Schulte v. Dechert v. Paul Hastings (all NY)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which to choose?

Schulte
48%
Dechert
9%
Paul Hastings
43%

Total votes: 46

Anonymous User

Re: Schulte v. Dechert v. Paul Hastings (all NY)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:40 pm

Yeah, the real moneymakers aren't the named parents these days.

And sidenote, if they didn't show you the pics of what the firm will look like when the remodeling is done it's pretty sweet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:04 pm

Can s/o explain why there are so many people on TLS who seem to either undervalue Schulte or be openly derisive of it?

It's one of many options I'm currently considering, and in speaking to partners and associates at many top firms there seems to be a consensus; that Schulte has top-notch corporate practices and is viewed as a V20 or better in NY corporate circles, not to mention its status as the top Investment Management and Hedge Fund firm in the country.

True, it is not international and is a NY only firm, but for s/o looking to work in NY shouldn't that be all that matters?

The TLS Schulte wisdom seems to be way off in many threads, why?

thermidor9

New

Postby thermidor9 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can s/o explain why there are so many people on TLS who seem to either undervalue Schulte or be openly derisive of it?

It's one of many options I'm currently considering, and in speaking to partners and associates at many top firms there seems to be a consensus; that Schulte has top-notch corporate practices and is viewed as a V20 or better in NY corporate circles, not to mention its status as the top Investment Management and Hedge Fund firm in the country.

True, it is not international and is a NY only firm, but for s/o looking to work in NY shouldn't that be all that matters?

The TLS Schulte wisdom seems to be way off in many threads, why?

Don't overthink this. It's #80 on the Vault rankings, and has only two practices groups (Hedge Funds, and Securitization) ranked on the nationwide Chambers rankings at all. It may be a great firm, yada yada, but any group of people drawing from a broad group of practices are either going to know 1) the generally super prestigious firms (V15+); or 2) the firms ranked well within their own individual practice areas. To compare to the other firms named here, Paul Hastings is ranked in 11 practice groups on Chambers, while Dechert is ranked in 7.

Maybe Chambers doesn't know what it's talking about, but if you want to know why they're not at the top of most people's "prestige" list, that's why. People mostly just look at the rankings. What kind of level of respect do you think they should command?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:06 pm

Anon from above.

I appreciate the response, but my question was specifically with regards to practicing in NY and the perception therein. Your response was to quote their national vault ranking and their national chambers ranking.

Chambers has them at Band 2 for M&A in New York. Band 2, at least the way I see it, is right on the cusp of being elite.
It also has Band 3 rankings in Bankruptcy and Real Estate, and is well regarded in Tax.
Not to mention many Band 1 and Band 2 lawyers.
Lastly, it is top 20 in the country in PPP.

Again, yes it is a V80 nationally, because it doesn't have offices or practices elsewhere.....but for s/o looking to practice corp in NY, it seems to be undervalued in these forums. Just my take after lots of research over the last couple of months.

thermidor9

New

Postby thermidor9 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:16 pm

Most people tend to use the nationwide Chambers rankings in my experience. Those are what drive most people's perception I find, not local city rankings.

You are free to use local rankings if you like, but if you're asking why Schulte isn't held in higher regard generally, I'd venture that's why.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anon from above.

I appreciate the response, but my question was specifically with regards to practicing in NY and the perception therein. Your response was to quote their national vault ranking and their national chambers ranking.

Chambers has them at Band 2 for M&A in New York. Band 2, at least the way I see it, is right on the cusp of being elite.
It also has Band 3 rankings in Bankruptcy and Real Estate, and is well regarded in Tax.

Again, yes it is a V80 nationally, because it doesn't have offices or practices elsewhere.....but for s/o looking to practice corp in NY, it seems to be undervalued in these forums. Just my take after lots of research over the last couple of months.

Does London count for nothing! (and the DC litigators)

TBF, from my experience, people actually seem to love SRZ on this board, but I think they need to up their current tech and maybe make some homegrown partners in IM. Definitely punches above weight in NYC, but there are real tangible benefits to working at a firm that is more well regarded in a variety of areas with multiple offices if you're not set on being a compliance/fundraising/private fund type person in NYC. Also, good exits outside of IM, including in the BT group, seem to be much less widely available.

SRZ has definitely vastly improved its rep from the days of it being a warehouse churning and burning form docs pre-financial crisis and is a fine firm. Nothing wrong in choosing it above those listed in this thread.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anon from above.

It's Band 2 "highly regarded" which is more like Band 7 considering there are 5 bands of "elite".

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:09 pm

People at SRZ really seem to love it too.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:52 pm

I'll second the above. The associates I met during my Schulte callback were definitely the happiest bunch from among the firms I visited.

Return to “Legal Employment�