GPA 3.28 at MVB, post-OCI mass mailing?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

GPA 3.28 at MVB, post-OCI mass mailing?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:19 pm

I started mass mailing yesterday, 2 firms dinged me 1 day after. That was really fast. Those two firms that dinged me have a lower mean GPA at my school than my GPA. Is this norm? I mean if you didn't interview with them during OCI, even if your GPA is higher than their mean, you are more than likely to be dinged? If so, what strategy should I use in terms of mass mailing? Thanks a lot!

MCFC

Platinum

Re: GPA 3.28 at MVB, post-OCI mass mailing?

Postby MCFC » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:53 pm

Even a successful mass mailing campaign is going to involve a lot of dings. Keep at it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:56 pm

I had a similar GPA at DNC. I got my summer job from a post-OCI application. Just keep blasting the same as before, it can take hundreds.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:05 pm

I am curious, for those who succeeded at mass-mailing: I started before OCI in mid-late July (and continuing till now), but I still haven't heard a word from any of the firms. Is is like a ding, ie. they don't even bother taking time to email dings O-o?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:07 pm

Just follow up after about a month until you hear a ding.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:17 pm

OP here, sent out another 30 emails today, with 5 tailored, and I think I'm done with this shit... I'm just gonna wait...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:45 pm

i have been filling out the forms on the website to apply for summer associate positions not emailing. is this a big mistake? is my resume going to get lost? tbf one firm i emailed the recruiter told me to apply through the website.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i have been filling out the forms on the website to apply for summer associate positions not emailing. is this a big mistake? is my resume going to get lost? tbf one firm i emailed the recruiter told me to apply through the website.

Actually two recruiters asked me to apply online instead. So what I did was applying through the website if there is one, and then simultaneously send my resume to the recruiter to let them know that I have applied online.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:52 pm

Not a mistake. Recruiter is right, it depends on the firm. Most V50 and even a good amount of V100 have those online application forms. Others are usually by email to a recruiter or recruiting.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:53 pm

I haven't heard anything from MM lately. I assume its because its OCI season...or at least that's what I'm convincing myself of. lol

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I haven't heard anything from MM lately. I assume its because its OCI season...or at least that's what I'm convincing myself of. lol

So normally they would try to fill the summer class through OCI first, and then if there is still vacancy, they'll look into online applications? So it doesn't matter at what time you start mass mailing?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:21 pm

Last year I MM'd around this time and heard back almost 3 weeks after I reached out. So wait and send out more emails.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:38 pm

I would say that your GPA needs to be significantly higher than the firm's mean GPA at OCI because most firms filled up their summer class from OCI. They would need some really good reasons (i.e. high GPA) to let you in.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I would say that your GPA needs to be significantly higher than the firm's mean GPA at OCI because most firms filled up their summer class from OCI. They would need some really good reasons (i.e. high GPA) to let you in.

I don't agree with this. I got my job through post-OCI MM (V50 NY, median at MVPB). It's really just about sending as many applications as possible. The follow-ups tend to be the secret sauce.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I would say that your GPA needs to be significantly higher than the firm's mean GPA at OCI because most firms filled up their summer class from OCI. They would need some really good reasons (i.e. high GPA) to let you in.

I tend to disagree as well. Sometimes firms hire after OCI because they didn't get enough people out of OCI for some reason in which case the bar might actually be lower because they just need more folks quickly. You never know. Just keep on MMing and follow up.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:53 pm

For the 2 posters above, is following up 2 weeks too early? Should I wait 3 weeks to a month? What worked well for you?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:32 pm

I did two weeks. A good way to stand out is to have a targeted sentence in the email. They're getting so many applications / emails, and it's such a busy time, that the best way to get a recruiter's attention is to show that you understand what the firm does and what it's about. A little extra research can make a big difference.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I did two weeks. A good way to stand out is to have a targeted sentence in the email. They're getting so many applications / emails, and it's such a busy time, that the best way to get a recruiter's attention is to show that you understand what the firm does and what it's about. A little extra research can make a big difference.

Great point, thank you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:

I don't agree with this. I got my job through post-OCI MM (V50 NY, median at MVPB). It's really just about sending as many applications as possible. The follow-ups tend to be the secret sauce.

Would you mind sharing your timeline?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

also interested

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

also interested

I got a decent number of callbacks (either straight to or after a screener) from mid-late August applications (all after the 20th). I took them in early September and was done by the middle of the month. I didn't strike out at OCI, but I also wasn't happy with my results and decided to apply like crazy for fear of being the last one standing.

I was also the anon above who provided the targeted sentence advice. When I was figuring out how to go about MMing, the prevailing wisdom seemed to be number of applications over everything. And that's definitely important (I sent out around 100). But I think a tailored sentence in the email & cover letter, following-up, and not getting discouraged are the most important things. The last being especially difficult. Instead of saying you're interested in firm X because of the strength of the practice, mention the type of work the firm does within it (e.g., public M&A work) or maybe the breadth of the practice. The goal being to figure out how the firm views itself and why it thinks its appealing. Chambers, the firm website, and googling should provide a good picture. Poking around the website to see if they have something else they highlight (e.g., Cahill and a free-market system) is also a good idea.

Good luck and stay positive (you still have to make a good impression on callbacks). As hard as it is, try not to worry about other people, get down on yourself, or daydream about doing things differently. Just apply until you have no more reason to and use whatever resources your school provides.

bk1

Diamond

Postby bk1 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here, sent out another 30 emails today, with 5 tailored, and I think I'm done with this shit... I'm just gonna wait...

If serious: this is dumb. You've given up after 2 days of mass mailing?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

also interested

I got a decent number of callbacks (either straight to or after a screener) from mid-late August applications (all after the 20th). I took them in early September and was done by the middle of the month. I didn't strike out at OCI, but I also wasn't happy with my results and decided to apply like crazy for fear of being the last one standing.

I was also the anon above who provided the targeted sentence advice. When I was figuring out how to go about MMing, the prevailing wisdom seemed to be number of applications over everything. And that's definitely important (I sent out around 100). But I think a tailored sentence in the email & cover letter, following-up, and not getting discouraged are the most important things. The last being especially difficult. Instead of saying you're interested in firm X because of the strength of the practice, mention the type of work the firm does within it (e.g., public M&A work) or maybe the breadth of the practice. The goal being to figure out how the firm views itself and why it thinks its appealing. Chambers, the firm website, and googling should provide a good picture. Poking around the website to see if they have something else they highlight (e.g., Cahill and a free-market system) is also a good idea.

Good luck and stay positive (you still have to make a good impression on callbacks). As hard as it is, try not to worry about other people, get down on yourself, or daydream about doing things differently. Just apply until you have no more reason to and use whatever resources your school provides.

Any insight on whether MM screener or straight to CB depended on anything? Were your straight to CBs dependent upon your GPA being higher than what that firm usually takes?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

also interested

Any insight on whether MM screener or straight to CB depended on anything? Were your straight to CBs dependent upon your GPA being higher than what that firm usually takes?

No. I was median at MVPB so there were no firms where my GPA was higher than what they usually take (at least in terms of V50s/100s). I actually think the higher GPA / large class firms are the better bet because they have room to take risks. Apply everywhere. You never know when something on your application will catch a recruiter's eye.

Return to “Legal Employment�