Rising Mid-Level (V10) + OCI Interviewer Taking Questions.

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonanonymous

New

Re: Rising Mid-Level (V10) + OCI Interviewer Taking Questions.

Postby Anonanonymous » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm interested in a reasonably niche practice, and have been hitting the firms that are highly ranked in the field. They know it through my CV and screeners, and my resume reflects it.

When I follow up with recruiting, what are your thoughts on CC-ing the practice groups main partner? I figure he/she might be interested and tell them to give me a callback.

Bad idea - too aggressive. You could reach out to those practice group partners individually and extend your gratitude, strong interest, etc. But assuming you met these partners in a screener, they made a decision whether to call you back or not that day.

Anonanonymous

New

Postby Anonanonymous » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What are some of the most common things interviewees say (particularly in response to "why this firm/city") that you find off-putting/insincere?

Anything that is insincere or if I can catch you in a lie. If we are asking this question, it is likely because we saw something in your materials that made you question interest in coming to the city. So you need to come back with something convincing backed with facts, as best as you can. For example, one recruit had zero ties or experience in X city (our office) and said X city is his number one choice. He summered in Y city, where he had extensive contacts during 1l summer. We asked why he didn't summer as a 1L doing something in X city. No good response. Ding.

Anonanonymous

New

Postby Anonanonymous » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:01 pm

Last edited by Anonanonymous on Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonanonymous

New

Postby Anonanonymous » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I had 2 call backs a week apart. In each CB the partners said they will get back to me in a week or two. It has been 3 and 4 weeks for each CB. About 3 days ago I sent an email out reiterating my interest, what i liked about the firm, and some new developments in a big case i was working on in my previous firm. Still no word.

Is it because I have rejection snail mails on its way?

Not necessarily. The partners likely had no idea what the hell the timeline was, or if they did, can easily shift. You are probably in a holding pattern (which is most recruits). The continued interest email was good. Hang tight and keep the faith. Follow-up again in a couple weeks if still silent unless recruiting said they would let you know (i.e. stop harassing us).

Anonanonymous

New

Postby Anonanonymous » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:When the recruitment committee reviews a candidate is there more weight given to candidates who had their screeners with a partner?

Maybe but not a sure thing. All partners are not created equal. As you will learn once you start working, the firm is really broken down to several political power centers that revolve around particularly powerful equity partners. If one of these guys interviewed you and liked you, you are getting a callback even if everyone else thought you sucked.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:18 pm

Screeners first week of august. A handful of dings, no CBs. The remaining firms have been silent on me while some of those have given 1-2 waves of CBs and some dings. If recruiting meets once a week at most, my file has gone through their process twice. Am I likely on a WL?

Wustlmike19

New

Postby Wustlmike19 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:28 pm

Anonanonymous wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm interested in a reasonably niche practice, and have been hitting the firms that are highly ranked in the field. They know it through my CV and screeners, and my resume reflects it.

When I follow up with recruiting, what are your thoughts on CC-ing the practice groups main partner? I figure he/she might be interested and tell them to give me a callback.

Bad idea - too aggressive. You could reach out to those practice group partners individually and extend your gratitude, strong interest, etc. But assuming you met these partners in a screener, they made a decision whether to call you back or not that day.

I think I was too vague...Sorry. This would be solely for the firms I mass-mailed, or if I didn't meet those partners at a career fair. I won't be doing this for OCI firms. I don't know if that changes your answer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:35 pm

Can you gauge a firms interest in you based on who they schedule you to interview with at CBs? For example, if you meet with mostly partners and a partner takes you to lunch, high interest? Or do they just schedule based on whose available and its impossible to really know?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:45 pm

What are some good ways to stand out in an interview? Or generally how would you separate a great from just an average interviewee?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:50 pm

Anonanonymous wrote:TLS helped a lot when I was a student. Time to repay the favor. AMA

Does who you interviewed with affect the timing of your callback offer? I keep seeing people ask for the initials of interviewers. Can't think of any reason for this other than callbacks from the same firm going out at different times based on interviewer. Thanks.

Anonanonymous

New

Postby Anonanonymous » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Screeners first week of august. A handful of dings, no CBs. The remaining firms have been silent on me while some of those have given 1-2 waves of CBs and some dings. If recruiting meets once a week at most, my file has gone through their process twice. Am I likely on a WL?

Yes. Keep the faith. Send a follow-up to recruiting at each firm that has been silent for several weeks to show continued interest. Keep hustling.

Anonanonymous

New

Postby Anonanonymous » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:32 pm

Wustlmike19 wrote:
Anonanonymous wrote:

I think I was too vague...Sorry. This would be solely for the firms I mass-mailed, or if I didn't meet those partners at a career fair. I won't be doing this for OCI firms. I don't know if that changes your answer.

No, it doesn't change my answer. Trust me on this, optics aren't good.

Anonanonymous

New

Postby Anonanonymous » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can you gauge a firms interest in you based on who they schedule you to interview with at CBs? For example, if you meet with mostly partners and a partner takes you to lunch, high interest? Or do they just schedule based on whose available and its impossible to really know?

Usually the latter. I've heard of the former happening occasionally for real all-stars (very top of class at T-14, trying to woo the recruit) but given our hectic schedules, usually just whomever is available. Some firms only use partners for callbacks. Too hard to say but will usually be the latter.

Anonanonymous

New

Postby Anonanonymous » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What are some good ways to stand out in an interview? Or generally how would you separate a great from just an average interviewee?

Speaking personally, if I feel a strong connection with you during the interview. Hard to force. I've touched on some of this in previous answers, but being quick to smile, personable, excited (or appear to be excited), passionate (or appear to be passionate) will go a long way. The other stuff that will tilt the day in your favor (grades, work experience, etc.) are out of your hands when it comes time to interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:07 pm

Anonanonymous wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Screeners first week of august. A handful of dings, no CBs. The remaining firms have been silent on me while some of those have given 1-2 waves of CBs and some dings. If recruiting meets once a week at most, my file has gone through their process twice. Am I likely on a WL?

Yes. Keep the faith. Send a follow-up to recruiting at each firm that has been silent for several weeks to show continued interest. Keep hustling.

Great, that gives me some hope. Thank you for doing this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonanonymous wrote:TLS helped a lot when I was a student. Time to repay the favor. AMA

Does who you interviewed with affect the timing of your callback offer? I keep seeing people ask for the initials of interviewers. Can't think of any reason for this other than callbacks from the same firm going out at different times based on interviewer. Thanks.

Would love an answer to this one.

Anonanonymous

New

Postby Anonanonymous » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

No, who you interviewed with is not likely to affect the timing of your callback offer - aside from say group A interviewers being on more top of their shit and getting their callback recommendations back to recruiting faster than say the group B interviewers. But almost universally your interviewers will be getting their recommendations into recruiting same-day or the next day. After that, up to recruiting to send out CB invites. I understand the desire to read tea-leaves and ask for interviewer initials, but largely a futile exercise.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:15 pm

Anonanonymous wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

No, who you interviewed with is not likely to affect the timing of your callback offer - aside from say group A interviewers being on more top of their shit and getting their callback recommendations back to recruiting faster than say the group B interviewers. But almost universally your interviewers will be getting their recommendations into recruiting same-day or the next day. After that, up to recruiting to send out CB invites. I understand the desire to read tea-leaves and ask for interviewer initials, but largely a futile exercise.

Kind of what I suspected. Thanks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:45 am

Anonanonymous wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I had 2 call backs a week apart. In each CB the partners said they will get back to me in a week or two. It has been 3 and 4 weeks for each CB. About 3 days ago I sent an email out reiterating my interest, what i liked about the firm, and some new developments in a big case i was working on in my previous firm. Still no word.

Not necessarily. The partners likely had no idea what the hell the timeline was, or if they did, can easily shift. You are probably in a holding pattern (which is most recruits). The continued interest email was good. Hang tight and keep the faith. Follow-up again in a couple weeks if still silent unless recruiting said they would let you know (i.e. stop harassing us).

I contacted the interviewing partners directly to follow up but they don't seem to respond (I have sent 2 so far, first my app and second a follow up interest email). Should I follow up with the recruiting director instead from now on? Is he/she likely to tell the interviewing partner that I made contact to reiterate my interest? Or will they simply tell me that they will get back to me soon?

Anonanonymous

New

Postby Anonanonymous » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonanonymous wrote:

I contacted the interviewing partners directly to follow up but they don't seem to respond (I have sent 2 so far, first my app and second a follow up interest email). Should I follow up with the recruiting director instead from now on? Is he/she likely to tell the interviewing partner that I made contact to reiterate my interest? Or will they simply tell me that they will get back to me soon?

Recruiting director. If you are lucky, the emails you send the partners will be forwarded onto recruiting. More likely, they will be ignored and forgotten because they are dealing with numerous client fire-drills.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:23 am

What motivates you to keep working hard on stuff you might not find interesting? Is it some combination of the money and exit ops or something else?

Anonanonymous

New

Postby Anonanonymous » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:37 pm

Last edited by Anonanonymous on Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jkpolk

Silver

Postby jkpolk » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:40 pm

How many people from your class are left at your firm? Have you stayed in touch with any?

Anonanonymous

New

Postby Anonanonymous » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:15 pm

jkpolk wrote:How many people from your class are left at your firm? Have you stayed in touch with any?

I would say more than half are gone. I keep in touch with a bunch of them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:57 pm

Of those who have left your firm, what have they gone on to do?

Return to “Legal Employment�