've talked to are killing it. Talking people in bottom 25% of class with multiple V50 callbacks. Not sure what's going on everywhere else.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What's with all this trash talking about aspies and people with autism? I know aspie lawyers who have managed hardships without blaming others. Stop calling people autistic when you meant to call them dumb and irresponsible, thank you.
I literally meant autistic. As in, actual autism is costing you callbacks.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:12 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What's with all this trash talking about aspies and people with autism? I know aspie lawyers who have managed hardships without blaming others. Stop calling people autistic when you meant to call them dumb and irresponsible, thank you.
I literally meant autistic. As in, actual autism is costing you callbacks.
I know normals with above median grades at T14s that are struggling (not entirely striking out though)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Legal Employment”