Splitting between two SV firms

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Should I split my summer between two SV firms?

Yes
0
No votes
No
6
100%
 
Total votes: 6

Anonymous User
Posts: 316480
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Splitting between two SV firms

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:23 pm

I have offers from two biglaw firms, both of which are in Silicon Valley. I was not a 1L SA at either firm. According to NALP, both firms determine splitting on a case-by-case basis. I'm wondering whether I should even ask them about splitting the summer (8-7) with another firm in the same market? And I guess the bigger question is whether I should be splitting my summer between two SV firms (assuming both allow me to split) or not.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 316480
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Splitting between two SV firms

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:34 pm

What is SV

Anonymous User
Posts: 316480
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Splitting between two SV firms

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:52 pm

Pick one and be happy. If you didn't do a 1L SA don't try to pull one over and split on them. You're basically saying you won't commit that way. It'd be bad for your post grad offer odds.

Anonymous User
Posts: 316480
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Splitting between two SV firms

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What is SV

Sorry I meant Silicon Valley firms.

Anonymous User
Posts: 316480
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Splitting between two SV firms

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Pick one and be happy. If you didn't do a 1L SA don't try to pull one over and split on them. You're basically saying you won't commit that way. It'd be bad for your post grad offer odds.


OP here. Thanks for confirming my suspicion! I thought it might look bad especially in the same market. Of course I don't want to do anything that would hinder my post grad offer odds. Thanks again for the advice.

run26.2

Silver
Posts: 989
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:35 am

Re: Splitting between two SV firms

Postby run26.2 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:03 am

I have seen splits between SV and SF and SV and another market. In each case, the SA had strong academic credentials and one of the offers was at a place that is well-known for being more selective than biglaw. It doesn't sound like this is your situation (since I don't know of any ultra-selective firms in SV), but if your credentials are good enough, it still might work. Otherwise, I'd probably just pick one.

If you do decide to ask, approach the firm you like less first to gauge their reaction.

Anonymous User
Posts: 316480
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Splitting between two SV firms

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:45 am

run26.2 wrote:I have seen splits between SV and SF and SV and another market. In each case, the SA had strong academic credentials and one of the offers was at a place that is well-known for being more selective than biglaw. It doesn't sound like this is your situation (since I don't know of any ultra-selective firms in SV), but if your credentials are good enough, it still might work. Otherwise, I'd probably just pick one.

If you do decide to ask, approach the firm you like less first to gauge their reaction.


Do you think asking about splitting between two firms in SV looks worse than SF-SV split or SV and another market split? They're both biglaw firms (with 100% offer rate) but one has a much smaller office than the other in Silicon Valley and typically hires just one or two summer associates each year. I'm not sure if I would call either of them ultra-selective though. My academic credentials are decent: T-14 top ~20% with a strong science background.

Not sure if my academic credentials are strong enough to be risking it. I'm grateful to have two good offers but like the poster above mentioned I may run the risk of getting no offered by splitting.

Anonymous User
Posts: 316480
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Splitting between two SV firms

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:16 am

You should 100% split if the firms let you, which they probably will not. We have a few split summer SA's at my SV office this year (V5 satellite so maybe different if talking fenwick/Cooley/etc) and they will for sure get offers. Firms want to offer their SA's; you really don't need to be so neurotic about it.

Being a summer associate is the best job in the world -- try to do it for as long as humanely possible

run26.2

Silver
Posts: 989
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:35 am

Re: Splitting between two SV firms

Postby run26.2 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
run26.2 wrote:I have seen splits between SV and SF and SV and another market. In each case, the SA had strong academic credentials and one of the offers was at a place that is well-known for being more selective than biglaw. It doesn't sound like this is your situation (since I don't know of any ultra-selective firms in SV), but if your credentials are good enough, it still might work. Otherwise, I'd probably just pick one.

If you do decide to ask, approach the firm you like less first to gauge their reaction.


Do you think asking about splitting between two firms in SV looks worse than SF-SV split or SV and another market split? They're both biglaw firms (with 100% offer rate) but one has a much smaller office than the other in Silicon Valley and typically hires just one or two summer associates each year. I'm not sure if I would call either of them ultra-selective though. My academic credentials are decent: T-14 top ~20% with a strong science background.

Not sure if my academic credentials are strong enough to be risking it. I'm grateful to have two good offers but like the poster above mentioned I may run the risk of getting no offered by splitting.

I do not think it worse, per se, to split between two SV firms or SV and another market. If the firms between which you might split are two NorCal firms (e.g., Cooley, Fenwick, Wilson), then it may be worse; I do not know enough about the cultures of these firms to know whether they are competitive for each others' employees. I doubt it though.

There are two principle risks that you face in seeking to do this. First, there is the risk that you are perceived as less committed. I think this risk is small and will dissipate once you start. Second, there is the risk that you perceive yourself as a "special snowflake," in TLS parlance. I think this is the more real risk, and you want to avoid this kind of reputation. I would venture to guess that most firms that would allow a split on a case by case basis would do so where the firm would be willing to take the chance of having wasted the money paid to the SA for the possibility that they perceive as having lots of potential (whether based on them staying long-term at the firm and having a good school/awards to list on the site or because they may go in-house and bring business to the firm). Sorry to say, I don't see someone with your stats really fitting that mold (unless you're at HYS, especially S in this case), in which case I think you probably do fit that mold to them.

All of the above said, I think you did well with your stats to have gotten 2 biglaw offers in a highly competitive market. Your long-term prospects going to a firm there are good, regardless of whether you split.

Anonymous User
Posts: 316480
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Splitting between two SV firms

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:16 pm

run26.2 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
run26.2 wrote:I have seen splits between SV and SF and SV and another market. In each case, the SA had strong academic credentials and one of the offers was at a place that is well-known for being more selective than biglaw. It doesn't sound like this is your situation (since I don't know of any ultra-selective firms in SV), but if your credentials are good enough, it still might work. Otherwise, I'd probably just pick one.

If you do decide to ask, approach the firm you like less first to gauge their reaction.


Do you think asking about splitting between two firms in SV looks worse than SF-SV split or SV and another market split? They're both biglaw firms (with 100% offer rate) but one has a much smaller office than the other in Silicon Valley and typically hires just one or two summer associates each year. I'm not sure if I would call either of them ultra-selective though. My academic credentials are decent: T-14 top ~20% with a strong science background.

Not sure if my academic credentials are strong enough to be risking it. I'm grateful to have two good offers but like the poster above mentioned I may run the risk of getting no offered by splitting.

I do not think it worse, per se, to split between two SV firms or SV and another market. If the firms between which you might split are two NorCal firms (e.g., Cooley, Fenwick, Wilson), then it may be worse; I do not know enough about the cultures of these firms to know whether they are competitive for each others' employees. I doubt it though.

There are two principle risks that you face in seeking to do this. First, there is the risk that you are perceived as less committed. I think this risk is small and will dissipate once you start. Second, there is the risk that you perceive yourself as a "special snowflake," in TLS parlance. I think this is the more real risk, and you want to avoid this kind of reputation. I would venture to guess that most firms that would allow a split on a case by case basis would do so where the firm would be willing to take the chance of having wasted the money paid to the SA for the possibility that they perceive as having lots of potential (whether based on them staying long-term at the firm and having a good school/awards to list on the site or because they may go in-house and bring business to the firm). Sorry to say, I don't see someone with your stats really fitting that mold (unless you're at HYS, especially S in this case), in which case I think you probably do fit that mold to them.

All of the above said, I think you did well with your stats to have gotten 2 biglaw offers in a highly competitive market. Your long-term prospects going to a firm there are good, regardless of whether you split.


Thanks for your candor. Not at S, at a lower T14 (but I have an advanced science degree), so I consider myself lucky to be in this position too. The firms I'm considering are smaller offices of biglaw firms that do a lot of IP work in the Bay Area. Not Fenwick/Cooley/Wilson. Definitely don't want to start off on the wrong foot and be perceived as a special snowflake! I think the general consensus is that I should not split my summer so that's what I'm going to do. Thanks for taking the time to respond to my questions!



Return to “Legal Employment�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.