UVA OGI Interviewer - Taking Questions Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

UVA OGI Interviewer - Taking Questions

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:22 am

Thread title says it all. Rising corporate mid-level at a V-10 in Texas. Don't want to get more specific than that for now. Have interviewed at UVA for several years now. Would be happy to answer any UVA OGI questions, general interview questions, etc. Fire away.

Anonymous User

Re: UVA OGI Interviewer - Taking Questions

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:03 am

What are some of the most common issues you notice with UVA students you interview (or students in general that you have interviewed)? How can a median or below-median student stand out and get a callback?

Anonymous User

Re: UVA OGI Interviewer - Taking Questions

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:42 am

OP here. Good questions. My thoughts are below:

(1) Common Issues. Most of the interviewees are polished, but there is a wide and noticeable chasm between an OK interviewee and a great interviewee. Putting grades aside for the moment, a great candidate conveys excitement and passion. They adjust to the style of their interviewer after an initial 5 minutes or so (emotional IQ). They are personable; someone who you want another 20 minutes with. In short, they pass the George W. "beer test" with flying colors (would I want to grab a drink with him or her after a 14 hour day)? Some of this is innate but it can be learned and practiced to a degree. You would be surprised how much a big smile, a quick laugh, and engaged body language can enhance an interview. These are all things that everyone can do with practice.

(2) Below median grades. At a T-14, this is not a death kneel IF: you either (i) interview very well (see above), (ii) have other strong soft factors and highlight them (interesting work experience, strong UG) and/or (iii) HUSTLE. Can't emphasize the last one enough. I had a friend who was definitely bottom 1/3 and ended up with 8 converted callbacks. He had (i), (ii), and (iii) above. I have other friends who were below median who struck out completely or snagged one offer at the last moment. You can't control your grades when approaching OCI/OGI, but you can control many other factors that can make or break an offer.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”