How far out can I schedule the call-backs without backfire?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
stargre6811

New

How far out can I schedule the call-backs without backfire?

Postby stargre6811 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:54 pm

Still have a full-time job, which is why I cannot do it very quick.
Does it make a difference if it is a different city or not?
Also, typically how soon will firms extend offers after the call-backs? A bracket of time will be good.

thegrayman

Silver

Re: How far out can I schedule the call-backs without backfire?

Postby thegrayman » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:55 pm

the further you push it back the less open slots there will be when you finally interview, just something to keep in mind. Unless it's a logistical nightmare for you, I would knock out the callbacks asap.

favabeansoup

Bronze

Postby favabeansoup » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:07 pm

thegrayman wrote:the further you push it back the less open slots there will be when you finally interview, just something to keep in mind. Unless it's a logistical nightmare for you, I would knock out the callbacks asap.

This. Much easier to get hired earlier you do the callback. Later you do the callback, less spots are open, more closely you'll be scrutinized versus other candidates. Do it asap. (Assuming this is for OCI/summer associate hiring?)

Offers after callbacks can happen same day, next day, or a few days after. More than a week or two later typically means a ding.

What do you mean does it make a difference if a different city? Like you are interviewing in a different city than the one you live in? Doesn't make substantial difference in terms of timeline you should follow. Having a full time job during interviews and callbacks is rough I'm sorry. Ideally it should be your full attention until you get an offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:11 pm

Not OP, but I have a relevant question: what's considered early? If I got callback invitations last week and then scheduled the interviews for the last week of August, will that hurt me?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:Not OP, but I have a relevant question: what's considered early? If I got callback invitations last week and then scheduled the interviews for the last week of August, will that hurt me?

also curious about this

Winter is Coming

Bronze

Postby Winter is Coming » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Not OP, but I have a relevant question: what's considered early? If I got callback invitations last week and then scheduled the interviews for the last week of August, will that hurt me?

also curious about this

To be blunt: ASAP means ASAP, big firms will be doing callbacks and giving out offers almost everyday. They won't be holding spots, especially this year with all the early offers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:42 am

Why so late? I scheduled all mine within a week of the callback offer, and I have one SA offer already. If you can do it earlier, I definitely would.

unlicensedpotato

Silver

Postby unlicensedpotato » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:59 am

do them ASAP

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:02 pm

My school's OCI is later than a lot of schools (this week & next week). So, when I scheduled some CBs the earliest slots they had available were the first week of September. Definitely worried.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My school's OCI is later than a lot of schools (this week & next week). So, when I scheduled some CBs the earliest slots they had available were the first week of September. Definitely worried.

That's probably just when they start doing them. Don't worry if you got the earliest available spot. Worry if you got a callback and scheduled it for three weeks later when you could have done it within the same week.

Return to “Legal Employment�