Starting Early as a First-Year

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 309424
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Starting Early as a First-Year

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:18 pm

I am an incoming first-year at a big firm in NYC. I was planning on doing a bar trip like everyone else, but an immediate family member got really sick so I decided to stay to spend more time with them. My start date is late September, but I'm strapped for cash, so I was thinking of asking to start early. My thoughts are that no one would care if I asked to start early, but they will probably say no because my start date is fairly close. I can ask for an advance, but I'd rather just start early, because I don't have much to do. Would really appreciate any advice on whether it would hurt to ask. I can't see a reason why it would, but I could be missing something.

Anon only because I've discussed this with a couple friends.

ETA: Took the bar in July.

User avatar
Johann

Diamond
Posts: 19689
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:25 pm

Re: Starting Early as a First-Year

Postby Johann » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:27 pm

it hurts to ask because it makes you look like you dont understand how this works. it inconveniences the firm to have to train you separately from the others. dont ask. spend more time with your sick family member. sorry about your family.

omar1

Bronze
Posts: 143
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:41 am

Re: Starting Early as a First-Year

Postby omar1 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:41 pm

Go work in "s#it" law/ doc review for $15/hour. That way you will earn some cash and will appreciate getting paaaaid once you start biglaw :D

run26.2

Silver
Posts: 988
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:35 am

Re: Starting Early as a First-Year

Postby run26.2 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:17 pm

Did you summer there? If so, call up someone you worked with that you have a decent relationship with and talk to them about it. At the firms I have worked at, there have been exceptions to the regular start dates, but family emergencies have resulted in delaying, not advancing, the start date.
Last edited by run26.2 on Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309424
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Starting Early as a First-Year

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:17 pm

do contract work or sell shit online for the time being. you already have a 180K lined up.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309424
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Starting Early as a First-Year

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am an incoming first-year at a big firm in NYC. I was planning on doing a bar trip like everyone else, but an immediate family member got really sick so I decided to stay to spend more time with them. My start date is late September, but I'm strapped for cash, so I was thinking of asking to start early. My thoughts are that no one would care if I asked to start early, but they will probably say no because my start date is fairly close. I can ask for an advance, but I'd rather just start early, because I don't have much to do. Would really appreciate any advice on whether it would hurt to ask. I can't see a reason why it would, but I could be missing something.

Anon only because I've discussed this with a couple friends.

ETA: Took the bar in July.


I'm taking bar in Feb and they are letting me start earlier

Anonymous User
Posts: 309424
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Starting Early as a First-Year

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:44 pm

I really appreciate all of the responses! And, yeah, I was at the firm last summer, and there are associates that I had good relationships with that I can ask.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309424
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Starting Early as a First-Year

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:02 pm

omar1 wrote:Go work in "s#it" law/ doc review for $15/hour. That way you will earn some cash and will appreciate getting paaaaid once you start biglaw :D


You can do doc review without bar passage?

thegrayman

Silver
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 5:56 pm

Re: Starting Early as a First-Year

Postby thegrayman » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:12 pm

Firms have a structured start and training system, I wouldn't ask them to start early. Plus, once you start your social life is over, so enjoy it while it lasts.

User avatar
glitched

Silver
Posts: 1083
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 9:50 am

Re: Starting Early as a First-Year

Postby glitched » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:30 pm

Unless you're really strapped for cash, you should enjoy the free time and spend it with your family/friends. You're never going to have that kind of time again.

If you really need money though, I don't think this is that unreasonable to ask. First week "training" is to teach you how to use your computers, phone, and the firm's policies. I don't think it's that expensive/burdensome to have the firm set it up for you. Just don't expect hot breakfast in the mornings. And by the time the stub year ends, no one's going to even remember. In fact, if your group is slammed, you might even be helping them.

If you were close to any of your firm's recruiters, I'd ask them casually, but still professionally, whether it's possible based on your circumstances. Be gracious and understanding, and don't act entitled. Email should be fine for this. If you're not comfortable doing that, or you weren't close to your recruiters, ask a junior that you developed a relationship with (as the poster above suggested). Sure it's outside of protocol, but if the firm says no, it's not going to harm you as long as you come off as sincere.

User avatar
2014

Platinum
Posts: 6027
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: Starting Early as a First-Year

Postby 2014 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:43 am

There's 0 chance they say yes if it's a firm with a sizable incoming class - they have formal trainings and can't accommodate random people starting off schedule. Get a 0% credit card.

omar1

Bronze
Posts: 143
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:41 am

Re: Starting Early as a First-Year

Postby omar1 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:
omar1 wrote:Go work in "s#it" law/ doc review for $15/hour. That way you will earn some cash and will appreciate getting paaaaid once you start biglaw :D


You can do doc review without bar passage?

There are some places that allow "JDs" to do doc review. They pay them less than attorneys, but I'm not exactly sure how it's set up, since you should be admitted to do doc review. But I've seen ads.



Return to “Legal Employment�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.