Callback thank you notes: do or don't?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Callback thank you notes: do or don't?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:11 pm

I hope this issue has not been discussed ad nauseam, but I can't seem to find a clear answer. I guess it comes down to personal preference, but as far as biglaw firms in a secondary market, are these a good idea or waste of time?

pa1901

New

Re: Callback thank you notes: do or don't?

Postby pa1901 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:18 pm

Absolutely no need to send them. I did a few CBs for biglaw firms in a secondary market and never sent thank you emails and still had success. Of course, if you really want to send them then by all means go ahead. But I and many people I know take the stance that they are pointless and only give you extra work - and potentially stress if you have a typo or something - with no upside. Sending a thank you email will never be the thing that pushes you from no offer to an offer. So just don't worry about them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:22 pm

pa1901 wrote:Absolutely no need to send them. I did a few CBs for biglaw firms in a secondary market and never sent thank you emails and still had success. Of course, if you really want to send them then by all means go ahead. But I and many people I know take the stance that they are pointless and only give you extra work - and potentially stress if you have a typo or something - with no upside. Sending a thank you email will never be the thing that pushes you from no offer to an offer. So just don't worry about them.

Assuming you had a CB interview with someone on the hiring committee, do you think it would then possibly be beneficial if it was sent prior to them meeting on your candidacy?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:25 pm

[deleted]

thegrayman

Silver

Postby thegrayman » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:47 pm

It won't sway their decision either way and it puts you on the hook for any typos/errors.

That said, I did send them because I figured why not.

pa1901

New

Postby pa1901 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
pa1901 wrote:Absolutely no need to send them. I did a few CBs for biglaw firms in a secondary market and never sent thank you emails and still had success. Of course, if you really want to send them then by all means go ahead. But I and many people I know take the stance that they are pointless and only give you extra work - and potentially stress if you have a typo or something - with no upside. Sending a thank you email will never be the thing that pushes you from no offer to an offer. So just don't worry about them.

Assuming you had a CB interview with someone on the hiring committee, do you think it would then possibly be beneficial if it was sent prior to them meeting on your candidacy?

I've never been part of a hiring committee for a law firm so I can't 100% speak to what goes through their minds, but I stick by saying thank you emails are absolutely unnecessary during the whole OCI through CB process for biglaw SA hiring. Firms are going to judge candidates based on your credentials and your actual interviews. I have hard time believing any firm's decision to extend a person an offer would be affected at all by the person sending/not-sending a thank you letter. If they didn't like you enough during your CB you won't change their minds by sending a thank you email. And if they liked you enough during your CB then they aren't going to put all that aside because you didn't send a thank you email.

dood

Gold

Postby dood » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:21 pm

why wouldn't you? i keep hearing law students repeat "not necessary." as an 4th year V20 associate that does a shit ton of interviews, I can tell you a nice handwritten 2-sentance thank you note will definitely move your name into the "hire" category when we are sitting in a conference room going around discussing pros and cons of each candidate. one simple reason: that handwritten thank you note goes on my bulletin board and a week later you're gonna be the only candidate I remember.

for all the people who say its risky bc you may typo -- jesus christ, if you cant write a 2 sentence thank you note without typos, you're not gonna make it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:26 pm

Who on earth is going to handwrite thank you notes to each of the 50+ attorneys they did callback interviews with?

h2go

Bronze

Postby h2go » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:33 pm

dood wrote:why wouldn't you? i keep hearing law students repeat "not necessary." as an 4th year V20 associate that does a shit ton of interviews, I can tell you a nice handwritten 2-sentance thank you note will definitely move your name into the "hire" category when we are sitting in a conference room going around discussing pros and cons of each candidate. one simple reason: that handwritten thank you note goes on my bulletin board and a week later you're gonna be the only candidate I remember.

for all the people who say its risky bc you may typo -- jesus christ, if you cant write a 2 sentence thank you note without typos, you're not gonna make it.

A handwritten thank you note probably isn't going to get to the interviewer(s) before a decision is made.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Postby LaLiLuLeLo » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:53 pm

While a handwritten note is indeed a nice touch:

1. There's a good chance it won't make it in time before a decision is made

2. A lot of people have dogshit handwriting (myself included)

3. Ain't no one got time for that

As everyone else is saying, a thank you note is not necessary. I never did them and was fine.

lavarman84

Platinum

Postby lavarman84 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:54 pm

Do it. It's not going to hurt you, and there are still attorneys who value it. I remember talking with a rainmaker at the firm I SA'd at about how people are advising law students not to write thank you notes, and he went on a rant about how wrong that is.

I am not about to claim that his view is the majority view out there. But I'm pointing out that there are still people who value these things. All it costs you is a little bit of time. And if you can send a hand-written letter, even better.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:58 pm

I had a callback with a v10 nyc firm and sent a thank you email to the partner that I connected with most during the interview. The partner responded to my email within an hour of me sending it. When the partner called to give me the offer the partner cited my email specifically as one of the determining factors in why the partner decided to give me an offer. The partner said it was well written and one of the best thank yous the partner has received.

That being said, the partner did comment that most thank you emails don't sway him because they aren't very good nor do they stand out. I wrote about something we connected over during the interview and something (positive) I observed when I was in the office interviewing but didn't mention to him in person.

If you have something specific you want to comment on then you should write a thank you but make sure there are no typos. If you don't have any real reason to write other than to say thank you, then don't bother because that won't help and just opens up an opportunity to mess up.

oshberg28

Bronze

Postby oshberg28 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:16 pm

As long as you're not a moron, they won't hurt. Sure, there's maybe a 1% chance that it might make a difference - that's 1% more than the people who don't write them - every little bit helps. Who knows, that person you wrote a note to may remember you next summer because of it, and may be more apt to give you a CB.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:29 am

They're fine. I've gotten them from around 2/3 of the candidates I've interviewed at callbacks. I have almost always received them after I've already submitted my written evaluation, and in any event, they're generally highly generic and wouldn't move the needle. I wouldn't hold it against someone who didn't send one. I've gotten maybe two handwritten ones, and those arrive almost comically late in light of the pace of our recruiting process.

dood

Gold

Postby dood » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Who on earth is going to handwrite thank you notes to each of the 50+ attorneys they did callback interviews with?

um me. but ill admit im a perfectionist. although ive never not gotten an offer, from OCI and lateraling. EDIT: also, i realize that i did OCI in the shittest of shit economy, so when people are getting like 4 CBs and no-offered and it was competitive as fuk.
Last edited by dood on Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dood

Gold

Postby dood » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:55 pm

LaLiLuLeLo wrote:While a handwritten note is indeed a nice touch:

As everyone else is saying, a thank you note is not necessary. I never did them and was fine.

1. write the notes that night and give it to the hotel, ask the front desk to fedex it and it gets billed to the firm. or you can use a courier -- in NY or DC or LA its cheaper than fedex, around $20. they come pick it up from wherever you are, plenty of apps.

2. yeah, that's why it shows how much you wanna work at XYZ firm

3. do your top firm(s)

4. yeah ok, i concur for most people probably wont matter. but it doesn't hurt, so why not? it can only move some forgetful associate like me to vote for you. ive literally done this, like sitting around the room, partners ask us to name our top 3 candidates, and I'm like "???....ah [the guy who sent me a note]; he's the BOMB"

Rowinguy2009

Bronze

Postby Rowinguy2009 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:08 pm

Many interviewers/decision makers narrow the candidate pool down to their "top choices" almost immediately after the initial interviews. If you're one of the top choices and you don't send an email pretty shortly after the interview, but the other top choices do, you run a small risk of standing out in a negative way (because the vast majority of interviewees send thank you emails).

I've seen this happen before - not sure that it actually affected the end result, but it was enough to embed in me to always send a thank-you email.

If you really feel compelled to send a handwritten note, then do both I guess.

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:40 pm

Just anecdotally, as an associate who did many callback & lunch interviews with 2Ls, immediately after it was done I filled out a form with my notes and a thumbs up / thumbs down / other recommendation, and that was the end of my involvement. Then, hiring committee would meet periodically and go through everything and make a decision. So while I did actually like when someone sent a thank you email, it had no impact at all because I'd already submitted my impressions. And I'd say less than 20% of people actually sent thank yous. My firm liked to do rolling offers and jump on the best candidates fast, so in my case, thank you notes would have no impact because they would never arrive before each interviewer's impressions were already written down.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:34 pm

dood wrote:
LaLiLuLeLo wrote:While a handwritten note is indeed a nice touch:

1. write the notes that night and give it to the hotel, ask the front desk to fedex it and it gets billed to the firm. or you can use a courier -- in NY or DC or LA its cheaper than fedex, around $20. they come pick it up from wherever you are, plenty of apps.

2. yeah, that's why it shows how much you wanna work at XYZ firm

3. do your top firm(s)

4. yeah ok, i concur for most people probably wont matter. but it doesn't hurt, so why not? it can only move some forgetful associate like me to vote for you. ive literally done this, like sitting around the room, partners ask us to name our top 3 candidates, and I'm like "???....ah [the guy who sent me a note]; he's the BOMB"

What the fuck? Don't FedEx a thank you note on the firm's dime.

r6_philly

Diamond

Postby r6_philly » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:23 am

I generally filled out evaluations immediately after the person leaves my office. So thank you notes are nice but irrelevant. However, I appreciate getting them.

Return to “Legal Employment�