In terms of work life balance in a IP litigation firm

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

In terms of work life balance in a IP litigation firm

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:44 am

Is mId-sized firm like Desmarais, knobby, etc, still better than big law like Latham and jones day? Any insights?

Abbie Doobie

Silver

Re: In terms of work life balance in a IP litigation firm

Postby Abbie Doobie » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:55 am

desmarais is probably going to be the same if not worse than latham, jd, etc. knobbe is more of a prosecution boutique that does some lit and really isn't comparable to desmarais or big law.

run26.2

Silver

Postby run26.2 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:39 am

Knobbe is not really comparable to Desmarais or biglaw firms, but it is a firm you should look into if you are interested in work-life balance. I think it is one of the few firms that do a reasonably good job at succeeding in that regard.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:46 pm

run26.2 wrote:Knobbe is not really comparable to Desmarais or biglaw firms

In the sense of prestige, or stress? Knobbe is ranked higher than Desmarais on Vault IP boutique list -- or is that all because of a prosecution reputation which Desmarais does not do? Tell me more plz. Where can I get a sense of prestige ranking with patent litigation and prosecution separated? Or prestige is only a big law thing?

run26.2

Silver

Postby run26.2 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:14 pm

There is a myriad of differences, including size, which side of the v they tend to be on, geographical concentration, prestige, hours, pay, type of work (pros. v. lit, size of cases) but I was mainly talking about culture.

While I don't know anyone at Desmarais, I can only speculate that it is as intense as biglaw. Most lit boutiques are probably even more intense than biglaw. Knobbe is less intense, from what I can tell. Rather than focusing on "prestige," I would ask myself what my career goals were and see if one or the other is better at getting you there.

Return to “Legal Employment�