Would this be an unreasonable ask?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Would this be an unreasonable ask?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:04 pm

I'm starting a Biglaw job soon. My longtime SO (5 years) is considering accepting a job on the west coast. We aren't trying to get married/engaged any time soon and don't live together.

My office is typically very laid back. Decent number of associates on PT schedules or who don't come into the office on Fridays. Once the new year hits, would it be unreasonable to ask if I could work 2 days a month in my firm's office in her city (probably a Friday and the following Monday). If it isn't per se unreasonable, what factors are gonna make it more/less reasonable (other than putting out good work product, obviously)?

philosoraptor

Silver

Re: Would this be an unreasonable ask?

Postby philosoraptor » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:07 pm

This doesn't sound reasonable unless you're married or engaged. Even then, you need to have built up a lot of goodwill to ask for something like this.

fxb3

New

Postby fxb3 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:23 pm

It's very firm/culture dependent, but in my view it seems a little odd to try to make it an official thing (i.e. someone official at the firm emailing you that they've agreed that you can work "18 days a month in the office in NYC, 2 days a month in LA"). More commonly, you'll probably find that it's perfectly fine and acceptable for you to get a guest office out there for a few days a month, and tell anyone back in NYC, "I'll be working from the LA office for the rest of the week, here's the number if you need to reach me." No one really bats an eye at that kind of thing.

That informal strategy is probably what I'd recommend pursuing. If, however, your SO was taking that job temporarily (e.g. a clerkship) and was your fiancé, I'd feel more comfortable making it at least informally official with someone at the firm. ("Because my fiancé will be clerking in LA for the next year, I was wondering if it would be okay to occasionally work out of our LA office when I visit -- no more than 2 days a month or so.") But without engagement, or if the job she's taking is permanent, it's harder to justify. And would just raise a lot of questions about your relationship, your commitment to the office that hired you, etc.

thegrayman

Silver

Postby thegrayman » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:35 pm

I don't think a big firm would be open to a formally-structured arrangement like that, probably better to just try and angle as many trips to that office as you can informally. After you start try to get in good with some partners in that office and see if they can pull you onto an assignment that will land you in that office occasionally.

reasonable_man

Gold

Postby reasonable_man » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:36 pm

This is a little bit harder to negotiate because you're so junior. If you were more senior, it would be easier. It also invites the observation that you'll be leaving work a little early to catch a flight on Thursday evening and the same on Monday evening.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:59 pm

OP here. These are exactly the kinda things I was thinking . Thanks for the help!

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:33 pm

Won't ever know if you don't ask...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:47 pm

OP. Yeah, I think I'll run it by my associate mentor once I get started.

Return to “Legal Employment?